How much snow did you get Ed?

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

:popcorn:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, WHX12 said:

How much snow did you get Ed?

Like Jack,  I'm still waiting Jim.   Some snow is in the forecast for this Saturday.   :rolleyes::handgestures-fingerscrossed:    The snow team is getting antsy.

squonk

I was at a school Near Rochester N.Y. yesterday finishing up a repair on a swimming pool AHU of all things. The sun was out and like 5 deg with a strong westerly wind. My co-hort calls and asks if I have any Hot Shot R-12 replacement on the truck. I say yes. He asks if I could bring it to him. He's about 20 mi east of me. I say sure. He says drive careful it's a white out here. I get about 5 miles to him and it starts dumping. There's about 8 inches on the ground and when I get to the school, I can't see the entrance road or even the school bldg for that matter. :) :banana-skier:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

I just heard  these low temps are expected to freeze over the lakes and stop the lake effect snow.

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

temps are expected to freeze over the lakes

Too many BTUs of heat in the lakes this early in the season, not likely.

• Like 1

WHX??

Did get about an inch today here not much more than a dusting but enough to make the roads greasy. Went to start the 520 and battery couldn't cut the mustard. Even had a trickle on it. Might  be  the -1 temp had a little something to do with it too! Older batt and probably got a dead cell so it's not like I didn't see it coming. Jumped it out got it running and in to the shop for a quick swap & some cab time. Driveway didn't really need it but I was jonesing! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Yes, I remember those days from my past when I lived near Syracuse, NY. That played into my decision to retire in NC.

5a450e534b2fd_Snowatthefarm.jpg.1aa4e49f341d30a801f6aa6cdf203cf2.jpg

Did you cut that path with a 953 Dick ? I know, Go to bed BRF

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

squonk
7 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Did you cut that path with a 953 Dick ? I know, Go to bed BRF

Dick was younger in those days. He used a shovel! :lol:

We had a road look just like that after  Super Storm 93. I drove though it to go look at a :wh: snowblower that was for sale that day. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Dick was younger in those days. He used a shovel! :lol:

We had a road look just like that after  Super Storm 93. I drove though it to go look at a :wh: snowblower that was for sale that day. :)

May have been Jim & BRF, had our Suspenders in a tangle, said Jim, you take the right side of road & i Have the left, Coal Shovels were a smokin then, jim hand me sum of that Old Granddad ;-) 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Clearly, a chimichanga induced delirium. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1958+somerset+pa+snow+storm&qpvt=1958+somerset+pa+snow+storm&view=detail&mid=2CB6DED3A337CAD19F6C2CB6DED3A337CAD19F6C&rvsmid=38D3A3E01062E536192E38D3A3E01062E536192E&FORM=VDQVAP

The 1958 storm closed our school for 2 weeks.   A huge blower finally became available and it took 3 days to open the 17 mile road from our home to the school.  The blower made a passing lane about every mile, but for the most part, the road was one lane until warmer temps melted the snow.   Many residents including myself worked for the Township opening local roads with shovels.

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

I still say were gonna get Nailed soon or by Feb, not just once either.......... @AMC RULES when it happens no taco bell for this old man, Wild Turkey 101 in a snow bank, i'll be down to my Shorts, T-shirt & Dan Post cowboy boots when done Yodeling Sweet Home Alabama hahahaha, Dont picture that please 

• Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool video...But...UUHHHMMM...the reporter says: "...estimated death toll at half a million..."? I'm thinking that's a typo in the script...!!!

That would be even more than one hell of a storm...

Ed Kennell
22 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

...estimated death toll at half a million...

It was a super storm Jim,  but that is definitely an error.  I think that number was those w/o power.   Around 300 died.

Snowmobilers were the heroes, delivering food and medications to the snowbound.

I was a happy camper....2 weeks vacation from school and I made the big bucks shoveling snow.

Southampton Township was paying $0.63 / hour for snow shovel  operators.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

1958 storm closed our school for 2 weeks.

I was in the Syracuse NY area at the time and remember it well. We literally had a hand dug tunnel from the house to the chicken coop. That area always drifted so once the snow drift got to six feet we put planks over the drift and  it drifted over them. It was actually kind of warm in the tunnel.

We had to clear the road and driveway to the barn with a manure bucket mounter on one of the tractors, didn't have a front end loader and it was way too deep to plow. Took several days before a milk truck could get to us and we had to dump a few day's of milking because we ran out of cans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ericj
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

We literally had a hand dug tunnel from the house to the chicken coop.

now a days they say you can't and shouldn't do that it might collapse and kill you lol

eric j

• Like 1