mikeeyre74

8 speed in an older tractor?

mikeeyre74

Is there any reason why you couldn’t put an eight speed with a high/low selector in an old tractor, like a 1257 or somesuch? 

JPWH

I have one in an 854.

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

Do you have a picture of how the levers lineup after install so I could see how that is and wrap my head around it? 

JPWH

I can get you some when I get home this evening.

mikeeyre74

Thanks!

ol550

Not a big deal, I've got on in a Lawn Ranger.

• Like 2

JPWH

KIMG1127.jpg.eec4f6541987531314d6be15b1646d97.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

I put one in a 953 several years ago, of course the rear axles are different on them so I had to open it up and do a swap. Also had to use the shifter from the 953.

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

Hmm.  What’s different about the rear axles? 

953 nut
8 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Hmm.  What’s different about the rear axles? 

The rear axles on the 953, 1054 and GT-14 are considerably longer than others.

mikeeyre74

Ohhhh. Yes, those are those weird looking ones. Didn’t realize that till I googled the image up... I love me some Wheel Horse, but only a mother could love those weird beasts. ;)

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Ohhhh. Yes, those are those weird looking ones. Didn’t realize that till I googled the image up... I love me some Wheel Horse, but only a mother could love those weird beasts. ;)

Image result for them's fightin words

There are a lot of us who would respectfully disagree with that opinion, You have a right to express your opinion on this site, but be prepared to suffer the consequences!      :ychain:

Image result for lynch mob

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

mikeeyre74

;-D it’s all good. I  originally thought the same about all of the round hood models as well… That they were just wacky little things, and who would possibly want one? Well, I’m on my second one now and I’m quite fond of it.  They took a little getting used to for me, and perhaps these odd looking ones may also someday. 

Just not today. 😝

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

I think that part of the 953 1054 GT 14 attraction is not there different they standout from the rest of the herd

Boy have we gotten off the original topic

953 nut
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I think that part of the 953 1054 GT 14 attraction is not there different they standout from the rest of the herd

Boy have we gotten off the original topic

They stand out even more with an 8 Speed, there, we are back on topic!             :woohoo:

squonk
On 12/7/2017 at 1:51 PM, mikeeyre74 said:

Is there any reason why you couldn’t put an eight speed with a high/low selector in an old tractor, like a 1257 or somesuch? 

A 1257 is basically the same tractor as a 1267 but with the 4 spd instead of the 8 (6) speed.

sqonk_1_001.thumb.JPG.058d9918de25be3dca593800a3f69245.jpg.53b6ee7658f3b6a3e12962c8b2027b6c.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Isn't the mounting bolt pattern on the bevel gear horses a little different then the regular 4/6 and 8 speed transmissions.???  :think:  Not a big deal, just have to mess with the mounting plate.  :)

• Thanks 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Isn't the mounting bolt pattern on the bevel gear horses a little different then the regular 4/6 and 8 speed transmissions.???  :think:  Not a big deal, just have to mess with the mounting plate.  :)

For the 953 I had to drill and tap one hole in the trans case and elongate one in the mounting plate. Like you said, no big deal.

• Like 1