DougC

Treadmills. Manual or electric. Advise Requested

DougC

As my lungs have no tolerance for cold air these days even after quitting smoking in 2008 and my normal walkies around my 20 acre hobby farm stopped when the weather got cold, I have the urge to buy a low priced treadmill to walk............. NOT run on..... And thought I would get your educated and experienced thought on the subject.

I am hoping to get a unit that folds up and have looked on several web sites and even asked them questions but they are there to sell you anything they can not help you find what you need............... (I worked at GM dealerships my entire career around used car salesmen.....)  :lol:

Any advise would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.  :)

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Check out Goodwill , etc, there are always used ones for sale. I would think that the electric models would be easier on your lungs and may help you build up your strength. Every time I have had physical therapy , the treadmills are electric so less effort is required at first and you can gradually build up to more speed.

• Like 6

Jerry77
11 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I would think that the electric models would be easier on your lungs

I agree - I have an electric one that folds up...used to use it a lot - got bad knees now so.....anyway, I got mine at kmart about 10 years ago and it has the distance and time etc readouts - cost about 300 dollars- if you are up to it, it would help you I think..myself, I would get a base model without all the bells and whistles..here is one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weslo-Cadence-G-5-9i-Folding-Electric-Treadmill/45799822?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=6ddcbcf9-4fb9-4cc0-3385-263ee794cf63&config_id=2&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=6ddcbcf9-4fb9-4cc0-3385-263ee794cf63&item_id=45799822&parent_anchor_item_id=23750478&parent_item_id=23750478&placement_id=irs-2-m3&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=WwvWON2Z0_6Qhr6IeTG2po

280 bucks

1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just make sure it has long horizontal hand rails.

I don't care who you are...that there is funny....and too true...:ROTF:

• Like 3

squonk
15 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Check out Goodwill , etc, there are always used ones for sale. I would think that the electric models would be easier on your lungs and may help you build up your strength. Every time I have had physical therapy , the treadmills are electric so less effort is required at first and you can gradually build up to more speed.

Problem with electric. Your physical therapy bill paid for the electricity to run that treadmill. :)

Good electric treadmills are HEAVY!!!!

Non-electric models beat the snot out of you. 

I would opt for an exercise bike. They are found used often. Only downfall is you cant hang as many shirts on them.

You can mount a speedo and mileage meter on them though. :banana-jumprope:

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

I agree with Jim, i too have Difficulty Breathing with the cold setting in, I had Blood Clots in My Lungs from a Surgery gone wrong Last December, I Use a Electric, even with my Bad Knees, i just bare the pain & Them Diesel & Welding fumes aint helpn

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Problem with electric. Your physical therapy bill paid for the electricity to run that treadmill. :)

Good electric treadmills are HEAVY!!!!

Non-electric models beat the snot out of you. 

I would opt for an exercise bike. They are found used often. Only downfall is you cant hang as many shirts on them.

There is an exercise bike at my mothers , it weights a ton and my brother and I have moved to every room in house except the bath, it sits in the garage with an inch of dust on it. My mother says " Don't get rid of it I may use it again " she will be 91 in January , I am not holding my breathe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

DougC
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

I would opt for an exercise bike.

I bought one to use a year ago Mike. About a week later my wife gave it to her mother............ She said she needed it more than I did...............

Come to think of it maybe I should join the YMCA !!!!  :lol:

• Haha 4

DougC
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

I know Mike. The one I bought had a speedometer with an odometer on it......... It had almost 20 miles on it when my wife loaded it into my mother-in-laws car trunk while I was gone...............:lol:

• Like 1

ACman

To make you use whatever you get Doug you need to come up with a way where you have to put “such amount of miles” on it so then and only then the beer fridge will open . :occasion-xmas:

Wish you were closer I’d give you a treadmill and a bike . :)

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

DougC
3 minutes ago, ACman said:

To make you use whatever you get Doug you need to come up with a way where you have to put “such amount of miles” on it so then and only then the beer fridge will open . :)

And add on a man powered electric generator to power the television as I drink beer, watch the Bears and get "healthy"...........  :beer:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DougC
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Might be cheaper give one of these a try first. 

