ClassicTractorProfessor

What pays for your Horse addiction

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, dclarke said:

I retired a little over a year ago but I drove these for a fertilizer and chemical company since 1989. 

670.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

Now I work for these guys. 

IMG_3077.JPG

I've logged several miles in a machine like the one in your second picture...sister company of the one I work for buys a lot of those, and replaces the box with a 70 bbl tank and a vac pump. That's what the non-CDL guys spread with. 

This was my wheels yesterday...had to wash out the frac tanks we were using for slop mud storage. This truck has a gear pump on it that when coupled with a 2" hose and fire nozzle will put out more pressure than most people want to hang on to...This tank was one of the worst I have ever seen

IMG_20171213_134243.jpg

IMG_20171212_143021.jpg

IMG_20171212_142619.jpg

IMG_20171212_143026.jpg

IMG_20171212_143014.jpg

IMG_20171212_142642.jpg

• Like 9

ClassicTractorProfessor

@dclarke here is one of their converted machines

FB_IMG_1513263851764.jpg

• Like 6

cleat
1 hour ago, dcrage said:

Cleat

I don’t think most people on here can appreciate how “nasty” this stuff is!! I am truly impressed that you have made a career of handling HF.  As a lifelong chemist this is the type of chemical you were glad you didn’t have to deal with!

And we work with pure Anhydrous HF. Any moisture and it fumes and reacts like crazy.

If, heaven forbid, the HF makes contact with a person then it quickly tries to absorb all the calcium from your body.

We have the treatment kits on site and at the local hospital just in case.

Keep it dry and it can be stored in regular steel storage tanks.

Once the reaction in the process happens then the corrosion rate goes way up so at that point everything is made from Hastelloy C276.

The HCL when it first comes out of the columns is also pure Anhydrous until we run it through a pair of 7 story tall water cooled Absorbers and convert it to aqueous. That is what is loaded and shipped offsite.

A year before I started (1988) there was one fatality on site due to a release of HF. There were no treatment kits here then and he died shortly after arriving at the Hospital.

He was walking past the base of the first separation column when a threaded instrument failed putting a cloud of HF vapours into the air. That is why he did not have on the acid suit.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

cleat
2 hours ago, nylyon said:

I'm an Architect with IBM Cloud specializing in SAP applications, but I take care of a website here and there for kicks.

At work, all my work orders and equipment history is handled by SAP.

I muddle through it but am not an expert in it by any means.

SAP is a very complex program.

• Like 4