Sparky

Tool-box upgrade

WVHillbilly520H

I have the main 2 boxes, really good units, thinking of adding the side cabinets someday, Jeff.

IMAG2027.jpg

• Like 5

wallfish
13 minutes ago, Sparky said:

need to get the stickers off it 😡...not a fan.

Why, what's the problem? You're a Manley BRO?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

Don't try to roll it when it's full and drawers not locked! :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Sparky
13 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Why, what's the problem? You're a Manley BRO?

I gotta learn to not talk to you at the local tractor shows 😄 !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Sparky Don't go shopping in Sears for tools. Went to the local mall Sears store to purchase a friend a gift( tool related of course) . The shelves were almost bare. Bought him a set of gear wrenches which surprisingly still have the life time guarantee . The tool department was a sad sight. I do like your new tool box, it is bigger than my shed.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

wallfish
26 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I gotta learn to not talk to you at the local tractor shows 😄 !!

WHAT? The post was even cleaned up a bit by removing the joke about the "Cobb"

Does that box have the nice heavy roller slides on the draws?

• Like 1

Sparky
39 minutes ago, squonk said:

Once I choose its "spot" in the garage it'll never move again.....that's my plan anyway 👍

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:think: Always wondered about that. 

squonk

I should get a pic of my Mac box. It's got some "battle scars" from when I tipped it over and bent a bunch of the slider rails. Mac replaced them at no charge even though the box was over 25 yrs. old. :handgestures-thumbupright:

It's even got a dent in a drawer from a near miss from a ball bearing fight we had at a Chrysler dealer in the early 80's. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Does that box have the nice heavy roller slides on the draws?

Screenshot_20171215-190608.png

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Sparky Don't go shopping in Sears for tools. Went to the local mall Sears store to purchase a friend a gift( tool related of course) . The shelves were almost bare. Bought him a set of gear wrenches which surprisingly still have the life time guarantee . The tool department was a sad sight. I do like your new tool box, it is bigger than my shed.   

You know who has the Go Mango tool box !5a3476f8b5692_0624171213(1).jpg.c81ed0a21837bd1c40195a75d2b3864c.jpg

• Like 3

Terry M
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Something tells me there is a story behind this statement  ^^^^ :think:

• Like 3

squonk

Yup. I wanted to move the box to clean around it. I didn't lock any drawers. I was pulling it out of it's spot and a wheel caught something on the floor and it stopped abruptly. The drawers opened up because of the weight shift and over it went drawers first. 

Edited by squonk
  • Sad 3

Terry M
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Yup. I enter to move the box to clean around it. I didn't lock any drawers. I was pulling it out of it's spot and a wheel caught something on the floor and it stopped abruptly. The drawers opened up because of the weight shift and over it went drawers first. 

Ouch.... :o

• Like 1

Shynon

I have 2 of the 44" took the wheels of and added a galvanized steel top. Still trying to fill the drawers. 

20161217_182348.jpg

• Like 8

WHX??

I was going to say you needed to chime in on this thread about those Tom... almost the best thing in your shop. Gonna have me a set someday under a big window like that!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
14 hours ago, squonk said:

That size box does not have locking drawer catches. I guess that you mean lock the whole cabinet with a key.  Another thing to think about is opening too many drawers at once when searching [if you are like me and don't always remember which drawer is what].I nearly tipped one over doing that.

Just a few things about this cabinet that are just my opinion.  I think for the average person, this USG cabinet or maybe two of them might just be the most bang for the buck that Harbor Freight sells. The drawers glide very nice , and glide even nicer when they are full. See those deep drawers on the bottom? They can be moved to any position on the cabinet because the roller glides are spaced two each on the deep drawers and the drawer is exactly twice as deep as two of the other ones. The cheapest they ever sell for is $329.00  . "Normal" sale price is 369.00 and moderate sale price is $349.00

No, they do not match snap-on or boxes like that. I would put USG 44",60" or 72" against anything Lowes Kobalt [i have one} or Sears Craftsman all day every day. Kobalt boxes used to be heavier than they are now, and the USG compares favorably to them. I needed a small cheap tool cabinet to fit inside a truck utility box, and after looking around, the USG box beat Depot, Sears, Lowes on price. I measured their boxes and they were identical even to the location and hole spacing that help the logo plate on them--so the same box built in the same factory!

