PeacemakerJack

Share the Joy

19richie66

Awesome story Jack! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

slim67

This is what God wants and what Christmas is about. It's got to make you feel good inside.✝️

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:Amen and amen!

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Thank you for sharing that Josh.  It is pretty special that your whole group gets to meet the people you are helping. 

Buying for "Toys for Tots" and pulling a couple of cards off of the "Giving Tree" at the Mall is something everyone can do to help and get into the spirit...but what you guys are doing really makes it personal and very special.  :occasion-xmas:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ACman

Awesome thing you’re doing @PeacemakerJack :bow-blue:! I’ve been here for a hour now trying to figure out how to word the thoughts in my head as I’ve been on both ends of the stick. 

It can be a simple thing. One year my family went to our local outreach and asked about any elderly people on the list. The lady behind the counter said you know we have two that have asked for the same thing now for couple years now . One was a Kings James bible with enlarged print and the other was a lady’s fall jacket. That year they got their wish. Just a simple jester can bring a smile to one person or a whole family. So during this holiday season if you have the means to help please do . The gift of giving is the best gift of all and the best feeling you can have .

Merry Christmas :rs:and spread the joy and happiness this season!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

slim67

When you here stories of other people's misfortunes during the holidays it certainly makes me grateful to have what I have. I think a lot of people don't ever think that their situation could be worse. I realize I am never going to be rich but embrace that fact and enjoy the simple things in life. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

stevasaurus

See Slim...you are richer already.  :occasion-xmas:  Merry Christmas.

• Like 6

dclarke

Thanks for sharing this, Jack. What an awesome thing to do! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks Jack.  What a great program that of course benefits the receivers, but will also benefit the youthful givers for the rest of their lives.

Please relay our thanks and Christmas Greetings to your Youth Group.

• Excellent 2

slim67
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

See Slim...you are richer already.  :occasion-xmas:  Merry Christmas.

Thanks Steve and for all you share here on Redsquare.:text-merryxmas: to you as well.

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I thought to myself, “Now this is Christmas in the spirit of that Holy Gift come down from above about 2000 years ago to a stable in Bethlehem!”

:handgestures-thumbupright:   Thank you so much for sharing this. This is one of the best threads ever! As a child I remember doing a similar thing with our youth group and know it helped shape my life.   :text-coolphotos:

Once the holidays are over I will share an ongoing activity at my church which will be wrapping up. All I can say now is that I had high hopes and so far it has exceeded my wildest dreams.  More later.

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Please relay our thanks and Christmas Greetings to your Youth Group.

I’ll be sure to pass that along Ed!  Merry Christmas and God Bless

44 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Once the holidays are over I will share an ongoing activity at my church which will be wrapping up. All I can say now is that I had high hopes and so far it has exceeded my wildest dreams.  More later.

I can’t wait to hear this! Please share it here unless you would prefer to start your own thread.  I love hearing stories of how others are ministering to those around them whether in their family, church, community, city, or beyond.  

Thank you ALL for your kind comments...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Thanks 2

oliver2-44

Your group brings the true meaning of Christ-Message alive. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

:text-yeahthat:

D.) All o' the above...

Well done Sir Peacemaker, well done.

Share a Thank you to all involved there from me as well.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
On 12/21/2017 at 9:08 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

I can’t wait to hear this! Please share it here unless you would prefer to start your own thread.  I love hearing stories of how others are ministering to those around them whether in their family, church, community, city, or beyond.

Our church leadership has maintained a fiscally conservative budget process in recent years and over the past four years we have been blessed with a substantial surplus of funds at year’s end. We have always found community groups that needed financial assistance and been able to step in and meet the need as a local outreach effort. This year we did something that made some people’s jaws drop.

Let me share a bit of data about our community first. Located in the Bible Belt, Franklin, NC is the county seat and has a population of about 4,000. Macon county is a sparsely populated area with a total population of 34,000. Our church has one of the larger congregations in the county (not the largest by any means) with a regular attendance of 300 to 400 weekly.