Thanks for the tip Craig.:)

I noticed on the site it said this however....

Currently unavailable. 
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

:lol:    STORY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Doug, if you Google search key words like "runners + breath warmer" 

you'll find there are many different types, and suppliers out there. 

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Look on CL there alwats on there and I like electric... it forces you to "keep up" but doesnt make you power the machine.

Tony

• Like 2

squonk
18 hours ago, DougC said:

I know Mike. The one I bought had a speedometer with an odometer on it......... It had almost 20 miles on it when my wife loaded it into my mother-in-laws car trunk while I was gone...............:lol:

You can buy it back from her. It's only got 21 miles on it now so " low mileage owned by an old lady"  applies! :lol:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

ACman
19 hours ago, DougC said:

And add on a man powered electric generator to power the television as I drink beer, watch the Bears and get "healthy"...........  :beer:

Put on a Attach-A-Amatic on the front....think of the possibilities Doug ! Like you said a generator but add some deep cycle batteries and a solar panel . You’d could go off grid and the injans can burn down all the poles they wanted :beer: ....... :lol:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

rmaynard

Wait until spring. That's the time you find them sitting out by the road for bulk pickup. If you buy one, after about a month, you will end up using it for everything other than what it was intended (Ed Kennell pictured it perfectly). I say this because everyone that I know (including me) who has purchased a treadmill or other home exercise equipment has done the same thing. I now walk 2 miles a day on a local jogging path. When the weather is cold, I go to the local mall. After my spinal surgery, I joined Planet Fitness for a year. Their treadmills are great, and you can watch one of about a dozen different TV's while exercising. Or if you are lucky, the "young scenery" all around you is also fun to watch. A lot better than the plain old wall in your basement. But having said that, I would not buy a treadmill or other type of exercise equipment unless you are totally motivated and committed. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WNYPCRepair
36 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Wait until spring. That's the time you find them sitting out by the road for bulk pickup. If you buy one, after about a month, you will end up using it for everything other than what it was intended (Ed Kennell pictured it perfectly). I say this because everyone that I know (including me) who has purchased a treadmill or other home exercise equipment has done the same thing. I now walk 2 miles a day on a local jogging path. When the weather is cold, I go to the local mall. After my spinal surgery, I joined Planet Fitness for a year. Their treadmills are great, and you can watch one of about a dozen different TV's while exercising. Or if you are lucky, the "young scenery" all around you is also fun to watch. A lot better than the plain old wall in your basement. But having said that, I would not buy a treadmill or other type of exercise equipment unless you are totally motivated and committed. 

Yep. Also check CL. You may even find one for free just to get it up out of the basement. I would give mine away if someone would carry it upstairs. LOL

• Like 3

Sarge

Far too many top of the line units end up on auction sites and CL - I'd never buy a new one again if it were me . I can find at least half a dozen for free in less than a week - just have to get some young'ns to move it , they are quite heavy . We got ours when my wife wanted to lose some weight and after I had the knee surgeries I used it quite a bit to get back in shape for work after being off for so long - now it just sits and I'm tempted to use that high power motor and controllers for a drill press as so many others are doing - it's a great upgrade and gives you variable speed with an amazing amount of torque .

Whatever the case - no reason to buy new - humans are committed to these things for a very short time and give up , too many low priced or free ones available . If you came here - you could have ours , lol....

Sarge

• Like 3

squonk

Dougie  would get in trouble at Planet Fitness and Doug you’ll get better results watching Hockey, auto racing or Jerry Springer than the Bears. It’s awfully hard to maintain your balance on a

treadmill when you’re laughing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DougC

Mike........ My mother -in-law is more like Steven Seagal  than the little old lady from Pasadena............:lol:

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Isn't everybody's? 

Image result for old lady roll pin gif

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2