Dirk from Germany

Clutch repair on 312-8

Dirk from Germany

I have a 312-8 and when I try to accelerate it goes very slow and the engine is running fine

i assume it’s a problem with the clutch

any instruction how to check and repair a clutch

thanks

dirk 

Achto

:WRS: The clutch on your tractor is a pulley with spring tension against the belt . When you step on the clutch it pulls the pulley away from the belt. Check your drive belt for wear, check your tension spring, and also check you engine and transmission pulley set screws & keys. My first guess though would be that your drive belt is wore / stretched and needs replacing.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:

Depending on what year your tractor is you likely have some sort of damper on the idler arm. It could be a strut that pushes it to engage and doesn't utilize a spring or a damper with the spring that slows the engagement. Aside from being annoying these things can cause issues. You can remove them and just use the spring like they've done for decades. If you have the strut that pushes the arm you can remove that and install a spring on the left side. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

953 nut

:WRS:            You came to the right place. If you need to replace the drive belt be sure to get one with a fabric cover.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

If you can post the tractor model number and serial number off the data decal on the rear fender pan it would help.

There was a dampener installed on some models to prevent the pedal/clutch from engaging too fast. The dampener design was changed a few times so the tractor numbers should identify which dampener you have if you have one at all. They are treated differently depending on which one you have.

The dampener can fail and not allow the belt tension to be fully applied.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Guten Tag Dirk and :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

All good advice above.  One other possibility is the lever on the left side of the clutch  cross shaft.  It is fastened to the cross shaft with a 1/8" roll pin that may have sheared allowing it to slip on the shaft.  To be able to check it, you must remove the left side panel.  Then scribe a line across the end of the shaft and the lever.  Then operate the clutch pedal and note if the lines move.

• Like 6

JC 1965

:WRS: