prondzy

R/C Hobby

prondzy

Ok, so i used to have a traxxas Tmaxx and a traxxas Slash at one time in my life, got out of R/C into WH! But im kinda getting the itch to buy another Tmaxx to play around with, so it got me wondering how many other guys are into the R/C world and what do you have? Car, truck, drone, doesnt matter let see them!:wwp:

• Like 3

WHX??

There was thread awhile back about the R/C hobby... Mike lots of cool stuff in it. I got a buddy who was into R/C racing boats but I got no pics! :text-imsorry:

• Like 1

Achto

Here's a pic of my T-MAXX. Full aluminum chassis in red. Stinger pipe, O.S. cylinder head, high torque servo's, RPM rims and bumpers & way too much money spent. I also have a couple of Traxxas Stampede's, an Associated stadium truck, and a couple of pan cars set up for carpet oval track. Except for the T-MAXX every thing I have was set up for racing. 

IMG_20170513_185537413-min.thumb.jpg.7299790704ede1fb8f2cb5ffa564fb42.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Wishin4a416

I used to have about a Dozen planes. From micro to giant scale. Some kits and lots of home builts. Was a nice Hobby.

• Like 3

12 hp Kohler

I have an electric Traxxas rustler, here’s a pic. The thing will go up to 40 mph.  image.jpg.75318bc11a24c35a4aaa8129cc0736d6.jpg

It has a wheelie bar on it but took it ok for running in the snow. If your running electric I definitely recommend a lipo battery they are great and add lots of speed. 

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
8 hours ago, prondzy said:

Ok, so i used to have a traxxas Tmaxx and a traxxas Slash at one time in my life, got out of R/C into WH! But im kinda getting the itch to buy another Tmaxx to play around with, so it got me wondering how many other guys are into the R/C world and what do you have? Car, truck, drone, doesnt matter let see them!:wwp:

I bought the fox 4x4, my son has the slash.

It's fun. Best of luck on your decision.

Glenn

• Like 2

Achto

Doesn't seem like your getting a lot of pics so.... now that I'm home & not screwing around at work, I'll take you guys on a little walk down memory lane. I've been out of the hobby for a while so all my stuff is kinda old school. No brushless motors,No Lipo batteries, and FM channel radios. I thought that I had it made that my old Futaba radio would store presets for 10 different cars.

First of I'll share a peek under the hood of my T-Maxx. A lot of fancy aluminum additions and the vintage 1.5 Traxxas engine.

DSCN1923-min.JPG.f7d8e3579cd8539a06bc392b7ac9d651.JPG

DSCN1924-min.JPG.64c59da657d5f827b4e8cd5136ac612d.JPG

Next is a pic of my Traxxas Stampede, this is the truck that started me out racing RC. Hobby Town in Oshkosh did a lot to support RC racing and the Stampede class was one of their entry level classes. The only performance alteration that was allowed in this class was to switch from the stock non rebuild-able Traxxas motor to a stock 27 turn rebuild-able motor and turn buckles were allowed in place of the stock plastic suspension links. I got hooked racing this truck on the off road track my first summer of racing. I thought that after summer I would be done racing but then I found out that they ran the same class & rules in the winter on the indoor carpet track. So a new body to replace the one that I beat the crap out of out door racing and I tried the indoor oval. After winning a few 1st place season points trophies over the years ( both indoor & out door ) I stopped racing this truck regularly and let new comers have their chance in the class.

DSCN1916-min.JPG.a3479d474cf75cbc074f8c3a438dd746.JPG

Next I started racing stadium truck class. This Associated Engineering stadium truck was raced on the out door track during the summer, then the off road tires were traded for a set of foam tires to run the indoor oval track during the winter. With a 13 turn mod motor this truck will easily hit 45+mph.

DSCN1920-min.JPG.eb335905a82ec2811b8260e7762c78d6.JPG

I enjoyed carpet oval so much that I decided to  also try a pan car. I picked a spec Nascar class (stock 27 turn motor, 4 cell battery, & spec foam tires) This was a fun class with a lot of work to be competitive. I would disassemble the motor in between each qualifier and the main.  The commutator would get turned down on a lathe and new brushes would get some special cuts before installing, then a short 2min break in before the next race. Batteries were hand picked for matching numbers & then made into a pack to use in the car. The first thing that I did with a set of new tire was put them on a truer and grind half of them away in order to get rid of side wall roll. Tires would last about 18 races / or 6 nights of racing. When the car was set up right I could hold the throttle wide open and just steer, holding about 30mph on a 30ft by 15ft oval track. I was able to take several 1st place points seasons with this car.

