ebinmaine

Bit chilly out

ebinmaine

I live on the south face of the southernmost White Mountains of Maine. It gets cold here. But I've been in my house for nearly 13 years and this is the lowest I can remember it.

IMG_0531.PNG.974d282c2e80c12084816cff3d439cec.PNG

You know, it may be incredibly cold but these completely still winter mornings are something to behold. Beautiful Cloud striped Sunrise coming up behind ice covered trees. 200 plus year old homes with the smoke coming up out of the chimney stick straight. Everything covered in a fresh film of white.

Snowshoeing in the forest with my favorite people tomorrow. Wood stove Heat. Repeat. It's going to be a good weekend.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

JC 1965

It's been down in the single digits here 0-10 above for about 2 weeks. I hate it. These old bones can't take the cold like they use to.    :no:

• Like 5

Jerry77
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

this is the lowest I can remember it.

It's that doggone old global warming..getting worse and worse....etc...:ychain:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

Sarge

We've had a full week now of high temps of less than 15*F , looks like the next 5 days are going to more of the same or even worse . Living in the plains states means winds in the winter - and that leads to real issues . Storms coming in today and won't finish up until late at night - then tomorrow the usual back flow of winds will kick in with gusts pushing 25mph or more , right when you need to go out and clean up after the storm . I'll probably have to wait until Sunday to plow - high of 6*F but winds are suppose to die down so it should stop drifting here . It can be quite a beautiful sight looking across the land at the new snow - but it's pretty flat and not much else to look at...lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:banana-skier:

• Like 2

ztnoo

Here's the forecast for the next few days here in north central Indiana. Doesn't look like fun to me.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Gas+City&state=IN&site=IWX&lat=40.4892&lon=-85.6077#.WkZe1XlG3Vi

Today
Snow likely, mainly after 3pm. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 17. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 11. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy and cold, with a temperature falling to around 5 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -4. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday
Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 9. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around -6.
New Year's Day
Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 3.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around -10.
Tuesday
Sunny and cold, with a high near 5.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 0.
Wednesday
Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 14.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3.
Thursday
Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 9.
  • Like 4

Racinbob

It must be our 'welcome back home' after 17 years in Florida. :greetings-waveyellow:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

It must be our 'welcome back home' after 17 years in Florida. :greetings-waveyellow:

Oh so this is YOUR fault !!??:teasing-poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Racinbob

:text-imsorry:.............................:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:
New Year's Day
Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 3

:text-happynewyear:

• Like 5

Jerry77
3 hours ago, ztnoo said:
New Year's Day
Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 3.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around -10

You could move to sunny southern Indiana where it will be:  12 degrees/ -5  on Monday...heat wave...:banana-dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

I had to work in a freezer yesterday that was warmer than it was outside! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

I had to work in a freezer yesterday that was warmer than it was outside! :)

Must have been nearly shorts and t-shirt weather inside that freezer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You know, it may be incredibly cold but these completely still winter mornings are something to behold. Beautiful Cloud striped Sunrise coming up behind ice covered trees. 200 plus year old homes with the smoke coming up out of the chimney stick straight. Everything covered in a fresh film of white.

Snowshoeing in the forest with my favorite people tomorrow. Wood stove Heat. Repeat. It's going to be a good weekend.

:text-worthless:        C'mon Eric....we need pictures.

IMG_5367.JPG.27ebcc20e849bab8e9c84cca8ab8b6d7.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-worthless:        C'mon Eric....we need pictures.

IMG_5367.JPG.27ebcc20e849bab8e9c84cca8ab8b6d7.JPG

Hahaha!

I can't go back in time to this morning to get you any views of what I was seeing but I'll get my honey - she's the photographer - to get some tomorrow.

• Thanks 2

JPWH

Sure is pretty. I'm glad I need a ladder to reach my roof. 23 when I left this morning and 54 when I got home.

ebinmaine
47 minutes ago, JPWH said:

54 when I got home.

:happy-bouncyredfire:

• Haha 1

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

Sure is pretty. I'm glad I need a ladder to reach my roof. 23 when I left this morning and 54 when I got home.

Thanks for rubbing that in our face! :ychain:      54* I wish! 

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling
  • Haha 1

Digger 66

The lowest I've seen it around here was -18

The day this picture was taken it was -12 

I couldn't agree more that there's something very special about a crispy , crunchy morning .

The shafts of light off the lightpoles reaching (seemingly endlessly) skyward .

The depth of the peace and quiet is deafening ....

Then I press the HAPPY BUTTON .

RL2ia9n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

It got down to 7 here a couple mornings ago...that's pretty cold for here in Oklahoma. Last report I saw they are forecasting lows of around 5 for Sunday with possible wind chills of 20-25 below...really hoping I don't get called in that day...it's cold here in the rv but it's even colder in and out of the truck all day

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

The depth of the peace and quiet is deafening ...

Another one of my favorite things - the "sound" of silence.

City folk don't understand how "loud" a dead quiet actually is.

The mind installs a background white noise for a lot of us because we don't comprehend - no sound input.

Middle of the night, after a foot snow, no traffic in the valley, no wind, one of my favorite times....

18 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

You could move to sunny southern Indiana where it will be:  12 degrees/ -5  on Monday...heat wave...:banana-dance:

Forecast for 14 here today. wow.

-20 Again here this morning.

• Like 3

Jerry77
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

-20 Again here this morning

Back about 25 years ago ( when I was still working ) we had three nights at more than -20....spent the nights trying to get warm...was supposed to be welding on some cast iron fixtures but ????    w a y   t o o    c o l d   for that .....you can keep it up there..:lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

you can keep it up there..:lol:

:no::text-thankyoublue:

I'd rather send it back from whence it came...

• Like 1

Sarge

We're under an extreme cold advisory until next Tuesday at noon due to the winds  - high Monday is 0*F , lol . Worst part is the winds here , we're at 900' elevation and while it doesn't sound like much it's the open prairie and there is nothing to really slow the winds down - today is pushing 25mph with wind chills to -25*F at best this morning and goes downhill from there . We've set record wind chills past -60*F a few times years back , but those were short cold spells - this one has lasted for 3wks now and shows little signs of changing until spring . No wonder a huge population here goes to Florida or south Texas for the winter - I'm about to join them...

Sarge

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

All this cold talk brings back memories (nightmares) of a January, 1968  that I spent working in Hull, Quebec  starting up and commissioning  a new hydro plant on the Chaudiere  Falls.

The temp ranged from -5 high to -25 lows,     I had a team of three divers that were lowered by a crane thru a hole in the 10" thick frozen river ice where they used a pry  bar to remove the

stop logs that were used to shut off the water to the turbine .  They could only stay under for 30 minutes at a time.  It took 2 weeks to remove the logs and water up the turbine.

I eventually did get a successful  start up  and to my knowledge, the Allis Chalmers Turbine is still producing electricity today.

Sure wish I had pictures of this operation....I'm guessing OSHA would not approve today.   Oh, the good old days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaudière_Falls#cite_note-32

Image result for antique diver pictures

• Like 1