ebinmaine

Which axle is heavier on a mid 70s c - 160 with no mower?

ebinmaine

My father wants to know if he should drive-on, or back on, to the nose of a 6 by 10 U-Haul trailer with one single tractor?

He has vast experience Towing and a very rugged vehicle with which to do so but wants to make sure that he is balanced correctly or even a little heavy on the tongue of the trailer.

The driveway of the previous owner of this tractor is nowhere near level so he wants to try to get as close as possible which is tough to do on a hill.

What are your thoughts?

953 nut

For safety it is always best to back up the ramps onto a trailer. If you loose traction while going forward on a ramp you stand a good chance of going over backward when traction is regained. @rmaynard can attest to that.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

back up the ramps onto a trailer

I agree with that. In this case I don't think anybody is going to be on the tractor. They are either going to strap pull it up into the trailer or put it in low and idle it up the ramps...

Thanks! 

• Like 1

953 nut

The rear end tends to be heavier than the front but not a substantial difference.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

The rear end tends to be heavier than the front but not a substantial difference.

Just like me.:ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Racinbob

You definitely don't want the load 'balanced' on the trailer axle. The basic rule is you want the tongue weight to be about 15% of the total weight. In other words, if the total weight is 2000# the tongue weight should be about 300#. A 'balanced' trailer would mean sway city. About 60% of the load should be forward of the trailer axle. The axles on Uhaul trailers seem to be set a bit further back on the frame making it more likely for the unknowing loader to have more weight in front of it. Because of the variance in trailers and tow vehicles these numbers are not etched in concrete but you definitely want the trailer tongue heavy. I always used a weight distribution hitch pulling travel trailers which dispersed the tongue weight to all the axles. Even with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that could easily handle the tongue weight it still took some weight off the front axle of the truck. :)

• Like 5

RandyLittrell

I tend to just  pull on the trailer till it starts to squat the truck a little. These tractors really dont weigh that much so its really no big deal. U-haul trailers are tandem axle I think, so pretty safe to pull.

Randy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

I've always wanted to take the time and borrow a set of racing scales from our local dirt guys and weigh out some of my tractor models front to rear to get some idea of how they are weighted - especially that D-180....might get some surprises .

Sarge

• Like 3

JimmyJam
41 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I tend to just  pull on the trailer till it starts to squat the truck a little. These tractors really dont weigh that much so its really no big deal. U-haul trailers are tandem axle I think, so pretty safe to pull.

Randy

Like Randy sez: PULL the tractor onto the trailer.

My experiences of idling or driving up is not safe!! A come-along or winch is a better, slower, controlled method. I loaded my Commando 800 with flat tires on my trailer with a hand winch and placed it closer to the tongue for proper towing "balance". Hauled it 8 hours from WNY to Massachusetts, over the Berkshire Mountains (highest elevation on Interstate 90) without sway or incident. 

post-8802-0-22258500-1378253800_thumb.jpg

FYI: For extra precaution have your father bring Wheel Chocks! ...especially for the hilly driveway. Use caution if ice/snow is present. Better to park on street and roll tractor to trailer. Just my :twocents-02cents:. Best of luck!! ....and always :wwp:

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

clueless

On a 6 x 10 Uhaul trailer forward or backwards won't make much difference, if any at all. "Back that thing up".   

'

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, JimmyJam said:

FYI: For extra precaution have your father bring Wheel Chocks! ...especially for the hilly driveway

And don't do as a friend of mine did.  We were unloading a street rod project from a car trailer on his rather steep driveway, he had chocked the tires on the trailer and the truck. Unfortunately he chocked the rear tires of the truck and front tires of the trailer. A couple of us were pulling the car with a rope and one was on the trailer pushing. As we rolled the car back the trailer tilted toward the rear and all four wheels that had been chocked lifted off the ground simultaneously! The car was unloaded much faster than we had expected and his truck and trailer were at the bottom of the hill, no harm no foul. Of course the fellow who was on the trailer pushing the car off had to go home and change his shorts.             :scared-eek:

• Haha 7

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

And don't do as a friend of mine did.  We were unloading a street rod project from a car trailer on his rather steep driveway, he had chocked the tires on the trailer and the truck. Unfortunately he chocked the rear tires of the truck and front tires of the trailer. A couple of us were pulling the car with a rope and one was on the trailer pushing. As we rolled the car back the trailer tilted toward the rear and all four wheels that had been chocked lifted off the ground simultaneously! The car was unloaded much faster than we had expected and his truck and trailer were at the bottom of the hill, no harm no foul. Of course the fellow who was on the trailer pushing the car off had to go home and change his shorts.             :scared-eek:

OH NO !!

