WHwest8597

Waiting for snow

WHwest8597

For those of us who do not have a heated garage what kind if charger do you keep your battery on?  I have a small Craftsman charger/maintainer.

Walt

I have a small 1 amp auto but I use it for an occasional slow maintenance charge on deep cell boat battery, and will do same to my truck that is in garage for this winter. As for my tractors battery I bought one from Menards last year or the year before and have never had a starting issue in my unheated garage. Only time I have had to charge it was this fall when I decided to pull the deck and mount the blade. I hadn't started my tractor in 6 or 7 months since one of the grand kids was using my john deer walk behind to mow a few of the lawns around here including mine.

rjg854

As long as I start my tractors up at least every couple of weeks there's really no need to have them on a maintainer. They seem to start fairly easy.

• Like 1

hondagod64

I do the same , just starting it every couple of weeks and letting run for awhile seems to work fine  

Jerry77

I use a Stanley--charges and switches to float by itself - can use it to start one with a dead battery--60 bucks at wallyworld....had it two years and works great.

ericj

I buy the harbor freight battery tenders when on sale for $ 5.00. have a dozen or 2, never had any problems. I've  checked the ones I have and made sure they aren't putting out to many volts

eric j

Pollack Pete

I use Battery-Tender.Have 6 or seven of them.I usually buy a couple when I see a sale on line.Like TP Tools.Lots of cars,trucks,tractors and Harleys sleeping for the Winter.Nice to wake them in the Spring and all batteries are fully charged.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

These are the ones I use, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171214-174941.png

• Like 1

Walt

While at Menards on Monday I seen they currently have a Stanley 1 amp tender on clearance I believe it was priced at 11.99. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I use battery tender. Works good.

Glenn

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I got 4 Battery tender jr for my tractor batterys. This got them for 2 for $49.95 with free shipping. They come with the connectors that you can put on the battery permanent and clip on type.

I like them they work great. I started my C160 today to plow my first time. She started 2nd time with a strong battery.

I had 2 last year from harbor freight and one of them cooked almost all the water out of a battery. I won't use them again.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete
11 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I had 2 last year from harbor freight and one of them cooked almost all the water out of a battery. I won't use them again.

Like the old saying goes," You get what you pay for".

• Excellent 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

from harbor freight and one of them cooked almost all the water out of a battery.

:text-yeahthat:   Killed a new battery, trashed it and won't buy another. I just go to the barn with a little 2 amp charger if snow is predicted and give it a couple hours of top off.

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I've been using the the one I posted above for 5+ years now during the winters and so far no issues, they also come with the ring terminals and a quick disconnect harness, Jeff.

cschannuth
15 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I've been using the the one I posted above for 5+ years now during the winters and so far no issues, they also come with the ring terminals and a quick disconnect harness, Jeff.

I have a couple of these too, Jeff. They work really well. Plus you can buy the extra quick connect ring terminals so I have one of those on all of my tractors and I can just move the actual chargers around occasionally to keep them all charged up. I’ve been able to make batteries last five or more years which is pretty good for the small garden tractor batteries. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHnoob

Chuck (Save Old Iron) had a thread a couple years ago with instructions for modifying the Harbor Freight float chargers to avoid cooking your batteries:

Looks like the pictures are hosed (due to Photobucket 3rd-party hosting), but the text is still there.  Haven't tried it myself because I already have a Battery Tender Jr., but if I will if I need a second float charger.