Sparky

Better gas available?

Sparky

Just got back from a week in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area of Florida. I saw at a few gas stations that they offered REC 90....it's a 90 octane non-ethanol gasoline. Of course it's not available anywhere near me. The only non-ethanol sold near me from a pump seems to be the 110 octane stuff. Will it harm our tractors?

ClassicTractorProfessor

Not sure about that...I consider myself fortunate...we have a station the next town over that sells regular 100% gas...kinda pricey at $2.79 a gallon vs. $2.29 for the 10% at the other station...but well worth every penny...I run it in all my tractors, the RV, my pickup, everything I own...only thing here that gets the 10% is the company pickup...and that's only cause the boss almost had a heart attack when he saw the receipts for the good stuff a couple months ago

SPINJIM
12 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

Not sure about that...I consider myself fortunate...we have a station the next town over that sells regular 100% gas...kinda pricey at $2.79 a gallon vs. $2.29 for the 10% at the other station...but well worth every penny...I run it in all my tractors, the RV, my pickup, everything I own...only thing here that gets the 10% is the company pickup...and that's only cause the boss almost had a heart attack when he saw the receipts for the good stuff a couple months ago

You must be near the refineries, or have very low fuel taxes down there in OK.   Up here in PA, ethanol-free gas is $3.80 for 89 octane, and $4.95 for 92 octane.    I use a lot of Sta-bile gas treatment this time of year.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yes our fuel tax is lower than a lot of places...and a lot of our gas comes out of Texas...I can remember a time when I was paying close to $4.00 a gallon...but that was back in the days of $120 per barrel oil prices...crazy as it sounds I would gladly pay those prices again if it meant things would pick up around here...a big part of our economy here depends on the oil and gas industry...it's steady right now but I miss the boom days

953 nut
10 hours ago, Sparky said:

The only non-ethanol sold near me from a pump seems to be the 110 octane stuff. Will it harm our tractors?

110 won't do any harm, but there may be another outlet, check this out. https://www.pure-gas.org/

Ed Kennell

GasTaxMap-01-1024x980.png

Yep Jim,    we PeeAaaers are #1 in fuel use tax and #1 in bad roads....go figger.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JC 1965

I get 91 octane ethanol free gas for $2.99 per gallon. I only have to drive about 15 miles. I know it's pretty expensive but I like to feed my horses good.   :thumbs2:

• Like 1

953 nut
57 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

we PeeAaaers are #1 in fuel use tax and #1 in bad roads.

Ed's state is #1!

Image result for hooray!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sarge

The higher octane fuel might be pretty tough to fire off , may have to adjust the timing a bit being these are such low compression engines . They really only need 87 octane at most , I've never ran over 91 in mine but 110 is pretty extreme . I say try it - you could always go up a couple heat ranges on the plug as well and maybe use a hotter coil .

Sarge

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Everytime I go to Erie or Linesville I pick up 10 gallon of ethanol free for the tractors and chainsaws and weedwackers. Much better stuff.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

Sparky
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:10 AM, Sarge said:

The higher octane fuel might be pretty tough to fire off , may have to adjust the timing a bit being these are such low compression engines . They really only need 87 octane at most , I've never ran over 91 in mine but 110 is pretty extreme . I say try it - you could always go up a couple heat ranges on the plug as well and maybe use a hotter coil .

Sarge

Its like $10/gallon so I doubt I'll be buying it. For now I'll just keep treating ALL my gas with a stabil type product.

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Was a lengthy forum post here recently...

recommending the addition of two cycle oil to each tank of gas. 

Claims to work just as good as a long term fuel stabilizer as the non ethanol fuel.

What can it hurt, gave it a whirl, guess we'll find out in the spring.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Sparky
18 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug: Was a lengthy forum post here recently...

recommending the addition of two cycle oil to each tank of gas. 

Claims to work just as good as a long term fuel stabilizer as the non ethanol fuel.

What can it hurt, gave it a whirl, guess we'll find out in the spring.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Is this something your trying?

AMC RULES

Yep, in a couple, as we speak. 

Ed Kennell

When I winterize my boats, I drain all the 100/1 mixed gas and burn it in all my tractors and F-150 w/o any noticeable affects.

Sarge

I don't think anyone makes even a generic 2-stroke mix that doesn't have stabilizer in it due to the ethanol fuels - the damage it can do to a 2-stroke engine is serious so they've formulated the oil mixes to help with that fuel . I know the stuff from Stihl works excellent and I've heard of quite a few locals mixing it at half or quarter the normal ratio to run it in 4-stroke engines - really seems to help . Frankly , I just wish the ethanol would go away but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon with the lobbyists pushing it so hard..

Sarge

• Like 1

Wishin4a416
On 12/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, Sparky said:

Its like $10/gallon so I doubt I'll be buying it. For now I'll just keep treating ALL my gas with a stabil type product.

Wow.. I get it for just .40 more than ethanol fuel. Usually around 3.20 a Gallon.