Okay so on the list so far - ratchet straps, hand or power winch, wheel chocks, extra underwear.

• Haha 7

RandyLittrell
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

OH NO !!

Okay so on the list so far - ratchet straps, hand or power winch, wheel chocks, extra underwear.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SF70SN4/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00SF70SN4&pd_rd_r=731a8619-eaa9-11e7-bb6d-df8617f41b33&pd_rd_w=pyLct&pd_rd_wg=3KbYE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=C6YXHA6S6FF1HB29X1YB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=e6624b56-7cc1-411f-9d12-9cc8feb6c214&pf_rd_i=desktop

This is on my wish list! 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cleat

If you do load the tractor backwards then make sure the hood is fully latched and the seat is tied down.

Don't want the wind to flip either up and cause damage.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, cleat said:

If you do load the tractor backwards then make sure the hood is fully latched and the seat is tied down.

Don't want the wind to flip either up and cause damage.

He's getting an enclosed trailer to avoid that.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Lee1977

With out seeing the drive way, I wouldn't make any recommendations on how to load a tractor. As for where to tie it down a 600# Wheel Horse isn't going to make much difference. On my 5'x10' double axle trailer weighting 1350 #. I pull all the way to the front this puts the the tractor in front of the front axle. There is still 4' of tongue in front of the tractor. It we are talking about a full size tractor with wheel weights and loaded tires. I would load froward and place the rear tires between the axles.

• Like 1

JoeM

6 x 10 tilt trailer, tows the best when backed on.

I use a boat winch on the trailer for those machines that don't run.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
On 12/27/2017 at 3:12 AM, ebinmaine said:

He's getting an enclosed trailer to avoid that.

Eric—with all the copious amounts of salt on the roads right now—that is a GREAT IDEA!  It didn’t dawn on me, until our first bathroom break on the way towing Caleb’s new 418-C how bad the salt solution was.  It took me several hours of cleaning to get the salt off of everything. I’m still worried that there is residue in places that I haven’t reached.  I wish now that I had ponied up the extra coin and rented an enclosed trailer for that trip...

As far as loading goes, just make sure that he has some down pressure on the tongue.  That will keep that trailer from swaying back and forth especially over the longer distance trip.  In a single tractor situation, I wouldn’t be too worried about it, they just aren’t heavy enough.  When you get thousands of pounds of weight, you need to be increasingly more cautious. 

I can’t wait to follow the progress of this “wrangle” for sure...:coffee:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I can’t wait to follow the progress of this “wrangle” for sure...:coffee:

I'll keep you all updated for sure. 

I can't wait to get the "wrangling" done so I can get it up and plowing 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat::auto-layrubber::text-happynewyear:

(Dont you just love all that you can say with emojis?):laughing-rofl:

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat::auto-layrubber::text-happynewyear:

(Dont you just love all that you can say with emojis?):laughing-rofl:

:ROTF:

953 nut

:thanks:    :text-goodpost:        :text-yeahthat:       :wwp:        :text-coolphotos:       :banana-gotpics:      :auto-driving:     :handgestures-fingerscrossed:        :auto-camptrailer:     :text-happynewyear:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

@953 nut

Well done sir !

• Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: 

@953 nut :bow-blue::clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Tristen1972
      By Tristen1972
      I have a Wheel Horse model 7-2211 yard trailer for sale. This trailer Has been repainted by the previous owner. It is not a show piece but with that being a said it is a solid trailer that would be a good worker. This trailer would be great for someone that wants one that looks decent and isn’t afraid to use it like it should be used. My price is O.B.O. for it. Feel free to ask questions and I can send more pics of it through text or email. I prefer texting or email but will accept calls on it. 
      Thanks-
      Tristen 

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      We brought my next project home last night.  I think I am going to need a BIGGER shed real soon

• shallowwatersailor
      By shallowwatersailor
      Tomorrow is the first trip with equipment to the new house. One of the advantages of the brand trailer I have (Sure Trac) is that the gate can fold down onto the deck of the trailer. It will be loaded going down but empty returning, With the gate up it feels like I am still towing a parachute. The problem with having the gate down is that the trailer disappears behind my truck. 