Several weeks ago the scripture reading was Matthew 25:14-30, essentially it is Christ’s parable that reminds us that God expects us to use our talents and abilities to further His kingdom. With this in mind our pastor asked everyone who was willing to take on a “Kingdom Assignment” to step forward. He then proceeded to hand a crisp hundred-dollar bill to each person. There were three stipulations. This is God’s money, it is to be used to further the kingdom of God and we were to report back in three months with news of what had been done.

$37,000 was distributed that Sunday and the congregants were left with emotions ranging from awe to total disbelief.

Some folks purchased materials to make items to sell and used the proceeds to fund community activities that are near to their hearts.

Several small groups formed over the next few days to develop action plans. We have a community food bank which several churches support. The faction I became a part of felt inspired to match “God’s Money” with our own (after all, God gave it to us) and help the food bank. A couple of us approached the manager of one of the large grocery stores and he agreed to match us dollar for dollar on purchases there. We then bought basic food items that were on sale for Buy One Get one free. There were ten of us and we delivered a thousand dollars’ worth of groceries to the food bank eight times. An unanticipated witnessing opportunity developed each time we shopped. People would ask what we were doing with all those groceries (FIVE OR SIX GROCERY CARTS FULL EACH TIME) and when we told them, several said they too wanted to provide food.

Other groups enlisted community support for needs ranging from a domestic abuse center, homeless shelter, veteran’s assistance and so many other worthy local causes. Drinking water wells in Haiti, Christmas toys for children in hurricane ravaged Puerto Rico and medical clinics in Africa also benefited from the “Kingdom Assignment”.

Some banded together to raise funds for a not-for-profit cancer center that had saved their lives!  They organized a Benefit Bluegrass Concert with one local band and another one you may have heard of, Summer Brooke and the Mountain Faith Band. With the support of millions of viewers, MFB advanced to the 2015 semifinals of America’s Got Talent. MFB reduced their normal rate from $ 8,000 to $ 1.000 and ultimately donated the fee back to the fund raiser.

The concert was not advertised, just word of mouth and we had a standing room only turn out. Our fire marshal is a friend of mine and sort of looked the other way because we were well over capacity. When the plate was passed we collected donations of more than twelve thousand dollars.

These are but few of the efforts to use God’s Money to further the kingdom of God.

Preliminary estimates indicate that the total dollar amount of direct support is greater than $ 90,000. In prior years a few of the leadership of the church had decided where God’s money should go, this year the entire church body made that decision. I am so proud of our congregation and their acceptances of this challenge.

Oh, by the way, it appears that we will have a substantial surplus again this year, God knows what needs to be done. We just need to listen and follow through!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack

Now that is “Sharing the Joy”!  May God bless you and your church for all that was done this year and may it continue to Grow in years to come.  Thank you for sharing the details, I’ve read it quickly after TeenGroup tonight but I’ll take time to really digest the above post after lunches are packed and the kids are in bed tonight...

• Like 2

19richie66

Wow......Awesome project Richard. Sounds like all involved did very well for others. And when you help others with the right intentions and an open heart, you are blessed as well. 👍

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

It is really hard to believe that it has been a WHOLE YEAR since the last “Share the Joy” activity.  Tonight we have selected two new families that we are going to try to be a blessing to and share the True Joy of the Christmas Season with.  I will have more details to follow and try to record this event at least somewhat in real time for posterity’s sake!

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

PeacemakerJack

teens are arriving and the tables are set with wrapping paper and bows...

453F18F5-86D6-40AA-8EC4-1AD3B4D4396D.jpeg.d373244d7c9fa3e6ecf55f49ea5a444b.jpeg

Because it is anonymous to the teens, we give the gender and age of the children (yes, we believe and teach that God created them male and female!) 

42FF3F9D-2D32-44D2-BE59-2594DA6EC4A6.jpeg.7a7c90386f12148aa3973aa2ebb254a3.jpeg

The teens sign up for the children that they would like to buy for...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

It was a shopping frenzy at our favorite big blue box store...

