dclarke

Spark plug cover

dclarke

A buddy was junking an old portable generator a while back and asked me if I wanted the motor/generator off of the engine. When I went to take it off I noticed this cover/kill switch over the spark plug, I've never seen one like this before so I took it off and put it in stock. Probably one more thing my kids will sell at the garage sale they're bound to have after I'm gone. lol...... Anybody see these back in the day?

DSC06846.JPG

DSC06847.JPG

DSC06849.JPG

Edited by dclarke
  • Like 6

WHX??

Never Denny...possibly some sort of (early) RFI device or perhaps a kill device???? Yah some day they are gonna say what is this for and why was the crazy old fool keeping it! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:           Looks like it would protect the plug during inclement weather.

• Like 2

dclarke
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:           Looks like it would protect the plug during inclement weather.

That's what I thought, Richard. Pretty good idea they had.

• Thanks 1

1995 520H+96+97

Looks like Case flambeau red paint.

diesel cowboy

Never seen one of those in person before only in the old Briggs microfiche at work.  Its listed in the model 19 fiche as a shield assembly, spark plug part number 89742.  Probably the same for most of the 8hp and up engines from that vintage

• Like 4

AMC RULES

I was going to ask who manufactured the engine it came off of. 

dclarke
6 hours ago, diesel cowboy said:

Never seen one of those in person before only in the old Briggs microfiche at work.  Its listed in the model 19 fiche as a shield assembly, spark plug part number 89742.  Probably the same for most of the 8hp and up engines from that vintage

1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

I was going to ask who manufactured the engine it came off of. 

I's been a while but I think it was a Briggs engine. Thanks for the info, Stewart. 

• Like 1

Sarge

Yep - certain old Briggs engines used those - I have only ever seen one at an engine show in one piece , great find . To think they would go to the trouble to make that from stamped tin in that detail shows the workmanship of that era - so lost on today's world of plastic and disposable junk .

Sarge

• Like 3

tunahead72
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, dclarke said:

DSC06846.JPG

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but is there something written/stamped into the top of that cover piece?

• Like 1

dclarke
7 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but is there something written/stamped into the top of that cover piece?

Ed, you've got better eyes than I do, I sure didn't see any writing until I went and looked again. It's hard to read but I think it says "Licensed under Pat. No. 2149027"  

DSC06855.JPG

• Like 1

tunahead72