cod

swept forward axle

cod

Thinking about mounting the swept forward front axle from a 520 onto a 418 and I'm looking for opinions.  While I like the way the swept axle looks, I'm not sure if it would make it harder to steer as I've heard that WH came out with some type of steering reduction set up for the 520 series.  I suspect the design made it easier to mount larger mower decks but I'll stick with the 42" RD although I may have to get a different mule drive to accommodate the 520 axle.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Cod

Skipper

IMO get a complete set with gear reduction. It is such a pleasure to operate.

Yes the swept axles pourpose was to make room for the 60" deck.

No need to switch mule drive :-)

If you do not want a 60" deck, the only gain will be looks, stronger hubs (so you might want the 520 wheels also), and better steering if you go all in.

On the other hand you loose a bit of tight cornering capability due to the longer wheel base.

Edited by Skipper
Because I spell like a broken arm
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ericj

I'm going to go against the grain here ans say, I don't like the gear reduction steering for mowing the yard. The reason is if you have a lot of things to mow around you find you have more turns of the steering wheel  and if you are mowing in tight area you have to be quick on the wheel. the gear reduction requires twice as many turns on the steering wheel compaired to normal steering. one nice thing is you won't hit the hood against a flat object becuase the wheels on the forward swept axle stick out further then the standard axle, good luck 

eric j 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That larger wheelbase...

will eat up a bit more storage space too. 

roadapples
10 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

That larger wheelbase...

will eat up a bit more storage space too. 

True, but I think it's only about 3" in length and about 4" in width.....

hondagod64

I installed my axle assembly on my 79 C 121 tractor and was amazed how easy the steering was compared to the old standard axle , but like it was mentioned that you need to get the complete set-up with spindles , tires , steering shaft ,etc

mikeeyre74

Personally, I love the reduction steering. Sure, it's a bit more turning of the wheel, but I can turn it twice as fast with one hand and not have to put down my beer in the process like I do with my C120.. that's so hard to turn I need two hands to do it. Just for "looks"? Nah.. but the steering makes it worth it.

• Like 1

richmondred01

I sent you a message. I have a complete setup that I decided to sell rather then install on one of my workers

elliot ness

Now, If you are ever going to put a loader on that tractor, well then gear reduction and the swept forward axle with 1 in. spindles will fit the bill. Make it steer like power steering.

• Like 1