I had bought a pair of 36" snowplow marker guides for the 42" single stage snowthrower a few years ago. They were to help locate the ends when pulling into our side-load garage. But before mounting them I found a shorter pair that worked better. So the longer ones languished on the shelf until today. I had a last minute thought to mount them on the trailer. It should work great.

• Goldann520
      By Goldann520
      Hey guys, @wheelhorseman, @WVHillbilly520H, brought this stuff home today. Big question did wh make a gooseneck trailer like this? Really hope so, paint looks right and came out of the same lot as the rest of this. Owner swears he had blade and blower on the 414-8 Which means it'll fit my 312-8. He talked me (or bribed) me into taking tractor with me. Got the weights and chains too. $440 for all of it. Tractor runs but has fuel delivery problems. 

• Sarge
      By Sarge
      I have two means of cleaning paint/rust here and some thoughts that might help others about their use and mods to make them perform better . One is an old Snap On glass bead blast cabinet that lives in the basement shop , the other an older model Clarke sand blasting pot . The Snap On works ok , but it's gun was super expensive as well as replacement tips and especially the tempered glass window in the cabinet . Solved the gun issue with a TP Tools Scat gun with a carbide blast nozzle and their custom pickup tube design which helps to better mix air into the media stream since this cabinet is a suction type . The dumb glass window and it's associated gasket was replaced with some aluminum extrusions , gaskets and just common grade single strength glass from the Hardware store . Lasts just about as long as the tempered , much easier to change and I've only broken it once . I also opened up the cabinet's air intake with a larger hole and diversion baffle to help it flow air better . Still needs a proper dust extractor , will eventually get a Scat Hepa type as they have a nice design and far better pricing on filters and such . TP also has some pretty good rubber coated gloves at half the cost of Snap On - and they last longer .

The Clarke blast pot has been a pain in the keister for a very long time . I hated the dead man valve setup it used , the tips weren't easy to get nor cheap for their short life span and they only sell the dumb things in 3-packs that are 3 different sizes , if you need only the 1 size you're screwed with quite a few useless spares . A trip to the large Auction site and solved that problem by switching to a ball valve setup that a guy builds that uses the more common and far more durable 3-3/4" long by 5/8" tip by 1-1/8" base tapered ceramic venturi nozzles . Now - for the warning : this is not a dead man setup , if you drop it or something happens to you that setup will not shut itself off since it's just a common ball valve , so be wary with it . However , those tapered cone style nozzles last 50 times longer than the little junk design short ones that come with these common Chinese built blast pots . There is another dead man gun out there that might work better if you want to go that route and it will use the cone style nozzles , but it's quite cumbersome and hard to use in tight areas . To stop blasting , this one works by just shutting the ball valve off , quickly . Be aware that his included valve won't last long since it's brass - the thing wasn't even machined straight and the Black diamond media found it's way around the ball in short order , so it started to leak/bypass air pressure a bit . Once that gets started , in a short time of about 100lbs of coal slag it blew a hole in the side of the valve . Found an old heavy USA made steel valve rated for high pressure steam systems - this one should hold up for a long time .

First , let's start with a bit of lesson on media - it can be the biggest part of what you're trying to accomplish . Too heavy of a grit requires a much larger nozzle and far higher cfm compressor , which most people don't have . The profile left by that larger media or screen size can also damage lighter gauge sheet metal , aluminum and other soft metals - it will leave a very rough profile . Now , on heavier rusty , scaled steel such as 1/8" thickness - it's perfect but having enough cfm is the problem .

Here's a chart to help understand the media sizing :

http://www.blackdiamondabrasives.com/media/1060/usminerals-blackdiamond-nozzleconversionchart.pdf

The numbering system is the screening sizing - 2040 means grit size between 20 and 40 grit , which is pretty aggressive and works only with larger cfm/hole size tips , otherwise it will clog easily . At 3/16" nozzle sizing , that would require either a very high volume reciprocating 2-stage compressor over 30cfm or a engine driven rotary . Running 30/60 grit and using the smaller 1/8" nozzle allows the use of a good quality 2-stage compressor in the 23-28cfm range . Common size machine for most shops and finding a good used one is generally pretty easy . It must be a continuous run capable unit - not the cheap modern versions sold in the stores today but a commercial grade type with a heavy cast iron pump and at least 5hp . Anything smaller/lighter won't last long and can't keep up with the demand of the cfm required - you'll just burn it up and probably ruin the pump/motor in short order from heat . I use an old early 80's Speed Air 27cfm 2-stage unit with 5hp heavy series motor - this thing is north of 500lbs total with the 80 gallon tank and was a freebie - but needed repairs such as new legs and some work on it's pressure switch . It's ran here for nearly 20yrs now with barely a glitch , oil changed when it turns dark and new air filters when needed - will probably outlive me . Nice part of this one is the common Champion rebuild/gasket/reed kits will fit it as the pumps were made by Champion in my hometown of Princeton , Illinois . If you can find an older R-30 series equipped pump/ 80 gallon compressor used - buy it as they run forever . Prior to 1985 is best , but even later models are far better than other brands .

