Ian_Courts

Greetings from Somerset

Ian_Courts

Hi everyone,

My name is Ian, and I'm a Wheel Horse newbie. I've just bought a Raider 10 8-speed on fleabay, but am still waiting to collect it due to circumstances beyond my control. I think it's a 1972 (ish) model and am itching to get it home and start playing!  It has a roller with it, and a 42" (I think) side discharge deck. Have been studying the manuals and have read "From the Horses Mouth" to try and learn all I can about these fantastic little tractors. Hopefully I'll be able to post a few pictures soon!

Best wishes and Seasons Greetings to you all !! 

P.S. photo of my Raider from fleabay

Wheel Horse Raider 10 (1).jpg

Edited by Ian_Courts
  • Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ian_Courts Welcome to :rs:, You are off to a good start a :wh: and a roller. Careful they are additive start with 2 and end up with a dozen.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

:WRS:  I assume you are in Somerset, UK, Ian. Got some fellow owners down there. You'll get plenty of advice on here. Nice horse BTW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:             Great looking :wh:. We look forward to sharing your journey.       :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

:WRS:  I assume you are in Somerset, UK,

Gosh Stormin, I assumed  he was from Somerset, Pa.  where I was born.     Either way Ian, :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:.

Great machines...the Raiders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ian_Courts

Yes, sorry, Somerset UK, where REAL cider comes from!! :-)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, Ian_Courts said:

Yes, sorry, Somerset UK, where REAL cider comes from!! :-)

OK Ian,  what makes "REAL CIDER" different than cider. 

We make some pretty good drinks in  Somerset Pa. from apples, berries, watermellons, peaches,etc., and my favorite  from corn.    :beer:

• Like 5

Ian_Courts

The farm workers in ancient Somerset would travel from farm to farm at harvest time & would be partly paid in cider produced on the farm itself, so the better the cider the more workers a farm could attract. There is also a fine tradition of 'rough' ciders, better known as scrumpy, which leads to your legs becoming disconnected from your brain after only a couple of pints (providing you could drink 2 pints! It sometimes had to be strained into the mug!! 😨) Cider is perhaps our best known gift to the world! :-)

http://www.madapplecidercompany.com/cider_facts.html

Edited by Ian_Courts
  • Like 6

Ed Kennell

Scrumpy sounds like our version of Hard Cider.

Every fall, my Grandfather filled a wooden barrel with his mixture of apple cider, raisins, brown sugar, and left it to age until Spring.

The swollen raisins , apple seeds and  peels, and the Mother were also then strained off before drinking.

It was a very potent Spring Tonic that cleared the mind and body.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

I had scrumpy years ago in a Somerset pub with some of my mates. Landlord wouldn't serve us a second pint. "If you go outside for five minutes and come back in, I will", he said. We didn't. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ian_Courts

That sounds like a great drink Ed!! 🍻

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

My grandfathers , father and uncles went straight to the bootlegger for corn liquor . No explanation needed.

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

Well i know Jim will get a Kick out of this ! When i was Stationed in Korea, we would go to the Ville on Weekends & drink this clear Liquid called So-Ju, they claim it was embalming Fluid hahaha, i found myself crawling to the Gate on hands & Knees, MP's said hitn that So-Ju Sgt Siegfried again Huh, i spoke a Different Language after a evening of that Concoction ! Man it would Cleanse the system LOL  

• Excellent 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Big_Red_Fredand @ebinmaine  Drinking that Korean hooch explains a lot . My father's story from WW II , some guys were so crazy that they would strain Sterno thru bread  and drink it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anglo Traction

Hello Ian and :text-welcomewave: to RS. Tractor look's like it is all there and unmolested. Good Pair of replacement Kenda Turfs on the Rear. I thinks it's at least about 74 and actually has a proper U.S. WH Steering Wheel and Seat Pivot Tray. Just just a good overall service and an Oily Rag wipe over seems all that is required. Good acquisition:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Ian_Courts
1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

Hello Ian and :text-welcomewave: to RS. Tractor look's like it is all there and unmolested. Good Pair of replacement Kenda Turfs on the Rear. I thinks it's at least about 74 and actually has a proper U.S. WH Steering Wheel and Seat Pivot Tray. Just just a good overall service and an Oily Rag wipe over seems all that is required. Good acquisition:thumbs:

Thanks very much. Yes, I'm definitely more of the oily rag school, it only has it's history once! I believe it also has an original pair of narrower rear wheels fitted with chevron tires (sic) so may also opt for some 3-rib fronts to suit "the look" if I can find a cheap pair of front rims.

Edited by Ian_Courts

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Big_Red_Fredand @ebinmaine  Drinking that Korean hooch explains a lot . My father's story from WW II , some guys were so crazy that they would strain Sterno thru bread  and drink it. 

Hahaha, i heard of that too, My Father was Army Air Force back then, i believe he said same . 

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

That's a Sweet Ride Ian, i haven't been to UK since 82 & 83, i enjoyed the People and The Old Ways, You would be surprised to know there's many from your country in my area, 2 Military Bases here, I've spoke to a Few , They Love it here ! Don't know Why LOL, i have Family in Germany, what's left of them, Not Many

• Thanks 1

neil

Welcome to Redsquare , I too live in gert zommerzet , Bridgwater to be precise , fine looking tractor you got , I have quite a large collection of wheelhorse tractors , if ever your passing pop in for a coffee . You gonna have lost of fun when she finally turns up 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Ian!!!  We're glad you're here.  :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

My grandfathers , father and uncles went straight to the bootlegger for corn liquor . No explanation needed.

My Nephew is now the Master Boiler.    We even make peach and strawberry for the Ladies.

IMG_0117.JPG.a096fa585270d3fe6a64463131dab008.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

T-Mo

Ian, welcome to RS.  That is a nice looking tractor you have.  We do have quite a few of RS members in the UK, and it looks like Neil is close by.

• Thanks 1

meadowfield

nice find!  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS:

• Thanks 1