Pinball

GT 14 Plow Questions and a little help

Pinball

I bought my first Wheel Horse this past Spring ... a GT 14 but need some help with getting my snow plow on and working like it should.  I have never seen this plow on the tractor but it came with it so I am  hoping it will work...even if it needs a little loving to do so.  The numbers on the plow are 06488C01   39219.  It doesn't have the original plow on the front as someone has replaced it with a craftsman.  The plow can only be lifted about 3 inches off of the ground before the A frame hits the front end so I guess I will need to cut and reweld the mounts a little closer to the bottom of the plow.  I am missing the arm to angle the plow and was hoping I could get someone to measure theirs up for me so that I would know the measurement above and below the pivoting bolt and how much of an angle the top half has.  I am also missing the lifting arm but I guess the length of that will depend on how it all goes after I move the plow mounting points moved.  So I guess my questions are: Is this the correct plow for my tractor?  What are the lengths on the arm that angles the blade? and Could I get a couple of side pictures of a GT 14 with the plow on so I could get a better idea of how this should all hook up?

Thanks for any help,

Scott

20171208_125656.jpg

20171208_130636.jpg

20171208_134310.jpg

20171208_134353.jpg

Aldon

@wheelhorseman a vendor On the site sells the lift bars...

At least I am pretty sure he does.

Edited by Aldon

953 nut

Your best bet is to buy a proper plow to attach to your frame. I know this is not the best time to be buying one, but that is destine to fail.

5a2af395a9611_11plow.jpg.2b1ff0802c6f1cfc125f5387ca32bd91.jpg

This is what the attachment point should look like.

5a2af5457487d_snowplow004.JPG.37417034e828a05eb20f19f9dd903bb5.JPG

• Like 1

Pinball

Thanks for the picture of how it should be mounted to the original plow..that will help a lot.  Now all I need is a picture on the other side.  True the mounts are sad but that can be fixed.  When buying non working things you see a lot of screwed up stuff but that is more then half the fun :) Motorcycles, Pinball machines, Tractors...there are a LOT of POs that should never put a wrench to anything.  Like I said I will cut those mounts off and weld some better ones on at the bottom of the plow.  I am sure I will have to make a custom lift bar as well to fit this Frankenstein-Plow...but once again...half the fun is getting it to work.  I have another tractor to plow with until this one is ready.  I only had to plow once here last year...kind of sad.

Thanks again for the picture.

Scott

20170724_202259.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:           That is a great looking GT-14. Great wheel weights too, there are also weights that bolt to the hub that weigh about 80 pounds per wheel and if you load those big rear tires with RV antifreeze you will be looking at another 75 pounds each.

Mine has a loader and needs all the rear weight I can get.

refracman

Nice looking GT you have there

Bad news is not only is the plow blade wrong but the plow frame is for a C/300/400 series tractor.

the correct frame is similar the D/ C195 series tractors, its longer and wider. Finding the correct plow will not be easy.

Now not to say that frame won't work but you will only be able to use the 42" wide plow blade and it will still hit the tires when angling the blade and be skinnier the the width of the tractor when angled, unless you put the 520 extension kit on it and the angle handle still wont be right.

I used a C/300/400 series plow on mine while it worked great when straight, it was a pain when angling/ angled.

Pinball

A loader is on my wish list :) I am not sure what the weights came off of but for $25 I was willing to take a chance that they would fit.  I had to drill some holes in the wheels but it was well worth it.  They weigh 65 pounds each. Here is my little homemade digger ... a loader would make moving dirt a lot easier, but it is one of those things I can't see me buying unless I found a great deal...I am very cheap :)

20170703_092259.jpg

Looks like it is time to get the band saw and welder out tomorrow and see if I will be able to mock something up.

Thanks for all the help,

Scott

• Like 3

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Pinball said:

my little homemade digger

You built that, my hat is off to you.         :bow-blue:

• Like 3

KC9KAS

@Pinball Very nice looking GT-14.

I have a GT-14and have plowed snow several years with it.

I actually added 6" to each side of a 42" plow to make a 54" wide snow plow!

I too have a problem with the plow frame hitting the front axle (and steering components) and only raising about 3" or so off the ground.

My rockshaft actually broke a couple of years ago because I was trying to make sure the plow was raised completely each time I raised it. The stress eventually caused the rockshaft to break!

• Like 1

Pinball

Thanks 953.  I have the teeth off of it in the picture as I was digging my creek out and wanted in smooth.  I think if I lower the mounting point it will help some. I hope to know more tomorrow after I cut the mounts off.

• Like 1

Pinball

Well I just got my  Frankenstein-Plow done today.  I did have to cut the mounts off of the old plow and weld some new ones on lower like they should have been.  I reinforced the front quite a bit and made a new arm , lever and push rod to angle the plow.  I took it for a test drive and pushed the snow piles back to give it a little run and things now work as they should.  I will give everything a good coat of paint in the summer but for now a spraying with a can should help keep things form rusting this winter.

This thing sure seems like a tank but we will see when the snow flies.  I also added a set of semi chains that I cut down to help with traction.  I do have 2 questions...

Where do you keep your throttle when plowing?  This thing seems like it would plow at idle but I was thinking about half throttle.

My throttle will not stay where I put it...is there a way to lock it in to a position?

Thanks for all the help,

now bring on the snow :)

20180107_141807.jpg

20180107_141822.jpg

20180107_141830.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
21 minutes ago, Pinball said:

I just got my  Frankenstein-Plow done today.

That should work well.              :text-coolphotos:

22 minutes ago, Pinball said:

Where do you keep your throttle when plowing?  This thing seems like it would plow at idle but I was thinking about half throttle.

My throttle will not stay where I put it...is there a way to lock it in to a position?

For proper cooling of the engine and hydro you should operate at near full throttle, but in the winter it probably isn't a problem. Turning the knob to the right (clockwise) should lock it but after a while they slip a little. an old spring loaded clothes pin can be used as a spacer to hold it.

• Like 1

Pinball

Thanks 953.  I have tried turning the knob but it doesn't seem to work with mine.  The idea with the clothes pin sounds like a winner to me.  I will make sure I keep it throttled up.

Thanks again

• Like 1

wallfish
3 hours ago, Pinball said:

My throttle will not stay where I put it...is there a way to lock it in to a position

Those push/pull throttles should be a twist lock but it sounds like yours is not. You can cut the Z bend off and pull the wire out of the conduit, bend the wire some and replace it. The idea is to create enough friction to hold it. Best not to bend the wire too much and test it each time until you feel confident it will work, then re-insall. Of coarse the clothes pin is quicker and easier.

If you can build that hoe you can build the FEL too. PF Engineering.com sells some pretty good plans but here's a link to some free basic FEL plans.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/25-loader-fel-plans-part1-2/

• Like 2

Pinball

We had around 6 inches with high winds Friday night into Saturday so before heading into work I gave the GT 14 a good workout.  Wow with the throttle up this thing is a real tank!  I will give her a good once over today to make sure everything held up.  

Once again thanks for all of the help,

PS...I posted the Ranch King on CL Wednesday and sold it on Thursday...it had been a nice tractor but was no longer needed (:

20180113_073303.jpg

• Like 1