tntatro

k341 carburetor and governor

tntatro

Hello, my new to me C-160 seems to surge a little when idling at half and full throttle. It also bogs if I go from low idle to full throttle quickly. I moved the governor back and forth with my hand then started it and right after it would go from low to high normally, then later it had trouble again. The surging also seemed to be less when I messed with the governor and the spring but doesn't go away. I plan to clean and maybe rebuild the carburetor and adjust everything. I've never done this on a tractor before. What rebuild kit do I need for the carburetor and is there anything else I should consider doing or get. I have a K series pdf manual that explains the maintenance so I'd like to go through and do everything. I just don't want to mess anything up because it seems to be in decent running condition aside from maybe cleaning up and making adjustments. I've changed the oil and transmission fluid and am moving on to the fuel system. Any help and suggestions are much appreciated.

RandyLittrell

I would start by pulling the tank off and clean it out really well. Then replace fuel lines, filter and go through the carb. If the throttle shaft is loose you can put a bushing on to stop it and that will keep it from sucking air. The bushing Dimensions: 1/4" i.d. x 7/16" o.d. x 1/8" height.

Randy

• Like 2

pacer

Governors dont mess up very often, and what you are describing is pretty much classic carburetor problems. Surging with a good carb can usually be corrected with a tweak on the main jet (thats the screw on the very top of the carb, the one on the side is idle) If your carb is gunked up it will need a through cleaning. Now a "Kit" for the carb is a bit of a misnomer, it will consist of a bowl gasket and a needle and seat - thats it. (you will need both tho) A likely prob area is in the main jet, when screwed out of the carb you will see several tiny holes down the length of it, these and the part it is screwed into have to be clear. A good carb cleaner and some compressed air is a must.

• Like 3

953 nut

The biggest culprit for fuel related problems is ethanol in gas! As suggested a carburetor cleaning, replacement of fuel lines and filter are a must.

You can find ethanol free gas here. https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Since it runs try adding a healthy dose of Seafoam to the fuel. It may clean up on it's own. If it still persists after that tank of fuel rev it up and close the choke to see if the increased vacuum applied to the carb will draw out any restrictions. Open the choke again before it rolls to a stop so it keeps running.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

healthy dose of Seafoam to the fuel.

:text-yeahthat:           Also, a few shots of Seafoam aerosol carburetor cleaner in the air intake while running at high RPMs did wonders for my GT-14.

• Like 2

Anglo Traction
19 hours ago, tntatro said:

Hello, my new to me C-160 seems to surge a little when idling at half and full throttle. It also bogs if I go from low idle to full throttle quickly. I moved the governor back and forth with my hand then started it and right after it would go from low to high normally, then later it had trouble again. The surging also seemed to be less when I messed with the governor and the spring but doesn't go away. I plan to clean and maybe rebuild the carburetor and adjust everything. I've never done this on a tractor before. What rebuild kit do I need for the carburetor and is there anything else I should consider doing or get. I have a K series pdf manual that explains the maintenance so I'd like to go through and do everything. I just don't want to mess anything up because it seems to be in decent running condition aside from maybe cleaning up and making adjustments. I've changed the oil and transmission fluid and am moving on to the fuel system. Any help and suggestions are much appreciated.

In addition to all of the good advice given above, it will be worth checking/adjusting the settings of the Carb Needles and the Governor setting as per the Manual as well.

As for a Repair Kit, IF it is an Original  KOHLER Carb Fitted with a number like 45 053 09 (and above on last 2 digits),  then you are likely to require KOHLER Kit part number 25 757 02. I say Likely, as some Carb numbers quote another part number using a smaller bore Bowl Valve Or you can find an Aftermarket equivalent if you wish.

Situations like this require progressive elimination of possible faults, A clean Fuel system and properly set Carb first is the best place to start I reckon.

Regards.

• Like 2

tntatro

I briefly started and ran the tractor today and it started first attempt, it usually takes at least two tries but often more. The surging was way less and pretty much goes away after it's a little warm. Maybe it just needs to be used. I did put some Seafoam in the gas tank yesterday. It throttles up a little faster but if I go too fast it will want to stall or backfire.

I'm planning to go through and clean things up and make adjustments according to the K341 manual. Is that the best approach or are those things generally done as needed? Reading through the manual it seems like fairly easy adjustments, I've just never done it before. I'd hate to mess up a good engine from lack of maintenance although it didn't sound bad today and I only fooled with the governor yesterday and put Seafoam in the tank. I already bought fuel line and a filter so I'll do that + clean the tank. I'll also try choking it while driving as mentioned earlier to see if it clears things up more. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

953 nut
35 minutes ago, tntatro said:

clean things up and make adjustments according to the K341 manual. Is that the best approach or are those things generally done as needed

If you don't do it until it is needed it will need servicing at the worst possible time. After each adjustment be sure it will start so you don't have to guess which one was the problem.

Image result for murphy's law

• Like 2

tntatro

Today I cleaned the gas tank and replaced the fuel lines and filter. I have to get a carburetor kit then I'll clean and adjust the carburetor and governor and also check the valve to tappet clearance. If all goes well I guess I'll move onto the ignition system. I forgot to look at the carburetor so I just ordered the most likely kit. My neighbor stopped by and said he thought the engine sounded good. The low idle rpm is about 1,040 and the high idle is just under 3,500 rpm. It was mostly 3,440 but sometimes fluctuated up to 3,520.

In the manual it shows a "main fuel needle", "idle speed screw", and "idle fuel needle" in the picture of the carburetor. In the instructions for adjusting the carburetor it uses the terms "low idle fuel adjusting needle", "high idle fuel needle" and "idle speed adjusting screw". I guess you have to know a little about carburetors and terms because I can't tell which screw is which between the instructions and the picture.

pfrederi

Main fule aka High speed is large brass screw sticking straight up on top of carb

Low speed/Idle mixture is a screw that goes in at an angle

Idle speed is a screw goes in horizontally and comes out the other side where the throttle linkage hits it when you throttle down.

• Like 3

Anglo Traction

And a pic for you to complement Pfrederi's description above-

Setting.jpg.dba22995876b7c52b442f88fb14d02fd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

tntatro
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Main fule aka High speed is large brass screw sticking straight up on top of carb

Low speed/Idle mixture is a screw that goes in at an angle

Idle speed is a screw goes in horizontally and comes out the other side where the throttle linkage hits it when you throttle down.

Thanks, I checked the carburetor and it is that one. It seems the same as a chainsaw except I think a chainsaw might be easier because you can tune it by ear based on "4 cycling". Since it's my first time I'll take note of what the settings are now and compare with the settings in the manual.

• Like 1