Fordiesel69

Rebuilt my last tecky carb.....predator the answer?

Fordiesel69

I have rebuilt each of my techky carba only to have them last a year or two max.  The ethanol really eats them up.  So for my snowblowers and rototillers I am seriously thinking of using a predator.  Are these any good?  For my snowblower would it be safe to run them a bit higher RPM if I am not concerend about lifespan.  I ask because of the flywheel.  

Also my snowblower is an 8HP flat head.  Would a 6.5HP predator be a good swap or will I loose power?

squonk

Any non-ethanol gas stations in your area? 

• Like 2

pfrederi

You can buy Techy carbs (china knockoffs) dirt cheap on ebay and other  places.  My L-107 has soldiered on with the same carb since about 1990.  She gets regular gas nothing special and is used year round.  I did replace the carb on my walk behind snow blower after about 10 years (Used  cheap knock off).  Until last year she got only regular gas now she gets ethanol free..  The Troybilt tiller with a techy was my Fathers form the1960/70s and she get used just about every year and is still on original carb. (I do drain her and run her dry after use.

What is failing in your carbs the inlet valve seat or something else?

EDIT:  You can get carb bowls with drains on many Techy carbs and there is a lot of interchangeability with he bowls.

Edited by pfrederi

slammer302

I think the predator engines are great I've had good luck with them. I have a friend who is really into gocarting and says the fly wheels are rated above 3600rpm but I can't remember what the max was 4500?

cschannuth

I put a Predator my dad had on the shelf on a 606 roller and have been very impressed. It starts on the first pull every time and it is very powerful. I even upsized the engine pulley for added speed and it still has grunt to spare. 

Achto
5 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

Also my snowblower is an 8HP flat head.  Would a 6.5HP predator be a good swap or will I loose power?

If you have an 8hp now then I would replace it with the 301cc/8hp Predator. :twocents-twocents:

slim67

I have a 212 on my log splitter and have nothing bad to to say about it especially for 99.00. 

• Like 1

littleredrider

Run 91 or 93 octane. Back years ago when I had another herd of horses, they sat for months at a time without even being looked at. They would start on the 2-3 pull ever time or 2-3 seconds of turning the key. Never had any carb issues. But I have a Predator now, and that never gets run, it's a long term project that I don't have at my house. But whenever I go there, I'll fire it up, and starts on 2-3 pull. I've had them before and are great engines.