Red144runner

18hp kohler twin swap

Red144runner

I'm picking up an engine from a buddy of mine tomorrow. He bought it to swap into a red IH cub and never did. I'm not sure what it came out of. Now, my magnum 12 runs great and it ends never felt it short on power. It does have the 8spd with the 1 1/8" axles and the typical heavy duty wh goodies. I have 880hrs on the tractor now, hours on the 18 is unknown. Either way for $50 I can't go wrong and it is tempting.

• Like 3

953 nut

:woohoo:   If you want to double your money I will come up with $ 100 and save you all the work of swapping it.    :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

You should look up the spec number and then determine if it has thrust bearings on the crank shaft.  Most Magnum twins did not.  If it doesn't you will have to use an electric PTO

• Like 1

Red144runner

so, I was mistaken it's not an 18hp magnum

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

• Excellent 2

pfrederi

it was built for MTD (They tend to go cheap on what they buy).  Looks not to have any thrust bearings  The crank is listed as a no thrust type.  Better plan on an electric PTO.

Nice big engine 22/23 HP

• Like 1

Red144runner

Yeah. Would have preferred the older magnum. This one will be going up for sale, Id sacrifice the horsepower for cast iron simplicity and reliability. Like I said the 12 hasn't felt inadequate at all

Edited by Red144runner
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

it was built for MTD (They tend to go cheap on what they buy).  Looks not to have any thrust bearings  The crank is listed as a no thrust type.  Better plan on an electric PTO.

Nice big engine 22/23 HP

It probably came out of a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor model made by MTD  Not necessarily cheap when new. Toro used that same engine series in the 5xi tractors. 

• Like 1

Red144runner

It did come out of a cub. A friend of mine worked at a dealer. He had a red IH cub with a bad engine. Customer brought in a tractor with a bad trans and this engine. He then lost interest and mistakenly told me it was an 18 magnum. 

• Like 1