DSCN1918-min.JPG.5ae416126565a6e0c73746e08546a2c7.JPG

I also found this Traxxas Rustler that I forgot that I had.

DSCN1922-min.JPG.06bdaf9326eb770b5c15099910a2e7af.JPG

• Like 6

Cvans

I have a hard time keeping mine on the ground.

IMG_0096.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Holy cr@p Dan I didn't know you was that far into the hobby! Some pretty cool stuff to say the least! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Those look like  v-61s on some of those. 

I'm gonna have to quit following this thread for fear of getting addicted!

• Like 4

prondzy

This is awesome guys! Its getting me fired up!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

r356c

My well played with, beat up, homebrew 3mm depron front yard flyer.

27 grams with battery. On a still day, I can speck it out in thermals over my roof. Otherwise it stays below the tree line.

Working with thin foam is not much different than paper.

This Yamaha paper crafting series had some really good tips.

DepronFlyer.jpg

Edited by r356c
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Achto
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, prondzy said:

Ok, so i used to have a traxxas Tmaxx and a traxxas Slash at one time in my life, got out of R/C into WH! But im kinda getting the itch to buy another Tmaxx to play around with

Just a suggestion - I think I would go with a Traxxas E-MAXX. Less up keep & with a good brushless motor & Lipo batteries the acceleration is insane. A friend of mine has one that will literally rip the tires right off of the rims. He had to give up on gluing the tires and switch to bead lock rims, which helped but he can still balloon the tires off.

• Like 2

prondzy
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Just a suggestion - I think I would go with a Traxxas E-MAXX. Less up keep & with a good brushless motor & Lipo batteries the acceleration is insane. A friend of mine has one that will literally rip the tires right off of the rims. He had to give up on gluing the tires and switch to bead lock rims, which helped but he can still balloon the tires off.

I have considered the up keep side of this issue and batteries win hands down.  The mechanic and gear head in me says only NITRO!:auto-layrubber:

Edited by prondzy
  • Like 3

prondzy

Well guys i finally settled on a truck, i didnt end up with a nitro truck yet..... @Achto but i did take your advice with the kids and electric will be easier with them around. I settled on a 1/10th scale rock crawler/trail truck these things are awesome! I got an Axial Scx10 II this thing has working ring and pinions, 4x4, adjustable shocks!20180211_164655.jpg.40b47df36988c9046732569dbb5f3b5a.jpg20180211_162330.jpg.9f503040f4a83e32743c84db1f26abb9.jpg20180211_162414.jpg.d10271ece375b6561ae4881aa6dbe28a.jpg

The weather is kinda cold right now so i have been stacking up the kids toys to drive over kinda fun cant wait till the weather gets nicer!

Edited by prondzy
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto

That is a super cool looking truck!! What's in it for a motor & batteries.

prondzy
24 minutes ago, Achto said:

That is a super cool looking truck!! What's in it for a motor & batteries.

Rtr out of the box with a 35T motor i had to buy a charger and battery. The battery i got was an Onyx Lipo 5000mah 7.4v 25c  this thing can creep along at a snails pace and crawl up some steep stuff 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I'm not a huge Ford fan, but the new TRX-4 Ford Bronco from Traxxas is just cool looking.

Bronco-Action-10.jpg.c42f222e5210aaccd90e32fdfcddf6a4.jpg

Bronco-Action-04.jpg.36ace60ee43279ef8c218b7c70eb60a2.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??

Ford man in recovery myself but my dad had a couple of Broncs in his day so I'd take one was ya to give it to me!

imagesE71Z7UFS.jpg

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Is that really an R/C ...detail looks incredible!

untitled.pnganother old fav

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 2

Achto
3 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Is that really an R/C ...detail looks incredible!

Check out the video.

Prices start out around $450. Hop up kits are already available too, lift kits, bigger tires, etc.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

little red riding horse

Fancied something a little different to the usual camera photos and vids... 

couple of "mishaps" but getting there lol 

• Excellent 2

Stormin

Nice place you have here and a lovely location. :handgestures-thumbup:

little red riding horse

Thanks Norm, saving up to get the plot landscaped will be nice one day ! 

Achto

Thank you for the fantastic flight tour!!! I would like to pick up a drone some day & get proficient at operating it.

Achto

I just thought that I would share a video of the Blazer version of the Traxxas TRX-4. For the GM fans out there

Of course, they didn't forget the off road fans across the pond.

Edited by Achto