Marfam

HH 160-170019

Marfam

My grandson just purchased a C-160 with a Tecumseh engine HH160-170019. It came in pieces and we are trying to get it assembled so we can see what we have before we decide on what restoration we need.We keep ordering recommended spark plugs and they all show up wrong. The plug is smaller than the threaded hole in the head. Has anyone else run into this and if so what plug do I need to get. The last one we ordered was a champion c7 and it was too small.

ol550

Do you still have the plug that came out of it? May have a helicoil that came out with the plug. :think:

:WRS:

• Like 4

gwest_ca

Champion L-82c or L-85 in this operator manual for the OH-160. A quick search found 14mm threads with a 12.7MM (1/2") thread reach. 

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi

I have a feeling that the overhead valve OH-160 would use a different plug than the Flat Head HH160.  I am wondering like ol550 about a helicoil that came out.

• Like 1

Marfam

The original plug was missing. Im thinking about a spark plug adapter to take it to 18mm. NGK does make an 18 mm plug but for ease in the future I think an adapter may be the way to go.

pfrederi

I just measured a helicoil spark plug insert.  It is just under 17MM OD

Edit  Their instruction have you drill out the old hole with  5/8" drill bit.  If that fits on your hole I would try getting an insert and see if it threads in.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Howie

I've never seen one of those with bigger threads than the 14mm. I would check about the helicoil insert. 

Marfam

We have determined that the head has been messed with. My concern now is that it doesn't appear that this head has ever been taken off. Going to pull the head and see about installing a timsert insert.

• Like 1

Howie

I have heard that some people try to put those inserts in without removing head. To me that is not a good idea!