slim67

Wheel weights

slim67

I needed to put a set of wheel weights on my B-80 but the 26 inch terra tires had the valve stem on the deep side of the wheel. Therefore I had to put the original turf tires back on in order to use this set pictured. These have been on several tractors in the family and were made for a friend of my dads. They were on his friends SS12 which my dad bought off of him. They are 111.5 lbs apiece and can actually separate your testicles from the scrotum if you pick them up. I have mounted and removed these several times and they keep getting heavier each time. I've got a few other sets but not like these. Curious as to how extreme you guys go with wheel weights on your machines? I've seen a few on here but wanted to see how many of you load em up.

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

I have filled tires and wheel weights on the GT-14 and 418-C. The 418 has six gallons of RV antifreeze and 50 pound wheel weights on each side, The GT-14 had filled tires when I got it (rolled one onto a bathroom scale and it weighed 110 pounds) and then I added a set of  :wh: two piece weights that bolt inside on the hub, think they were about 35 pounds each piece so 70 pounds per wheel. The GT-14 has a loader so I also have a large box of rocks supported by the three point hitch. I haven't filled the tires on the 1055 that I plow snow with but have 40 pound wheel weights and put a basket with four concrete blocks on the rear for added traction.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I don't understand why everyone puts so much weight on there snow plowers. 

I have filled my C 160 rear tires with 5.5 gal of RV antifreeze plus the weight of the  tires chains. Maybe 50 lbs per tire and I have no trouble at all with 6 to 10 inches of snow. I haven't found it needs any more then that. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 7

Jerry77
14 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I don't understand why everyone puts so much weight on there snow plowers

Yeah, I have wondered that too..When I had a 314-8 I had 50 pounds and 4 link chains on the wheels and me ( 200 ) ..never had a problem pushing or pulling whatever I wanted.. Where the highway plow had piled it up at the entrance to my drive I sometimes had to take a run at it tho...  :handgestures-thumbupright:  If I had a loader, I think it would be required to have a lot of weight tho...

Edited by Jerry77
clarification
  • Like 3

953 nut
13 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

don't understand why everyone puts so much weight on there snow plowers.

If you had my driveway to plow you would have a new prospective on weights.

010.JPG.56b25ab4fcafbacece6830d2bb118e45.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

slim67
30 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I don't understand why everyone puts so much weight on there snow plowers. 

I have filled my C 160 rear tires with 5.5 gal of RV antifreeze plus the weight of the  tires chains. Maybe 50 lbs per tire and I have no trouble at all with 6 to 10 inches of snow. I haven't found it needs any more then that. :twocents-02cents:

I dont think mine is a terrible amount for a snow plow or anything else for that matter. Ive lost traction with those weights and chains on a level driveway in the past on a 12hp Sears. Id rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

With the loader the addition of weights and weight box added a lot of stability while the bucket is loaded too.

BOB ELLISON

I also understand weights for a loader.

And I say if you think you need more weight for plowing you should do what you think is best. I've not found the need for more then I have now. When i plow I don't push all the snow with the plow straight I angle it left or right for 2 or 3 runs then I push with stright blade .

• Like 4

Jerry77
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

If you had my driveway to plow

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

@953 nut I wish I had a driveway like yours. You have to be careful not to slip off and down the hill. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

I am going with no chains or added weights this year for first time. So far - three snow events on three driveways and it is working amazingly well...(all drives are 150' long and relatively flat)...

Have I slipped - yes. But the ride is way smoother without chains and the asphalt and concrete driveways are not getting chewed up...

Taking slightly smaller bite of snow with each pass, but it is still WAY faster than my walk behind two-stage...

Chains absolutely do grip better and weight makes a difference, but I am liking the smooth ride, no added work of mounting chains and weights and no damage to drive...

Experiment in progress...

:twocents-02cents:

IMG_1603.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, BOB ELLISON said:

have to be careful not to slip

Last Friday's snow storm came as quite a surprise and I had to trudge through six inches of snow over to the barn to get the :wh:. Part way down I felt like I was going to slip so I just sat down and did the slide for life to the bottom of the hill. It was fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

slim67
10 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I am going with no chains or added weights this year for first time. So far - three snow events on three driveways and it is working amazingly well...(all drives are 150' long and relatively flat)...

Have I slipped - yes. But the ride is way smoother without chains and the asphalt and concrete driveways are not getting chewed up...

Taking slightly smaller bite of snow with each pass, but it is still WAY faster than my walk behind two-stage...

Chains absolutely do grip better and weight makes a difference, but I am liking the smooth ride, no added work of mounting chains and weights and no damage to drive...

Experiment in progress...

:twocents-02cents:

IMG_1603.jpg

That's an interesting experiment. You are a mad scientist! Or are you a nutty professor?🌡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
26 minutes ago, slim67 said:

That's an interesting experiment. You are a mad scientist! Or are you a nutty professor?🌡

Most would say both...:D

And no, I have not gained that much weight from last year...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

slim67
37 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Most would say both...:D

And no, I have not gained that much weight from last year...

It's ok to think outside the box. 

• Like 2

over60pirate

I welded a length of barbell bar to a 1/2" x 2" flat bar, and bolted it to my wheels. Then loaded it with weight plates. 50# ones on the outside

1513603874441.png

slim67
1 hour ago, over60pirate said:

I welded a length of barbell bar to a 1/2" x 2" flat bar, and bolted it to my wheels. Then loaded it with weight plates. 50# ones on the outside

1513603874441.png

That's a good idea.:wh:

bigplow1

Yeah I Def gotta have chains and weight uphill gravel drive and it's steeper than 953 nut driveway I am still working on the 520h but the tires will be loaded 2 link chains and barbell weights and if it gets bad I have 200 lbs of weight for the rear 

Tankman
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, 953 nut said:

If you had my driveway to plow you would have a new prospective on weights.

Driveway like that would make me think, "Heated driveway next time!" :ROTF:

• Haha 1