Bexter207

Snow Blower

Bexter207

So I have a 312 Wheel Horse. I have the Snow Blower attached and it was working great. I was using it last night when all of a sudden I heard a bang up near the the blower. I quickly disengaged the PTO lifter the blower and backed up to see if I had hit something. After inspecting i found that i did not hit anything. So I started clearing out any snow I realized nothing was stuck and the shear pins were still good. The augers had the normal amount of play. So I fired it back up and tried to engage the pto again it kind of bogged down and stalled out the engine almost. So I drove it to where i had better light. I could not see anything wrong still so I decided to try to engage it one more time to see if I could see anything. Well it started throwing so I decided to test it out and it worked fine. Then as I was going along it just stopped throwing again. So I don't know what it is. I plan on taking a look at the gearbox when I get home to make sure that's all set. Just thought I would check to see if any of you have suggestions of what I could check.

1995 520H+96+97

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs::wwp:

You have a 2 stage blower?

• Like 1

Bexter207

Yea, It was working great too! Love this little buggy!

output_02.jpg

output_03.jpg

Edited by Bexter207
  • Like 3

Kurt-NEPA

When it quit, did the impeller keep turning and the auger stopped.  If yes, check the shear bolts on auger, just inside the end plates.  If both the auger and impeller stopped, I would make sure the belt is not slipping. Maybe you broke a tension spring.  Third thought, is the PTO slipping?  A broken lining could be the cause.

Nice unit you have there, I have one almost the same.  They are a beast in the snow.

Hope you find the problem.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, Bexter207 said:

output_03.jpg

See the auger gearbox covered in snow, they are notorious for leaking, therefore a watch on the gear oil level before use is in order, the gear set in there is made of a "soft" bronze and won't take much abuse before the teeth becoming missing that would be suggestion to check if the Jack shaft to impeller drive chain is good and not rusted brittle and binding or the wooden tension block not worn out and letting the drive chain flop and bind thats the 3 big things I would check first, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171226-194741.png

• Like 2

Forest Road

Top off the gear box every year. I gone so far as to heat the gear lube in a pot of hot water. When I'm planning ahead I'll bring it in the house and leave by woodstove overnight. Either way wife thinks I'm insane.

Take your  belt off spin the pulley by hand. You shouldn't have a problem figuring out if the 90 gear box or the auger gears are your problem. Best of luck

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Forest Road said:

Top off the gear box every year. I gone so far as to heat the gear lube in a pot of hot water. When I'm planning ahead I'll bring it in the house and leave by woodstove overnight. Either way wife thinks I'm insane.

Take your  belt off spin the pulley by hand. You shouldn't have a problem figuring out if the 90 gear box or the auger gears are your problem. Best of luck

Hey Kevin, good to see you and good advice. Dont worry bout the Mrs.  Mine thinks I am out there to. 

Glenn

• Excellent 1

Bexter207

Well I have an update everyone. It turns out the keyway for got sheared which made the set screws get worn. it is the key up by the chain. So I got the key and set screws ordered. The shop just told me they might not be able to pick it up till next week and we have another big storm coming in for Thursday. I'm thinking about trying my hand at it. From what I was told the hardest part will be removing the pulley. We will see how it goes. Have any of you ever had to replace that key? Any tips to try and make the process easier for me lol.

in the picture it is the shaft behind the chain that is spinning.IMG_20171227_133550.jpg.56de11d758c8cd114bfa97f0c18682d7.jpg

Kurt-NEPA

Is it the gear box sprocket or the impeller shaft sprocket.  The gear box looks loose in your pic, but I would guess you did that.

The set screws and keys are hardware store items, easily available at True-Value or Ace, maybe even a good lumber yard or TSC. 

Unless the end of the shafts are mushroomed, the sprocket usually come off easy with a puller.  When you put them back on check for alignment before tightening.  Also, check the idler sprocket and chain while you have it apart. 

• Like 2

Bexter207

It is the sprocket near the gear box i believe. I did not loosen that. I guess they had to weld a bracket to mount it on the blower. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to remove the blower. Thank you! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Bexter207 said:

It is the sprocket near the gear box i believe. I did not loosen that. I guess they had to weld a bracket to mount it on the blower. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to remove the blower. Thank you! 

Looks like you're due for at least a foot of the white stuff. Ask careful questions and these guys will get that thing repaired for you remotely. They do great work!

Edited by ebinmaine

Kurt-NEPA

I'm working from memory here, but I think you can remove the blower from the frame with four bolts.  Two on each side.  Back off the chain tension and remove the chain first.  Then you have access to the sprockets.  Not too bad a job if you have warm and dry place to work.

Again, if memory serves me, the key is 3/16" square by 1-1/4" long and the set screws are 1/4-20 square heads.  You might be able to salvage the set screws as they are hardened and usually survive.

I would straight out the gear box alignment.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

A couple of pictures from mine if they help

Frames.jpg.2cecb727792877ce7b6b568f4e9f9af0.jpg

Under tractor frame is upside down.

Gearbox.jpg.918e5eef1727f7abd79457d2e47f1634.jpg5a4d473c2ceb4_Gearbox3.jpg.c884c20a67462b75135d6dc729767ea1.jpg5a4d473d99f8a_Gearbox4.jpg.febdb95ef8b2dfb296fdfbcae488d9e9.jpg5a4d473ebedac_GearboxandTensioner.thumb.jpg.6acdd72902adf97876a9ae0fea13e33a.jpgGearbox.jpg.918e5eef1727f7abd79457d2e47f1634.jpg

Gearbox 2.jpg

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

The gear box pulley shouldn't be to bad to get off after removing the idler pulley and shaft I believe there's a set screw holding it to the jackshaft/gearbox, I disassembled mine 2 years ago (not quite as far as @Kurt-NEPA) and refurbishing it painted all the pulleys replaced chain and tensioner bushings to bearings went through the auger gearbox ect ,had sat outside uncovered for years,  and yes your jackshaft/gear definitely looks out of alignment since its bolted flat to the frame with 2 bolts, also check the oil level in it too after you get it off,  Jeff.

IMAG1707.jpg

IMAG1594.jpg

Kurt-NEPA

Mine coming home Jeff.  Looks a lot like yours.  The only good bearing on this was in the main gear box.  Everything else was  toast.  Lot of work getting this running.  But it was well worth it.

5a4d69d0b0c3b_MyTwoStageComingHome.jpg.9346e3fff2c631e1cbd883f77c818d61.jpg

• Excellent 1