Devin

C-175

oliver2-44

Search. The classifieds for  for"tractors and lots of parts". There in Webster Florida. I found the items searching for "estate" You could also sear Webster"

• Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My first order of business would be trying to get running what you bought. THEN move on from there. What if it doesnt run? Then you find another tractor, complete, that runs. Than you wasted money, for a parts tractor, you might not want to mess with. Look its only my opinon, just seems your putting the cart in front of the horse.  I can only wish you the very best in your adventure. 

Glenn

• Thanks 1

Devin

@oliver2-44 thanks ill take a look

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn thank you! Im hoping to have it running soon I know the engine runs the only problem is getting the fuel from the tank to the engine so I'm trying to get an electric fuel pump but finding a fuel pump that fits in 6mm fuel line is a pain

Edited by Devin

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
14 minutes ago, Devin said:

@oliver2-44 thanks ill take a look

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn thank you! Im hoping to have it running soon I know the engine runs the only problem is getting the fuel from the tank to the engine so I'm trying to get an electric fuel pump but finding a fuel pump that fits in 6mm fuel line is a pain

Great, is it hydro or shift? I missed that, hydros have thier own problems sometimes, shifting us more reliable for your first one. Will be following along. 

Glenn

Devin

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn its a C-175 Twin Auto so hydro if I'm not mistaken a while ago one of the first times I actually put gas in the carb and it fired up the whole thing lurched forward about a foot so I'm hoping thats a good sign

To be very specific its a 1980 Wheel Horse C-175 Twin Automatic and someone swapped our the original kt17 motor for the kholer m18

Edited by Devin
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 minutes ago, Devin said:

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn its a C-175 Twin Auto so hydro if I'm not mistaken a while ago one of the first times I actually put gas in the carb and it fired up the whole thing lurched forward about a foot so I'm hoping thats a good sign

Here's mine. A very nice rig you found. Step at a time. We have to look into that lunging forward. Why?

Glenn

20171210_125522.jpg

• Like 2

Devin

@JERSEYHAWG / Glenn well when it lugned forward I did not have the parking brake on because I didnt know how and i didn't know what the transmission drive clutch thing was but ive figured them both out now I'm hoping that means the transmission does work also I added onto the previous thing i said not sure if you saw basically exactly what tractor i have  

Edited by Devin

Skipper

Do not over think it. Test with a small container of gas connected to the carb and gravity fed. Just like the old style gastanks that sat over the carb. See if it works, and get moving from there. Be sure to test the hydro and the lift functions good. and of cause the engine. Those are the essentials on your 175 Auto. Check fluids before testing.

On that parts tractor, well try to brake it down worst case. You might have to put some ads on CL and other places.............

42 SD deck. 50 -150 depending on condition

14 hp kohler, Might run, and not stuck. 75 non runner -125 at least if it runs, and more yet if it is running good with no smoke.

8 speed trans, at least 75 - 100 if OK which they usually always are.

plastic fenderpan, if not broken, at least 75, and treat it nice and give it a rattle can regal red, and it is close to dubble that. 

Front axle with linkages, At least 25-50

+ what other parts that can be used.

As I see it, it would be a no brainer just for the deck, and then IF your hydro is shot, you could build a manual 8 speed from the two, and sell off the rest as parts. 

The fuel pump can be had on ebay for a good 25$, or a rebuild kit for around the same.

Oh and remember, that parts tractor is advertised at 150. If you show him 100 in cash, I bet you are close to getting it. ;-)

This is just how I see it, and you should follow your own way of doing things.

Good luck with the project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, Devin said:

get an electric fuel pump

I am a strong advocate of electric fuel pumps, Any auto parts store can get you a universal low pressure fuel pump or you can go to Ebay and get one, this is the one I use;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-12V-Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump-Diesel-Gas-Fuel-Oil-for-Universal-car/182455270871?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p20551

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

As I see it, it would be a no brainer just for the deck, and then IF your hydro is shot, you could build a manual 8 speed from the two, and sell off the rest as parts. 

Skipper is right on! Parts tractor is probably a great deal, I just picked up a non-running parts tractor and after a few minutes work was driving it around, strong engine and hydro, the hydro lift even works well! Go get it.

7 hours ago, Devin said:

the whole thing lurched forward about a foot so I'm hoping thats a good sign

There is a small lever on the right side between your feet that tensions the belt, pull it up and it shouldn't lurch forward.This may come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Devin

@953 nut does that fuel pump have 6mm inlet and outlets? I couldnt find it anywhere on the eBay ad

@Skipper Thank you! I dokt know how many of you have read my first thread but I'm 15 and learning about mechanics my dream job is to restore cars so this is a great place to start with that said my mom doesn't think that the possible part lawn mower is worth that much now that I know a little more about how much each part is worth I should be able to get it;

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Devin said:

does that fuel pump have 6mm inlet and outlets?

I used 1/4" rubber fuel line to hook it up, Guess that is about 6mm. Be sure to mount the pump low on the frame, they are better at pushing fuel than pulling it up hill.

Devin

@953 nut yep the line says 1/4 and 6mm on it I for some reason never remember the 1/4 and i just took the fuel pump off and apart and this is the inside of it I cleaned it put it back together and put the inlet part in some water and manually pushed the lever and it works the water came out the outlet 

20171212_184354.jpg

• Sad 1

953 nut

The big problem with these pumps is that they are on top of the engine and have to lift the fuel about 12 to 15 inches depending on how full the tank is. The valves may leak a slight bit which makes the pump less effective and it has to pump about 1/2 PSI just to get fuel up to the pump.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
22 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

What 953Nut says...Thats what PO did with mine...Much better I think...

The cocktail on the hood is my Black Hood toasting a welcome to your Black Hood!!!T

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

I like that Liquid exhaust stack you have there ! Blue Moon ? LOL

• Like 1

Devin

@953 nut I'll put the engine back together tomorrow with the manual fuel pump and see if it works because if it does well hey thats just less money i have to spend at the moment I'll probably reaplace it with an electric one in the future if it does work but for now my main goal is just to get it running on its own!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1