Gracie's Dad

Snow plowing

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the snow myself. Man and machine battling the elements.

Glenn.      :occasion-snowman:

• Like 4

TIGman
8 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I like the snow myself. Man and machine battling the elements.

Glenn.      :occasion-snowman:

That's right Glenn.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_20171209_115538173.jpg

• Like 4

Tankman

Grandsons love snow so, I let them have it. All of it! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Christian_Plow-www.jpg.9e9c874bf3b48b7fae7d812759205e36.jpg416-414-Plows-www.JPG.3480011e08410321bbb41d8db8733ada.JPG

• Like 1

steelman

I agree, it is fun clearing a path with these machines whether by blower or blade. I am in Hartland Twp. just a half hour south of Flushing. We had a good ten inches last week and it has pretty much melted away. :text-merryxmas:

JimmyJam

Ooops! Brought out the wrong Wheel Horse! LOL!  :occasion-xmas:

gallery_8802_470_20383.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

squonk

If it’s fluffy, turn the deck on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

TDF5G

Yep!  My favorite :wh: job is pushing snow! :)

• Like 1

953 nut

Now that all the snow from our last storm has milted my team is ready!             :ychain:5a3befc8a8f9a_SnowTeam171.JPG.de6b1ee3d46e7acbd24cd16fac699741.JPG

• Like 5

Kurt-NEPA

I agree, the best time to run a Wheel Horse is clearing snow.  A lot more fun than mowing.

5a3c1ec176496_14Dec2017520HandBlowing2.jpg.f7782ef73bb3edb8c41aebdac8f43d82.jpg

From our first snow fall about a week ago.  Not enough to challenge my 520H and a two stage.  Got that cab three years ago, I'm not going back.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Gracie's Dad

Steelman, I ran right through your neighborhood on US-23 the morning of the storm, and and back through about 8 that night. I got to spend the day at U of M medical center for mom's heart surgery. I think we had you guys beat on amounts, but not by much. Have not started the 416-8 for the season, so I plowed instead of blowing snow. I enjoy the plow more anyway.

• Like 2

TDF5G

I've not had a chance to get my snow pusher ready for the season. :( Forecast here in KC says maybe 1" Sat. night.  That ain't enough to have fun with, but I still need to get her ready.

steelman
On December 15, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Gracie's Dad said:

Without a doubt, this is my favorite reason to have a wheelhouse! ❄

20171215_141428.jpg

Or wheelhorse

steelman
22 hours ago, Gracie's Dad said:

Steelman, I ran right through your neighborhood on US-23 the morning of the storm, and and back through about 8 that night. I got to spend the day at U of M medical center for mom's heart surgery. I think we had you guys beat on amounts, but not by much. Have not started the 416-8 for the season, so I plowed instead of blowing snow. I enjoy the plow more anyway.

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope that she is on the road to recovery. Funny that you would mention your 416-8; I just returned from a road trip and picked up a 416-8 myself. The C160 has a cracked case and is leaking fluid. I will be mounting my blower on the 416 on Saturday. Got to be ready for the next batch of white stuff which is sure to come!

Gracie's Dad

Steelman,

She is, thanks for the thoughts. Does the 416 have the onan or is it one of the old kohlers? I prefer kohlers, but mine is an onan. I do like the sound of a twin though, and it hasn't given me any trouble.  

artfull dodger

Should be getting our first pushable snow this weekend.   Lots like play time on Christmas eve here in north central Indiana.  Calling for 1-3 with most melting on the pavement today and 2-4+ tomorrow and sticking.  Gotta put the Horse's battery on the charger, has a bad cell and goes dead if I don't run the horse every few days.  Got the recoil start just in case though.   Gotta love a short frame foot dragger for snow duty, small and easy to get around.  With those rubber link chains, I have yet to get hung up in past winters.   This is the first winter with diesel power under the hood though.  No issues starting so far, even in the teens temp wise I didnt need the intake heater     Mike the Aspie

Resized_20171103_113807.jpg

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, artfull dodger said:

Should be getting our first pushable snow this weekend.   Lots like play time on Christmas eve here in north central Indiana.  Calling for 1-3 with most melting on the pavement today and 2-4+ tomorrow and sticking.  Gotta put the Horse's battery on the charger, has a bad cell and goes dead if I don't run the horse every few days.  Got the recoil start just in case though.   Gotta love a short frame foot dragger for snow duty, small and easy to get around.  With those rubber link chains, I have yet to get hung up in past winters.   This is the first winter with diesel power under the hood though.  No issues starting so far, even in the teens temp wise I didnt need the intake heater     Mike the Aspie

Resized_20171103_113807.jpg

I have found that with the 10 hp diesel singles, when it is cold, to use my heat gun to warm the intake air.  It does a better job than the heat plug installed in the intake chamber. 

EricF

Snow, followed by freezing rain here in New Hampshire. Made for fluffy stuff with a crust of ice, and water melting through that turns the fluffy stuff into a wet mess. Plus ice wherever the snow was cleared but the the sleet and rain hit. The plows did thier usual dirty work of piling slush in the end of the driveway.

Didn't matter much to the 520 with a 2-stage blower. Just slowed down and let it chew its way though. :thumbs:

It makes a big difference for me -- both my street and my driveway are too narrow, really. The 520 can make a wide cut off the edge of the driveway so you have somewhere to step when you get out of the car -- not into a snowbank! And the way my house is set up, the extra cut goes straight up to the front steps. That makes short work of the pile that forms there when the snow slides off the solar panels on the roof! The best part is, the 2-stage blower's chute swivels past 90 degrees to point slightly back -- so I can drive straight up close to the steps and still shoot the snow back away from the house. They thought of everything... (I'm not a stranger to tractor-mounted snowthrowers; I grew up with a John Deere 110 and a single-stage. I doubt it could do some of the tough stuff I attacked with the Wheel Horse, though, and I don't remember it having the wide sweep of chute rotation that the Wheel Horse has.)

The other problem here is that the street is a bit narrow. People's driveways fill up with their cars, and then there's nowhere on the street to park. No problem... I cut the plow's snowbank back and then another pass and a half or so along the shoulder so I have someplace to put the cars while I clear the driveway, or for the kids to park theirs when they visit. I used to do this with an 8HP walk-behind snowthrower -- no fun, and I couldn't cut all the way along the front of the property to the edge where the neighbors' piled up snow from their driveway -- which tended to get in their own way even worse. Now it's cut back clear to their driveway, which makes it easier for them, too!

I haven't lived anywhere with curbs for ages, so I got in the habit a long time ago of cutting the snowbank back along the front of the property, at least around the driveway, so there's less for the plows to pick up and shove into the driveway or the mailbox. When there's no curb, the grass never grows well at the edge of the road anyway -- too much salt and sand runs off the road -- so I never worry about tearing up the lawn along the edge. I can lift the 2-stage just a bit so it "floats" over the uneven surface anyway and won't pick up rocks or chew up the grass. A lot easier than with the walk-behind machine.

I guess after the past few messy winters, another one of the neighbors finally decided to put the walk-behind machine aside -- he was out with a new-ish looking big Craftsman/Husqvarna fitted with single-stage snowthrower. I was wondering if I was going to be the only crazy guy with a tractor and snowthower combo. (Typical thinking here is if the walk-behind isn't doing a good enough job, then buy a bigger walk-behind...) So far with the wet or icy snowfalls, it hasn't taken any less time with the tractor than with the walk-behind, but I'm clearing more out than before, and it's a lot easier on me!

• Like 2

artfull dodger

Mine is a genuine Yanmar 6.6hp diesel and has intake preheater grids like a dodge/cummins powered pickup truck