Red144runner

Diamond plate foot pads

Red144runner

The sand paper foot pads worked fine on my 3/12. I did like the look of the later style rubber pads that partially went up the rear fender.

We picked up a bunch of 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" diamond plate in the mill clean out last month. Most will be used on my GMCs flatbed. There were some smaller pieces and I had wanted to make diamond plate pads for a while.

I didn't think the steel was any thougher than the 3/16" I had just used but I was wrong. Was harder to cut and drill. 

I cut 2 pieces for each side. A 12"x6" foot pad and 4"x6" rear piece that I welded on at the same degree as the fender. Next I filed the holes square to take the 5/16" carrige bolts. They will be held on with 3 per side. Finally I primed and 2 coats of gloss black rustoleum followed by a coat of truck bed liner. I could put them on now but I've slowly been replacing all the hardware with stainless and don't have the bolts yet. Should look cool

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4420.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Like the idea of SS hardware. Might be a good idea for one of us to to with AL diamond plate too. If your gonna do bed liner what's your theory behind the coats of gloss and not just a primer? Must have took a bit of filing to get those squares for the carriage bolts?

Edited by WHX12

Red144runner
18 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Like the idea of SS hardware. Might be a good idea for one of us to to with AL diamond plate too. If your gonna do bed liner what's your theory behind the coats of gloss and not just a primer? Must have took a bit of filing to get those squares for the carriage bolts?

The bed liner was an afterthought. The original plan was just the black paint. Then after I painted it I found 2 cans of bedliner in our cabinet. So it's extra protected. I did the underside too to protect the tractors finish.

I just did the same thing making my plows cutting edge. I found it harder to file the thinner diamond plate than the 3/16" I made the cutting edge with.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Red144runner said:

found 2 cans of bedliner in our cabinet

Extra non-skid too ! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tankman

Don't forget Never-Seez on all bolt threads.

Never-Seez.jpg.f4475f222f7a52f2d362dabf51ebf86a.jpg

• Like 1

Red144runner

Bolted up, ss hardware (neverseized). I tried it out and the bedliner offers great grip!

IMG_4426.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1