tallen4392

C-81 no crank

tallen4392

Was using my c-81 today started right up after 4or 5 min just quit no will not turn over but will start with power put to the starter I checked all the wires and connections look good when  I turn the key only the battery side of the selonide is hot should I have power to the small wire when I turn the key the thing always started right up like today  but today it just died hard to figure out any ideas ???? Thanks

tallen4392

Is there a fuse somewhere that could cause this that is what it felt like I could not find one 

Ed Kennell

Yes, you must have 12VDC  at the small terminal on the solenoid when the switch is in the start position.   Connect a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the small lug on the solenoid. The solenoid should click in and the starter should turn.   If it doesn't, the solenoid is bad.  If it does crank, then the solenoid is OK and it is not getting power from the switch.  If you have a good wire from the solenoid to the switch with good clean connections, then the switch must be bad.    If the tractor runs OK then you have power to the switch, but the switch is not connecting power to the start terminal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first step is to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. A bad ground connection is often overlooked and is as important as any other wire. Not sure if your engine is on a "shaker Plate" but lots of '79 to mid '80s :wh: had the isolation mounts and the ground wire from the frame to the engine could give these symptoms.

• Like 1

tallen4392

I spent hours checking tightening all I could did not see anything from engine to frame will check tommorow was wondering if the small wire on the selonide should get hot when you turn the key only the battery side is hot when u turn key 

Ed Kennell

Please read post 3.

• Like 1

tallen4392

Yea that’s what I thought that wire is dead when you turn the key just weird because it started right up like always then died after a few now no power to that lug but if it lost power to that wire it should of stayed running correct

I saw your post after thanks 

tallen4392

Is there. A switch on the brake or clutch pedal that would give me that problem 

953 nut

The brake switch prevents cranking but has nothing to do with ignition. Is the PTO off? Are you sure the 25 amp fuse between the battery and amp meter is good and the fuse holder is clean? Withe the key on dose the amp meter show discharge when the lights are turned on? The amp meter could also be the problem. The start/ignition switches on garden tractors has a brass disk with little humps pressed into it which is under spring tension and is moved with the key. Could be the key switch.

• Like 2

tallen4392

No headlight on it pro is off I will check the fuse tommorow did not see a fuse is it something u can see or do I have to take amp meter out  thanks for the tips 

tallen4392

The amp gauge works there is power coming out of the back of ign switch at the two orange wires when key is turned to start has black ground strap on motor to frame and are tight can I just run a wire from back of ign to wire on selonide I don’t know why there is no power there the wires look ok

tallen4392

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a c-81 ????

gwest_ca

Garry

tallen4392

Can I run a wire from the back of lgn switch Red start wire straight to the selonide and by pass the the pto interlock switch I don’t run a deck on the machine at all 

953 nut
1 hour ago, tallen4392 said:

Can I run a wire from the back of lgn switch Red start wire straight to the selonide and by pass the the pto interlock switch I don’t run a deck on the machine at all 

Presuming the switch is not the problem you could get by with the PTO switah bypass.

tallen4392

Thanks the red wire on the switch is hot at the back of the switch  when key is in start  position

tallen4392

Anyone know where the clutch interlock switch is near the pedal or at the back of the tractor  

Ed Kennell

It should be just inside the pedal.  The ear the rod is connected to slides across a ball that makes the switch.

gwest_ca

There is a picture of the 105877 switch on this page. Click on the picture and the page it takes you to click on the 3rd picture.

Garry

• Excellent 1

tallen4392

Thanks does the switch for the pto interlock look the same hard to see were it is 

gwest_ca

There are 3 photo's of the 104680 pto switch on this page. Click on the picture. One half controls the ignition and the other the starter circuit. The last picture is the switch connector and wiring.

Garry

• Like 1

tallen4392

thanks a lot where do they hide that pto switch I looked  but it is bitter outside here I will look again tomorrow did not see it it must be behind the side cover I am thinking

953 nut
4 minutes ago, tallen4392 said:

thanks a lot where do they hide that pto switch I looked  but it is bitter outside here I will look again tomorrow did not see it it must be behind the side cover I am thinking

You will need to remove the battery and look back in the tunnel.

tallen4392

I cannot find any switch on or near the  clutch pedal or anywhere else in that area could it be somewhere else ????

Ed Kennell

May be on the drive belt idler pulley.