Chris G

K-91 T exhaust Help

Chris G

i have 2 K-91T engines. One is on a suburban and the other will be on a Panzer once i get this figured out. The engines both came with a pancake style muffler which slid over the studs and then tightened up with 2 bolts. I would like two tap the exhaust port. Because i have tried two different ways of building a manifold that i can adapt the regular black steel pipe to. And in both case they do no secure down tight enough. One manifold i used the studs to secure it and the other i removed the studs and secured the manifold by using a allen head bolt to screw in to the block. I was not very pleased with both of them. So with that being said i would like to tap the block for a standard pipe thread for 3/4 black steel pipe. so any input on a good tap to use or any  tips on the best way to do so would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time

Achto

Chris, I believe that a 1/2" NPT pipe tap will work on those with out machining the exhaust hole larger. Then you can use a 1/2 to 3/4 bell fitting to go to 3/4" pipe. The smaller 1/2" pipe at the start will not effect the performance of the engine.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:  That's what I did to mine. I started with a taper tap (left) and followed up with a bottom tap (right) which may not have been needed. I did it for my Suburban and just ran the correct length 1/2" nipple to a 1/2"x3/4" 90° fitting to turn the pipe forward. Worked great. Make sure you control the shavings. I stuffed an oily rag in the hole first. :)

Taps .JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Chris G

Excellent guys. I figured I would have to go 1/2 to 3/4 probably should have mentioned that. But anyways thanks you guys and I will let ya know how I make out.

• Like 4

WHX??
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

control the shavings. I stuffed an oily rag in the hole first.

:text-yeahthat:Make sure exhaust valve is shut and a blast of air to clean out. A 1/2" conduit ring can be used to lock down the nipple if required.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

The process looks like...

see post #387 here.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2