Adams94

54" snow blade question

Adams94

When I angle my blade to the right the spring hits the direction control rod and it is hard to get the pin to lock into that position, pictures coming soon!  Thanks 

Adams94

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

1995 520H+96+97

On my 48" plow the rod is on the bottom, not the top as is yours.

can you flip over the quadrant?

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think the rod should be on the bottom.

• Like 2

Adams94
3 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think the rod should be on the bottom.

I had not considered that, you just may be onto something:think:

gwest_ca

The parts illustrations are usually very accurate and the rod is shown going down into the quadrant.

Garry

cschannuth

Mine is on the bottom.

30BF84D2-AB5B-4285-AAEF-1595A1C19DE4.jpeg.050d56af8a1a8a72ef5bffa45cd12292.jpeg5918CF38-4908-495F-ACB6-1CE33D562814.jpeg.0b9f405033e3bf5385c6c8dc208a3db3.jpeg

• Like 1

953 nut

Just looked, mine is also on the bottom, turn it over and have a good day.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Bought and sold 10+ plows...the rod was always on the bottom.   Does the blade "trip" OK with the double springs?

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

Adams94
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Bought and sold 10+ plows...the rod was always on the bottom.   Does the blade "trip" OK with the double springs?

Yes it will trip but is also stiff,  I bought it like it is, never would have guessed the rod was wrong but I will definitely switch it!   Thanks guys.  The parts diagram posted above does show 4 springs

1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

The parts illustrations are usually very accurate and the rod is shown going down into the quadrant.

Garry

Very true, well hmm so maybe it is correct.  I had kind of thought someone added the 2nd set of springs which caused it but the diagram show 4 springs also

Edited by Adams94
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

If you were to shove the rod the springs are mounted on to the right as far as it will go and the right springs to the right as far as they will go is there room to add a flat washer or more to the rod between the 1st right spring and the quadrant?

Might work.

Garry

• Like 1

bobert94

i have the same 54'' blade with the 4 springs these are d series blades & were used on the c-195 mine is mounted as yours is with the hole towards the top of quaderent the pivit rod should have a bend in it to clear the spring

Adams94
15 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

If you were to shove the rod the springs are mounted on to the right as far as it will go and the right springs to the right as far as they will go is there room to add a flat washer or more to the rod between the 1st right spring and the quadrant?

Might work.

Garry

That may work, I will try it tomorrow!

Just now, bobert94 said:

i have the same 54'' blade with the 4 springs these are d series blades & were used on the c-195 mine is mounted as yours is with the hole towards the top of quaderent the pivit rod should have a bend in it to clear the spring

Yes I agree that seems like it would make sense.  I hate to do that and it be wrong though, I am going to try and move the springs to the right first

bobert94

I just looked at your pictures from another post and noticed that your pivid rod is backwards the bend in the rod should be on the plow end of tractor and  yours is on the tractor end flip it and you should be ok

Adams94
20 minutes ago, bobert94 said:

I just looked at your pictures from another post and noticed that your pivid rod is backwards the bend in the rod should be on the plow end of tractor and  yours is on the tractor end flip it and you should be ok

Wow you are right, I would never have caught that.  Now I have my Sunday am project!  Thank you!  Will update when I do that!

Adams94
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

2 hours ago, bobert94 said:

It looks like in the parts diagram the rod is on just like mine 

Big_Red_Fred

Our D plow is the same, Rod on Top ? Cant provide a Pic, Farmer Alex isnt home

• Like 1

Sarge

Here's mine - had to rebuild this plow frame after someone totally destroyed it and welded a bunch of plates on there - it was a mess but I built it to match the original design as close as I could . The flat plate where the arm fits into the hole has a washer between it and the plate - not sure if the original rod had a slight bend at that end but this design works fine .

5a2d51fe79bd7_installed_91.jpg.0dc82c8780e586809a00fee8af15344e.jpg

5a2d52bd8397a_installed_81.jpg.4951f42fcabbf679a0864c3f0f62d349.jpg

Sarge

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Adams94
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Here's mine - had to rebuild this plow frame after someone totally destroyed it and welded a bunch of plates on there - it was a mess but I built it to match the original design as close as I could . The flat plate where the arm fits into the hole has a washer between it and the plate - not sure if the original rod had a slight bend at that end but this design works fine .

5a2d51fe79bd7_installed_91.jpg.0dc82c8780e586809a00fee8af15344e.jpg

5a2d52bd8397a_installed_81.jpg.4951f42fcabbf679a0864c3f0f62d349.jpg

Sarge

That looks good, I was just out messing with it as I changed the engine oil and I can get it in the right hole but sometimes it doesn't go in all the way.  I only need another 1/16 of an inch to make it work easy. Everything appears to be factory. The blade and parts are original.  Although it does not have a spring on the lock pin, I have to push it in with the handle

Sarge

The spring sits inside the sector piece and uses a cotter pin to keep it under pressure . I put bushings into the 3 sector holes for the pin to fix a lot of wear that was in it . You could put a slight bend at the point of the rod right next to where it comes close to the spring - it would change the swing slightly but give you enough room to lock in on the right angle setting . Mine is really close , but it locks fine . All the rods and the main lock pin is 304 SS rod stock - had to make all new ones for this one - they really abused it badly .

Sarge

Adams94
3 hours ago, Sarge said:

The spring sits inside the sector piece and uses a cotter pin to keep it under pressure . I put bushings into the 3 sector holes for the pin to fix a lot of wear that was in it . You could put a slight bend at the point of the rod right next to where it comes close to the spring - it would change the swing slightly but give you enough room to lock in on the right angle setting . Mine is really close , but it locks fine . All the rods and the main lock pin is 304 SS rod stock - had to make all new ones for this one - they really abused it badly .

Sarge

I probably will put a slight bend in it.