Now , to the pot -
      This old Clarke used a crappy cast tee and brass ball valve to regulate the media at the bottom of the tank . This results in a less than consistent media flow and the tee's won't last long due to the media having to make that 90* turn when it's mixing into the air stream . I found some mods others have done on the net and ordered a malleable iron wye fitting in 1/2"NPT . Not easy to find , but they are out there -
      https://www.amazon.com/FNPT-Malleable-Iron-Wye/dp/B0078S2P4Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504186031&sr=8-3&keywords=1%2F2"+wye
      This fitting mod allows a much smoother transition and far better/more consistent mixing of the media and air as well as provides better overall air flow/volume . Much less clogging at the valve as well . It took some adapters and such to get it fitted but sure made a difference how well the unit works .

I'll have to get some better pics but you can pick the wye out in this photo of yesterday - trying to clean out a batch of wet media from the pot (no , not fun) .

Blasting this irritating 6.5'x12' US Cargo utility trailer and it's heavy mill scale/rust/paint . They evidently used imported steel and the mill scale layer is tough to get off - not to mention they painted right over the top of it , which allows it to rust from inside out easily . The heavy rust/mill scale where the decking was sitting had to first be removed with the needle scaler - otherwise you'll spend a lot of extra time blasting it off as the stuff creates a cushion to the media stream . Needle scaler is the Ingersoll Rand attachment version that fits the common air hammers threaded heads - scaler runs on a simple medium barrel one and works great for the $40 cost at TSC .

This all started when the trailer was loaded , the big D180's hydro coupling failed and I had to put the trailer on the jack loaded . The original tongue was only built with 1/8" thick 2x3 angle iron - not a good idea in my opinion but I'm no engineer . Needless to say - the tongue failed when the trailer tried to roll against the wheel chocks when it was on the jack - just a slight depression in the driveway did the damage as the tongue just twisted into a pretzel as I was trying to hook it up to the truck . Watching it slowly go sideways to the ground in the truck's rear view camera is a sight no one wants to see , trust me .

New tongue is 2x3x3/16" wall rectangular tubing , US Steel specifically . All welded with 7018 rod with beveled joints in 2 passes for proper strength . This will also help stiffen the nose of this thing - the angle iron allowed far too much flex in the front half of their design - it had cracked 4 welds in the main frame already - all of which have been properly repaired .

Between the heavy mill scale and rust in the main frame areas I've had to switch from the lighter 80/100 grit from Menard's https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/bagged-concrete-cement-mortar/black-blast-blasting-sand/p-1444445322601.htm
      to the more coarse 2040 Black Diamond from TSC . The only nozzle size I had here was the 1/8" tapered cones so I'm waiting on UPS this morning to bring the 5/32" size nozzles from McMaster in Chicago - I love how they can get me stuff overnight .

I'll try to get some better pics today of the blast profiles , Clarke pot tank mods and the nozzle setups I'm using . Maybe it will help others determine what to get and how to use it when cleaning their tractors/equipment/trailers for restoration work or otherwise . So far this mill scale issue has cost me 14-50lb bags of coal slag . I should have used the heavier grit size to start with , but the finer grit should have done the job . I will say this - the Black Blast brand from Menard's might be cheaper at $6.99/bag , but the amount of dust and extra fine media isn't worth the savings unless you're doing very light work . The Black Diamond brand is far more consistent and nearly no dust or fines , but it also costs more at $7.99/bag . If the trailer hadn't been so bad to start with I'd have used a large tarp to catch the media and recycle it into the pot with a sifting screen to keep out the junk . It's more work , but does save money in the long term .

Hope this all helps - figured I'd give back to the forum a bit while I'm waiting on the brown guy to show up with my nozzles ...lol .

Sarge