Aldon

New Horse Hauler

Aldon

Way lighter and will be for quite a while! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

benji756

Very nice truck. I would like to do the same thing but just can't pull the trigger, mainly because  my 2004 only has 95000 miles on it.

• Like 4

Aldon
Just now, benji756 said:

Very nice truck. I would like to do the same thing but just can't pull the trigger, mainly because  my 2004 only has 95000 miles on it.

Totally get that. My 2006 was at 134k but do to my relocation, I’ll be pulling a heavy load out West in height of summer. If not for the planned relo, I would likely have put this off for another couple years. I am never comfortable spending or committing this much.

• Like 5

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice truck...and you made the right choice...that new Super Duty with the 6.7 is one of the nicest rigs on the road...we have two of them at work...and they put my Dodge to shame all the time...course I'm almost as loyal to the blue in my rigs as I am the red in my tractors:lol:

• Like 5

JPWH

Nice truck Aldon. I'm with you on the investment. My 2000 Silverado has 274k but the only time I drive it is the weekends or to the big show.

• Like 6

Jerry77

I have a 1997 GMC  Z71  with 119000 and NO payments ....I don't drive it a lot but it suits me and my wallet just fine...:lol:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
34 minutes ago, Aldon said:

F-350 6.7 STX 4x4.

:woohoo:    With the prices on new and nearly new trucks these days you might as well go for the gusto and get what you want!  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

This week I was getting one of our Volvo's serviced and the GMC dealer is at the same location . GMC dealer was having a sale on used pickups. Still can't get over the prices on 4 & 5 year trucks. They all looked nice but too much for my wallet.

• Like 5

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

I have a 1997 GMC  Z71  with 119000 and NO payments ....I don't drive it a lot but it suits me and my wallet just fine...:lol:

Right...That's why I keep this old girl around...she runs good and I rarely drive her...I drive the company pickup most everywhere I go...though the old girl and I did make an almost 700 mile round trip this past weekend...the old 400 hummed like a sewing machine down and back...I would love to have a new one but for no more often than I go places I just can't justify the payments

FB_IMG_1513474143543.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Nice Aldon ...looks like your all set to make it to the BS next year. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Sparky

Beautiful truck! I think I have to keep driving my old one a couple more years before I can make the plunge into a payment plan. 

• Like 2

roadapples

Would bet that cost more than my house..:ychain:

• Like 4

Aldon

Some might.

The STX MSRP was 55k before I beat them down and they applied year end rebates and discounts etc.

trim packages and options are where they ring up the price.

• Like 4

roadapples

Yup, I was right...

• Like 2

dclarke

That's a very nice truck, Aldon!  Congrats!

• Like 1

squonk

I paid $27,000  for my house. Paid $12,000 for my 06 Tundra 3 yrs ago with 153,000 on the clock. By the time the Big Show hits, it will be over 200,000. Got to keep it at least another year. I just can't see how people justify spending $50,60,70,000 for some of these rigs you see on the lot. When it comes time for me to buy again It will be close to $20,000 and I'll shudder doing that. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Now that is a  Sweet Super Duty Aldon. 

What weight  license  did you have to put on It in NY ?

When I bought my 1/2 ton F-150 crew cab in 2010, I had to buy the 3/4 ton license to be legal when hauling 4 people in PeeeAaa.

And Yes Jay @roadapples, my 2010 truck also cost more than my $22,900 house did in 1967.

• Like 4

ericj

I would luv to buy a new Dodge Ram 2500, or 3500 with the cummins, but the only way that will probably happen is when I win the lottery ........... we all know how that works for all of us :hide:

eric j 

• Like 4

Aldon

94 Mexican Peso crisis, NAFTA, Multiple Minimum wage increase mandates, TARP, OPEC, commodity trades.

The dollar ain’t what it used to be. 

I bought my last new truck in 2006 if I recall had MSRP of 33k. 

Dollar has lost lost at least half its buying power. That truck is now approximately double.

And pay scales have not similarly increased.

