• Sad 7

Notfishin

Nothing worse than a razor cut 

• Like 2

Vinylguy
Just now, Notfishin said:

Nothing worse than a razor cut 

Carpet knife 

It's not as bad as it looks. Still waiting for Dr to stitch it up. Just cut the tip off.

• Sad 2

Fun Engineer

Terry, terry, terry. :angry-nono:

Hope it heals well. 

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 4

SPINJIM

There are some jobs we need to leave to the professionals.   I had a new vinyl floor put down, and tried to save $100 by doing some of the prep wok myself.   I tore up my knee doing it, and it has cost me $1000 for surgery and physical therapy.  

I hope you heal fast Terry.   I guess that might slow down your guitar picking or piano playing for awhile.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

Achto

:think:Why does the shot that the doc gives you to stop the pain, hurt so darn much?!?  Hope you heal fast!!

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

Ed Kennell
33 minutes ago, SPINJIM said:

I guess that might slow down your guitar picking

:text-yeahthat:   For sure if it's the left hand.  Really need tough callused finger tips for frettin those strings.      Heal quickly Terry.

• Like 3

Vinylguy

All is well now. 3 hours in the ER and  one finger a tiny bit shorter. Good to go

Merry Christmas all and pay attention

• Like 6

953 nut
1 hour ago, Vinylguy said:

Carpet knife 

It's not as bad as it looks. Still waiting for Dr to stitch it up. Just cut the tip off.

I have always used a table saw, never thought of using a carpet knife!      :ychain:    Hope it heals up fast.

Image result for merry christmas

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

JPWH

Ouch! Hope it heals ok. That is a tender wound to deal with.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Terry I hope you heal fast those carpet knives are bad news. You look at them and you end up with a back cut.

• Like 1

19richie66

Ok, so there's five things we need to keep in mind regarding knife safety. :laughing-rolling:

sorry Terry. Just hope to get a chuckle out of you. Hope all is good and you heal quickly. Take care, Richie

IMG_5854.JPG

Just now, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Terry I hope you heal fast those carpet knives are bad news. You look at them and you end up with a back cut.

Yep! Nuff said!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

JPWH
2 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

All is well now. 3 hours in the ER and  one finger a tiny bit shorter. Good to go

Merry Christmas all and pay attention

I think we both learned the hard way. I also have one finger a little shorter. 40 years now and it still has not grown back.lol

KIMG1128.jpg.ee0687918d37fcef907037981bed312d.jpg

Edited by JPWH
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

dclarke

Ouch!  My brother lost the tip of his little finger last week, trying to separate his 2 dogs that were into it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Vinylguy
39 minutes ago, JPWH said:

I think we both learned the hard way. I also have one finger a little shorter. 40 years now and it still has not grown back.lol

Now i am feeling like a whiner. I am fortunate. Could have been way worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I did that once trying to cut apart a melted fuse holder on a 246H with a razor knife ...good thing my wife works in a surgery center. A swig off the bottle of Jack, a few stiches and I was right back at it trying to slice the other hand.

Heal fast Terry!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

JPWH
30 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Now i am feeling like a whiner. I am fortunate. Could have been way worse.

It's going to be tender for a while. I hope they gave you a finger tip protector.

• Like 1

ACman

Ouch....I know just how you feel Terry. There’s those times when you absolutely have to go to the ER .

While working in the HVAC field and always being around sharp objects we knew that you’re going to get cut eventually. We always carried three things in the work truck. 

#1 duct and electrical tape 

#2 napkins/paper towel 

#3 and the most important-superglue 

First we’d let the cut bleed to get any contamination out . Then to get the bleeding to stop wrap with napkins and tape (best bandaid ever) . After bleeding has stopped and cut would stay closed apply superglue. No stitches needed. Learned this from my uncle who was a Airforce medic in the 60’s . 

