ebinmaine

Anybody use a LARGE walk behind snowblower and find it tough to control??

ebinmaine

I have a Simplicity 13HP  38 inch, model 1390e (I think).

This machine a BEAST!!

Tons of power. Runs nice and smooth.

I WANT to like this thing and for the most part I do. BUT - It is very prone to pulling / jumping hard and fast in a sideways motion.

Do All the bigger machines do this?

I've tried to adjust the shoes from one extreme to the other up / down and find them best all the way down but then I'm picking up gravel.

Any thoughts, fixes, advice?

Thanks.

rjg854

I had a 33" Craftsman Professional, did my 800 foot driveway and the circle between the house and outbuildings. It was a beast but with finger controls and heated hand grips did a real nice job. But now being able to ride inside a cab and snow throw, I sold that sucker.  :ROTF:

Had no problems with it at all for the 7 years I had it. 

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine Hire BRF , he will do anything a snack of lead paint chips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

roadapples

You need another :wh: just for winter duty....:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Big_Red_Fred

Using my Name in Vain i see :ychain: i have know issues with my handy dandy coal shovel, see my post on Gee Fred, who should i call ? After driving thru my dam shop door ! 1234 5678 truck drivers:deadhorse:

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

Check the balance of the shoes. If they are off balance it will not play nice...

Also, if it has dual wheel drive and one wheel drive option (can have one or both wheels powered) I have found that only two wheel drive option will run smooth and straight...one wheel option is a pain...

:twocents-02cents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Got jerked around using a Gravely and the manuals say to time the flights or augers 180 degrees to each other. There is a hex shaft that runs through the bull gear in the auger gearbox. There are clutch discs between the flights and the gear and nuts at the outside ends of the flights and hex shaft allow you to adjust the friction against the bull gear. Too much load or a jamb of the flights they slip and save the gearbox.

Being the flight ends are 180 degrees from each other the left enters the snow then the right and if the snow is somewhat solid it caused the machine to jerk back and forth with each rotation. Got seasick on frozen ground.

Removed the one auger and timed them together. Smooth sailing now.

Garry

• Like 4

ebinmaine
On 12/14/2017 at 7:16 AM, gwest_ca said:

Got jerked around using a Gravely and the manuals say to time the flights or augers 180 degrees to each other. There is a hex shaft that runs through the bull gear in the auger gearbox. There are clutch discs between the flights and the gear and nuts at the outside ends of the flights and hex shaft allow you to adjust the friction against the bull gear. Too much load or a jamb of the flights they slip and save the gearbox.

Being the flight ends are 180 degrees from each other the left enters the snow then the right and if the snow is somewhat solid it caused the machine to jerk back and forth with each rotation. Got seasick on frozen ground.

Removed the one auger and timed them together. Smooth sailing now.

Garry

That's great info Garry, thank you.

I'll check that.

mrc

hi ebinmaine, check out sbsskids.com they make a good product. i put them on all my big blowers and they stop the jerkiness. hope this helps you. mike in mass.

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, mrc said:

hi ebinmaine, check out sbsskids.com they make a good product. i put them on all my big blowers and they stop the jerkiness. hope this helps you. mike in mass.

Thanks!

I was thinking of making something from angle iron and these will save me the time. I have almost no metal working tools so it would have been a challenge to say the least.

formariz

I find that even they are tuned to perfection they still are not the easiest things to use. You always have to muscle them around to some degree. Or better yet they are the ones muscling you around. After a couple of hours using one I am just done. Specially if you have a steep driveway like me and all kinds of turns to make with it. Since I started using a tractor with a plow I have happily reduced blower time to a minimum. It is however indispensable when there just is too much snow and you have to throw it far.

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, formariz said:

. Or better yet they are the ones muscling you around........

Since I started using a tractor with a plow I have happily reduced blower time to a minimum. It is however indispensable when there just is too much snow and you have to throw it far.

Couple great points there.

My honey actually had the idea to do just that.

We need to be able to throw the snow to a certain place.

SHE SAYS WE SHOULD GET A PLOW TRACTOR. 

:D

Sounds like a great idea ...

• Like 4

Oldarmy

I actually turned my dishwasher into a snow thrower. I just bought her a shovel. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Oldarmy said:

I actually turned my dishwasher into a snow thrower. I just bought her a shovel. :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DUCK !!!

Here she comes....

I won't tell her ya said that.B)

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, Oldarmy said:

So, let me guess...now you have a broken shovel with a corresponding lump on your rear end, dirty dishes, snow all over the driveway and you sleep on a couch in the unheated garage surrounded by empty take out food boxes...???

:ychain:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

So, let me guess...now you have a broken shovel with a corresponding lump on your rear end, dirty dishes, snow all over the driveway and you sleep on a couch in the unheated garage surrounded by empty take out food boxes...???

:ychain:

I'm not seeing a problem here. ....

• Like 1