Sign in to follow this  
RJC1965

520 with lower RPM’s

RJC1965

I have owned my 520 since this summer and I seems to run very well this is my first wheel horse as well. My no load RPM is 3100 on the tachometer and when mowing or using my snowblower it stays around 3100. I know it should run closer to 3600 RPM’s. I did a tune up, plugs, gas filter, cleaned the carb, compression test got 125 on both cylinders. My question is how do you get a few more RPM’s out of it. I believe it should throw the snow further right on with lighter snow it’s like 20 feet I thought the two stage was more in the 35 to 50 foot range. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Even an under load is stays at just below 3000 to 3100. 

608KEB

Is the throttle  linkage open all the way. Have tested it by using the governor?

Edited by 608KEB

cschannuth

My 314 was only running about 3000 RPM. It was nice and quiet and smooth but struggled to mow grass effectively. I downloaded the engine manual off this site and adjusted the maximum RPM to about 3500 and it made a huge difference. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

You should see a stop where the cable connects that limits the throttle position.  Ensure that the cable allows movement all the way to the stop, adjust cable position if necessary.  If the stop is being contacted at maximum throttle, then the stop needs to be bent till desired RPM is obtained.

• Like 2

JoeM

I would double check the RPM with an external gauge to insure the on board reading is accurate.

• Like 2

RJC1965

Thank you all for your suggestions. 

I will I’ll get out in the garage and check the linkage. I was able to speed up the engine by working the govener I will see if I can set the throttle linkage to increase RPMs. Or bend the tab to allow for more RPMs.

I wish I had a handheld  tachometer how close are the rpm gauges in the 520 in your experiences?  I may see about picking one up a meter at my local HF,I see they sell them. 

I will let everyone know what happens. 

P3x

When checking the RPM on my 520, the tach seems to be fairly accurate - at least +/- 100 RPM. But hard to say due to the graduations on the Toro tach gauge vs. the RPM testers I have. All are digital and will indicate down to 1 RPM.

Close enough.

RJC1965

Got it fixed just needed to adjust the throttle cable slightly and now I have 3500 to 3600 RPMs on the tach. I can tell the difference it is throwing snow 20 to 25 feet now that is good considering it is of the lighter variety. And my chute is rusty as well. Thanks to everyone for helping out. 

• Excellent 1