CA8B78D5-8466-47E3-8427-553A2CA3D292.jpeg.43c738f28f04a3df91b6596ee718171b.jpeg

The kids were finishing all the deals, toy guns, games, a bike, stuffed animals, etc 

36308343-8FCD-4D45-8097-F6566531B1BB.jpeg.fa4e6af6b58a7d4e127b8b38011ef13a.jpeg

Lots of decisions to be made but no time to be made.  

F4AA40A8-8B85-44DB-928D-35256F7CC02A.jpeg.21300dab2589db3121546d036621b811.jpeg@Coulter Caleb in there with his buddies deciding on a toy! 

7638B78B-1B5C-4FFC-A10C-49DEBBAFA518.jpeg.f498606fe37de0225ea38433b6a8a278.jpeg

wrapping is next!

8A98A295-20CD-4722-9045-CECB24C0A18E.jpeg.52c994fdb9d89e2d63bf0914f75c53ba.jpeg

BD29C10A-4150-44E4-8A9C-F7BC05DF1B78.jpeg.b3910992ebba0ca57fbe2550a649bdbc.jpeg

Time to get the group pic and head to our destinations 3C34F298-B9ED-45B1-87FE-EC35275CC6B4.jpeg.5bd1314f08af686a06661f32920e864e.jpeg

5AE4A5F0-35CF-4599-A2DE-00FA44E8666F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

5ED89DBE-8D98-4B64-8DD7-00EF41E0CB7F.jpeg.96a514860a7ec091811412ebdb674afe.jpeg

Its hard to describe the emotions that arise in someone who has had tough times, financially, emotionally, physically, when a group this size invades their space for a few precious moments and brings Christmas spirit to them!  

We we just finished the first stop and are now traveling to the second...

1B3CA531-3AF1-41CE-B5D8-FD694B7E889F.jpeg.8bd69b7ee7e384fb1f54c2cd724d1a87.jpeg

Ill tell you about the families situations tonight when I’m not bouncing in the bus!

For you gearheads—we are the in an early 2000’s International with the legendary DT466 backed by a manual gear jammer with a Blue Bird conversion!

Very much enjoying the Christmas carols while traveling to our next stop....

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Made it to the last stop safe and sound!  And then got everyone back to church.  Here’s the story of the two families that we chose this year:

FAMILY #1:  They had 3 children ranging in age from 8-17.  However, back in the fall their oldest girl decided that her life wasn’t worth living and ended it.  After hours of searching for her, her father found her body.  It is hard to quantify the loss that they felt and are continuing to feel.  As we brought the gifts in and I struggled to speak because of the impact that it was making on them and on me, I was once again reminded of the verse, “it is more blessed to give than to receive.”  The mother was crying as we sang, “O come all ye faithful” and “Silent Night”.  Then we prayed with them and were on our way.

FAMILY #2: they have only been in our area for a little more than a year.  They have five children ranging from 2-9 years. The dad has been struggling with his job situation this year and has been trying to get his new business off the ground.  They have been really tight as of late and it was great to be able to say some words of encouragement, sing a few carols, pray with them, and fill the underside of their Christmas tree with presents.  

Our kids spent over $500 of their own cash to be a blessing to these families. I know it is something that those touched by it won’t soon forget.   

F8AF5EB3-4BE2-42FB-A32E-297A47BC022F.jpeg.b40ffaa02f7df41adf99447d4793d54a.jpeg

Thanks for taking the journey with me.  

Merry Christmas

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks for taking the journey with me.

:thanks:                                :text-coolphotos:                          :woohoo:                               :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thank you for taking us along. We are all inundated by "News" that ranges from bad to horrific on a daily basis,  we are blessed that you have shared some good news with us. Please share our appreciation of a wonderful journey with the fine young women and men from your church.

Also, the youth pastor ain't too bad either.    :bow-blue:

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

19richie66

Great to see some Christmas cheer spread  amongst those who need it most. What a great thing it is that you all do. Yeah that youth leader is an alright guy.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1