Docwheelhorse

Transmission Conversion? Eaton 700--1100

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

Received a call from an older gentleman that owns a 516 auto he bought new. Well it has the "cheaper" Eaton 700 and no hydro lift. Its controlled by shifter between legs. He thinks its an 88 or 89 and the pump completly quit... he brought it to a dealer and they want almost $2000 to fix it 😭

He called me looking for a trans... I dont have a 700 ---but--- I do have (2) 417 hydros with Eaton 1100s and the between your legs shifter. They are engineless parts csrcasses. How much work would it be to convert the 516 to an 1100 transaxle? Can the lift hydraulic port be blocked off or a hose put between output and return? Instead of having to pull the whole lift assembly apart.

Thanks Tony

Edited by Docwheelhorse
  • Like 2

953 nut

This thread should answer all your questions.

• Like 1

JoeM

Bolts right up, the linkage looks a little different but is really not. Just have to flop over the cam plate. I connected the hydraulic lift inlet hose straight to the filter. bypassing the valve. nothing else I can remember.

5a2dc76c035aa_Eaton700Linkage.jpg.0a77c479cd7389aeff8a329475ca91d0.jpg

5a2dc76d1c247_Eaton1100LinkageOldC145.jpg.d15314656f7c79083307d4da280c5bad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jerry77
12 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

Bolts right up, the linkage looks a little different

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

This thread should answer all your questions.

Easy conversion - wheelhorseman can make you a hose to bypass the hyd lift...retain the long rod that goes to the cam plate...it is longer than the one on the 1100.. I needed it on my 516 conversion ...I used the  cam plate as is...didn't flop over....your 516 is an 88 - only year it was made...I purchased a complete transaxle assembly including hubs from richmondred01 for mine...it was super easy...might be harder if you only get the pump.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

cleat

I would add the lift too if possible.

If you get the parts from a donor machine, it should be pretty straight forward.

I would not want to use a manual lift after being spoiled with hydraulics.

Either way, the 1100 is the way to go, don't know why Wheel Horse put the 700 in a 500 series.

Cleat

• Like 1