Many of trips to the ER were saved by this basic medical kit and we could stay working. 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 6

Vinylguy
3 minutes ago, ACman said:

Ouch....I know just how you feel Terry. There’s those times when you absolutely have to go to the ER .

While working in the HVAC field and always being around sharp objects we knew that you’re going to get cut eventually. We always carried three things in the work truck. 

#1 duct and electrical tape 

#2 napkins/paper towel 

#3 and the most important-superglue 

First we’d let the cut bleed to get any contamination out . Then to get the bleeding to stop wrap with napkins and tape (best bandaid ever) . After bleeding has stopped and cut would stay closed apply superglue. Learned this from my uncle who was a Airforce medic in the 60’s . 

Many of trips to the ER were saved by this basic medical kit and we could stay working. 

Dang! I have some duct tape. Oh well I just got my medicare card so figured I would give it a workout. Lol

• Haha 6

953 nut
22 minutes ago, ACman said:

There’s those times when you absolutely have to go to the ER .

Made an interesting discovery a couple months ago, cut my finger on the table saw and wrapped it hoping it would stop bleeding. Next morning it had not stopped so went to the ER. They said they couldn't stitch it because it had been over eight hours so if you think it will require stitches just go ahead and do it. The finger has healed up rather well without stitches on it's own.

• Like 5

Sarge

I've ground , cut , burned and exploded nearly every digit I own - so far haven't come up too short on any of them and I'm pretty good at stitching stuff up at home . I've gotten some epic butt chewings from the Doc , but he understood what I thought was minor compared to most folks - still got a chewing anyway . Worst one by far was when I first got the tig and wanted to push the machine to full power on both ac and dc welds to make sure that NASA looking electronics in it was going to hold up to stresses - forgot in my haste to hook up the ground and it used me instead to initiate the arc through the filler rod - 1/8" ER80ST6 rod , 1/8" tungsten and the Miller maxed out at 200amps . Blew one finger nail clean off and removed about half the dexterity I had in my left hand . I just sat there at the bench , wondering where in the heck that nail went and studying the underlying , burnt tissue . Put the stupid gloves on that I should have used in the first place and went back at it , no pain at all until about 4hrs later . Went to the ER and spent 4hrs in there as they scraped the burnt parts off and applied some sort of really stinky salve to it - that stuff was worse than the pain . 2yrs later - that stupid nail grew back and just one slight scar but the thing is still sore most of the time . There is still vaporized metal in it and it shows up as odd dots in x-rays , but otherwise only cold weather really bothers it . Since then , I've changed the hot start settings in the hidden programs on the welder , now it can only hit you with the 26,000 volt arc start - hurts about as much as a good engine coil shot instead of setting you on fire - lesson learned .

I hate that time limit on stitching - it used to be 24hrs or less - now it's down to a few hours and they won't do it . As I've gotten older evidently something has changed - can't seem to keep cuts closed and a few have kept me from doing what I need to get done - hate that . Have used the glue and such , but most times it just cracks back open in a short time and doesn't seem to hold nearly as well as a bandage of sorts . I like that Nextcare tape that is more like rubber or silicone - it's thick , tough and won't come off even if you want it to - with no residue . Got rolls of that stuff everywhere and plenty of other supplies - but lost my source for suture packs...ugh . I hate razor knife cuts - nearly took off a big toe with one cutting sub mats for a liner job on a HAZMAT site - that took forever to heal and removed part of the cartilage at the main rear joint - dumb thing still hurts now and then . Worst part - it cost me a pair of fairly new boots , cut it wide open just behind the dumb steel toe cap...so much for safety shoes .

Sarge

• Like 2

TDF5G

Ouch!  Hope that heals up well for you.  

• Like 1

Vinylguy

Changed the bandage this morning and it is ugly but is healing. Just hoping I have some feeling when it is done healing.

I am training my middle finger to work as an index finger just in case:)

• Like 5

oldredrider

Never underestimate the power of your middle finger!  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Word of advise be careful using super glue overhead if you have a mustache . Don't even ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3