So I totally get why some feel that some things are way too high.

But I doubt the trend will reverse. Which is why I try to buy with thought that I need something to last as long as possible and buy equipment or tools that will cover the broadest range of needs. 

If if I had done that in 2006, I would not be buying a new truck now:-)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

Aldon,

Well, I have to admit that's a nice truck, and for what you intend to do with it moving and etc., it probably is something you can justify.......certainly short term anyway.

But that's just not my modus operandi.

You see, I'm a cheap ass at heart, and there's no rational or practical reason for me (and the bank) to own a $50,000 pick up truck. (Winning Powerball might exclude me from this stance).

It's pretty much the same mindset that I don't really need to have 20 Wheel Horse tractors........or 10, or even 5. I'm just quirky that way.

I half-seriously have instructed my wife to have me committed if I ever pulled a stunt like spending 50 G's on a pickup.

My wallet isn't that deep to begin with, and my ego is even smaller when it comes to vehicles. About the size of a kernel of corn.

And I despise monthly payments on almost anything.

Until last March, I hadn't had a credit card for 25 years......pretty much functioned on a cash basis. Guess I find "interest" a dirty word, and maybe an unnecessary evil.

"USED" fits me just fine, and if my ownership history is any indication (only two new vehicles since I got my driver's license in 1965), probably the older the better.

btw, that first new vehicle was a '72 Dodge Maxivan to use in my construction work. It sure wasn't a muscle car.

Here's my current ownership lineup......note the ages.

1984 Chevy G30 350 C. I.,Hi-Cube dually van with a Union City 80" x 8' x 14' aluminum box (purchased new for construction work). About 120,000 on the clock. 2nd new vehicle purchased by me.

1985 Chevy Caprice Estate Wagon 305 C.I., w/slightly over 70,000 on the odometer. I'd feel safe driving this anywhere. Inherited from my parent's estate.....was only appraised for $1,200, so why not keep it???

1990 GMC S-15 4.3L V6, with long bed; 117,00 miles. Ditto on driving this about anywhere. Pretty much my daily driver. Long bed with low side rails make it very handy around town.

So as anyone can see, if the auto manufacturers depended on buyers with my market habits, they would have shut down decades ago.

I guess you might almost classify me as a vintage collector......rotfl.gif.95ac581dee5bead99c77d4450b9c703b.gif

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I've never financed anything , not once - hate the idea of making payments and my credit reflects that , it's a total pay-to-play system and now they use it against you in all sorts of ways , even our security clearances . Operating under the radar they say - or smart as I refer to it . My Dodge when it was new cost $43,520 - I traded a nearly new looking , low mileage '08 Tacoma TRD OffRoad for it and paid a cash difference of $8,900 with the Dodge showing 14,400 on the clock and still had 18mo left on it's warranty . I let someone else take the hit of $10,000+ for just driving it off the lot , thanks for that , previous owner . I'd love one of the new 3/4 ton trucks , but paying that much just isn't in my DNA nor is paying the financing charges after it's all done - it's a ripoff from the banks in my opinion considering what they are paying in the interest rate games . They make their money loaning money - I get that but I feel like it's also a pretty abused system so I don't play the game .

I do totally get why folks buy them new - warranty is the biggest one and depending upon how you treat your equipment it can be a very good investment - sure is a sweet ride and I'm sure you'll take care of it . That is one sharp truck - congrats . Moving up to the 350 class avoids a lot of issues pulling weight - great choice .

Sarge

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ztnoo

Aldon,

Look at it this way.......you could have bit off an even bigger bite with a new F-450.

Seems to me I read somewhere the base price on that puppy was about $86,000!!! facepalm.gif.5942935d20fad73e2d85a0f2c41cb895.gif

That is just totally outside my frame of reference..........default_wacko.png.e4cae489153367c4ee69d2ee0a07709b.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Aldon

Warranty on the Diesel engine is a priority with the cost of critical repairs these days.

in order to work on them, in most cases the Cab has to be removed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2