I do not think that the highest grade USG boxes are identical, but slightly heavier than the box stores.

One other thing to remember is to use some better grade hardware to mount the casters on the tool cart. Grade two is not that great in any application, and I am not sure if the hardware kit is even a true grade two.

I know one guy who uses Snap-on at work and got some extra logos and put on his USG boxes at home. His buddies were impressed

• Like 1

clueless

" My, that's a big one"

• Like 1

Sarge

I've been tempted to upgrade my box and really need to address it since everything is so tough to get to with every drawer basically "stacked" to fit the main set I have in it and the casters are starting to sink into it's base badly from being overloaded . I have 5 main boxes right now scattered between the rear entrance and the basement shop - including Dad's big box he used for 40+yrs as a mechanic . I don't have room for any 72" or anything super tall and for the price it's tough to beat those HF US General boxes for how they are built . I have one 5 drawer tool cart next to the lathe for all it's tooling and support stuff - it works excellent and is probably well overloaded past it's weight rating without any problems , still even rolls pretty well but it's rarely moved . Still can't fit all the stuff the lathe needs in that one and it would help if I picked up a good machinist's chest for all the measuring equipment and such - been hunting for a decently priced old Kennedy or something but their market has hit some staggering levels for the larger ones .

There is a cool site that carries industrial boxes that ships - almost all their offerings are geared towards large commercial shop use and the prices on them isn't bad for what you get - about half of what the tool truck brands charge and these are better cabinets - a friend of mine has several in his shop . Their large series boxes weigh over 1,000lbs empty and are lifetime warranted on their drawer glides and box structure - wish I could find the dumb site but some bookmarks got lost with the last system crash when I had to recover my laptop . I'm trying to quit working on so much stuff and buying new tools but it's not really working - and I don't want to invest into an expensive and huge box to make that even worse , I'm not a mechanic anymore...lol .

I like the idea of using the two or more larger cabinets as a bench and many are going to portable work tables with several boxes incorporated into the base of the tubing frame - those are a really cool idea and would suit what I'd need in a garage perfectly .

Sarge

WVHillbilly520H

Could go this route :confusion-confused:...

Screenshot_2016-03-27-20-11-02.png

• Like 5

squonk
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

Could go this route :confusion-confused:...

Screenshot_2016-03-27-20-11-02.png

There we go! All the way down to the Grease barrell/trash Pennzoil can! :banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

Here's my Mac Tools box. Bought it in 1990 give or take a year. It has been in 5 garages including home where it resides now. :)

5a3591aeb275f_toolbox003.JPG.106fd059046894222d640245022718d3.JPG

5a3591b7e7b46_toolbox004.JPG.e480e0bcb57415e9e729a8caf666a94d.JPG

The black dot is actually a dent from the ball bearing fight! :occasion-xmas:

5a3591c0b90d0_toolbox005.JPG.df8a48462823c7003f9b5b024a48edac.JPG

• Like 5

Sarge

That's close to what I have in mind - if I can get the space to put it into ..lol .

I like these for ideas - considering a lot of fab work is done here as well as repairs -

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507217976757981293/

https://www.cnccookbook.com/diy-welding-table-cart-designs-ideas/

Sarge

• Like 1

Sparky

UPDATE:

To fit this box in where I wanted it it required me to rewire power and one light switch. They fell behind the box 🙄. 

Had some free time so I got into it today....wiring is done and the box is in it’s new home. Next up is unloading the old box and getting al the tools re-organized and into the drawers!

6F65EA3F-08A9-4360-BC03-2F3FAE85D34C.jpeg

85B6B96D-D26A-4CB2-9A04-E8229DC26AD2.jpeg

9B99014F-AA48-47FD-8E4D-F6C53EE3D891.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3