chiefM

New to me 552

chiefM

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. My father passed away in November and he left me a 552 which I picked up over the weekend. To me is seems to be 99.9 percent all original. I know he was having carburetor problems with it and I found it disassembled and in a box on his work table. I guess my first question is where can I get a rebuild kit for it? I did not take any pictures of it yet to post because it was raining in Georgia on Sunday, but I will. I will probibly never mow grass with it but I would like to get it running again.

Thank in advance !!

Stephen

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Shynon

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:     Sorry to hear of your loss, but happy to know that you will be showing his :wh: some love.

These manuals will come in handy. As for a kit you may be able to find one on line, your engine is a Tecumseh HT55C-3089. There are some members here who have a lot of experiance with this make engine, but I am not one of them.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti: glad you found us.  I’m sorry for your loss.  A little tractor like that can be a great memorial to a lost loved one, especially if you have memories with them that involve the machine.  You will find the help here you need to get it back running and in tip top shape.  I definitely can’t wait to see current pics, as well as any older ones, that you may have of it.  552’s are cool little machines...

• Like 3

wallfish

:WRS:

As far as the carb goes, IMO it's much easier to just buy a complete new carb off ebay. I don't even clean them anymore because changing them for $10 is quicker easier. Buy 2 and be ready for when they gum up from the crappy gas. Those carbs seem to be the worst for easily getting gummed up with deposits.

Search ebay for H60 carb. Just look at the choke control to compare it to your carb, bolt it on and go. May need minor adjustment but that's easy to do.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

slim67
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

As far as the carb goes, IMO it's much easier to just buy a complete new carb off ebay. I don't even clean them anymore because changing them for $10 is quicker easier. Buy 2 and be ready for when they gum up from the crappy gas. Those carbs seem to be the worst for easily getting gummed up with deposits.

Search ebay for H60 carb. Just look at the choke control to compare it to your carb, bolt it on and go. May need minor adjustment but that's easy to do.

Is that all those cost? Times must be changing.

• Like 3

wallfish
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

Is that all those cost? Times must be changing.

Yup. The Chinese don't pay royalties or patent infringement law suits, labor is cheap and for some reason it is cheaper to ship crap from China than it is to send something across town.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Ed Kennell

Senrob 13566 Carburetor for Tecumseh 640350 640303 640271 Fits LV195EA, LV195XA EnginesYep, $9.99 on  the rain forest site w/ free shipping.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

JPWH

:WRS: Sorry about your loss. Good to see another Georgian here.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

A few words of caution about those cheap Ebay carbs...

first thing first, is to make sure you're buying from a reputable US based supplier.

Second, even though it's brand new...the quality control can still be an issue with these "plug&play" carbs.

I've found a couple of 'em run the exact same way the original did...

dropped the bowl & found it contained metal particulates obviously left over from the manufacturing process.  

Not just the Tecumseh carbs too, found this on a replacement Kohler carb I paid upwards of $50 for. :dunno:

• Like 3

Achto

:WRS: Looking forward to some pics.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Sorry for your loss...

• Like 1

slim67
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Senrob 13566 Carburetor for Tecumseh 640350 640303 640271 Fits LV195EA, LV195XA EnginesYep, $9.99 on  the rain forest site w/ free shipping.

Thanks for that information. I never thought they would be that cheap. i hate to say it but you cant beat online shopping these days. There is no way I could see my local guy selling a carb that cheap. 

7 hours ago, wallfish said:

Yup. The Chinese don't pay royalties or patent infringement law suits, labor is cheap and for some reason it is cheaper to ship crap from China than it is to send something across town.

There was an old joke punchline that goes " me chinese, me make joke, me make weewee in your coke" .I think that is now reality as opposed to humor.:think:

• Haha 3

wallfish

Just don't buy that carb pictured for a tractor H60, H55.

It should look more like this

s-l400.jpg

• Like 3

chiefM

Thanks everyone, It was quite a shock.  

Thanks for all the great info too! I will try and snap a few pics and post them tomorrow when I get home from work, have to do it as soon as I get home or it will be dark. 

Hi Jay! Nice to have a fellow Georgian on here. 

• Like 7

rjg854

This is a great place for all your :wh: concerns. The know how is just unbelievable and freely available. Ask and you shall receive :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Tuneup

Yes, Welcome!!! Also another Georgian here, and I hope you were able to get clear of the snow last week. We might want to start converting our mowers to throwers. I'm out in south Paulding so SE of you.

Wallfish has it right - that pic is a perfect example of a techy carb - exactly like the one on my old 6 HP minibike in the teen years long ago. I had my dad for 16 years - wish he had seen that I was handy - he couldn't replace a door knob and didn't think I could either but the few tools he had always ended up near me and some project - a wonderful dad. Sorry for your loss and I trust that you value your time with him greatly.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

chiefM

Thanks everyone, getting a little easier.  

Hey Tuneup I know where you are located, I work at Yancey Bros in Austell. I took off work at lunch when it looked like the weather people under forecast the amount of snow. I got about 10 inches at my house. Here is a picture of our H2 hummer. Pictures will have to wait on the 552, working over time all week. I'm not adding a snow blower, I'd move further SOUTH! 

20171209_132952930_iOS.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

JPWH

lol. They claimed the storm overperformed! Our office is in Morrow and they sent everyone  home at noon. I hope you didn't get stuck In traffic too long. We have one job in downtown Atlanta it took them an hour and a half to go from 14th st to the Varsity. Normally about 5 min. trip.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Welcome to the site @chiefM!  My 502 is my favorite machine, I'm sure the 552 will surprise you with all it's potential!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

It is always scary when they get a lot of snow south of the Mason/Dixon line!:scared-eek:

Up here in the “Frozen Chosen” we are used to dealing with it and prepared for the most part, I’ve been south when they get hit and it usually isn’t a good situation!  

That’s a lot of snow for your “neck of the woods” for sure!  You don’t need a blower but a blade would be a good addition cause you can use that for dirt and gravel placement as well!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 3

chiefM

I have a 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee with a blade and bush hog I use around my property. Not sure what I will do with the 552 yet other than get it running again. Is a survivor worth more? Our would it be OK to restore it? 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
Just now, chiefM said:

Not sure what I will do with the 552 yet other than get it running again. Is a survivor worth more? Our would it be OK to restore it? 

It sounds like it will be a purpose driven tribute tractor to dad. IMHO it’s future is up to how you best feel that it will be a tribute to him.  There is monetary value to the 552 but it isn’t a great amount like say a 1971 Hemi ‘Cuda convertible.  I feel the greatest value of that tractor is the history that it has with your dad and family.  To me it’s sentimental value is of the greatest importance. So—-that being said, if you feel that it best connects you to him to keep it original, do that. If you feel that a restored tractor better honors him, do that.:twocents-twocents:

still lookong forward to those pics!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
17 minutes ago, chiefM said:

Not sure what I will do with the 552

Handy for pulling a yard tub or just to hop on and go for a joy ride!

18 minutes ago, chiefM said:

be OK to restore it?

I am with the keep it orginal but keep it in good mechanical shape crowd  now but its yours so do what you feel is best for yourself.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2