jimkemp

Motor swap question

jimkemp

Can anyone tell me if a Kohler K161 will fit in an rj58 , I bought a motor and its being shipped to me and I'm not sure on the size and if it will fit in my rj project or I'm I going to have to use it in another tractor , Thanks

WHX??

Sounds like we're talking custom here Jim, would doubt iwithout some mods as in hood cutting or a short pan if one is available for a 161 and then would be close.......regardless if you attempt it :wwp:

• Like 5

jimkemp

Well I just got this one about a month ago , really don't want to cut the hood , I was thinking dropping down the frame where the motor sits , I was just wondering if anyone else ever put one in a RJ , heres a picture of it when I picked it up5a3f25da49639_RJ58.jpg.a286a2a083db01eb8ab8fa4f24488ce9.jpg

• Like 7

953 nut
9 hours ago, jimkemp said:

thinking dropping down the frame where the motor sits

It would be a lot easier to raise the hood, then when you find a good K-91 you won't have to undo your hasty error.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Maybe @Ken B will chime in here. I believe he put a K-181 on a Suburban which will have the same clearance as a RJ. It was tight but I don't think there was any hood cutting done. :)

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

It would be a lot easier to raise the hood, then when you find a good K-91 you won't have to undo your hasty error.

:text-yeahthat:

Modify that mini-bike

wildman
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

:text-yeahthat:

Modify that mini-bike

Yeah the bike

WHX??

What's wrong with the motor in it Jim? Can't be gone thru and saved?

jimkemp

Its not the right motor and I want something bigger in it , it has a tec 4hp motor from a snowblower , I want a kohler but bigger than a k90 or k91 , I will post pictures when the motor gets here , I like the idea of maybe spacing the hood up high enough to get the k161 in there

And yes the mini bike (1971 Rupp roadster 2 ) is getting modified , that's just one I picked up the same day as the tractor , its in with the other 25 mini bikes

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I see some wheelie bars on the back of that rj

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell

If you just want more power, the little predator fits and has good HP. I think one could even be painted up to look a little more the part than it is. 

Randy

jimkemp
10 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I love the predator motor , for the money you cant beat them , I have put a bunch of them in mini bikes but for this project I really want to go with a Kohler

Edited by jimkemp
  • Like 1