pfrederi

Another Bolt removal issue

pfrederi

Awhile back I asked about removing broken bolts from aluminum head and Engine blocks.  Now I have an additional issue.  I need to remove the plastic fan on a Magnum18.  it is held on by 4 1/4" Washer head bolts that go into the cast Iron Flywheel..  I broke the first one.  I have been soaking the others with PB Blaster, Kroil and In-force.  The heads are pulled very tightly into the plastic of the fan making a very good seal as none of various juices have had any affect after a day and a half.  Heat/welding is obviously out.  Any other ideas or just go ahead and break them all off then use heat and other reliable methods to remove the remains.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Sad 1

doc724

I have the same problem on one of my K-series except that it has a metal fan screen.  I have resigned myself to grinding off the screw heads and then drill and retap. :-(

oldredrider

I've had some luck using a steel shank Phillips head screw driver. Set it squarely into the screw and give it a good whack with a heavy hammer. The shock will usually release it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

pfrederi

Unfortunately the are hex head bolt (with built in washer).  ..No slots and it is only a 3/8" head so after cutting a slot I doubt it would hold up to and impact drive.

• Sad 1

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:             I would center punch the center of each head and use a left hand 3/16" drill bit. If the heat of the drill bit heats it enough it may back out, if not you are going to have to go up to a 13/64" bit and tap it to 1/4-20. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Thanks guys...patience was never my middle name.  Final score two broken off two came out. Tapping on a wrench with a hammer worked in two, Broke the third.  As i suspected the plastic fan made an effective seal.  the two that came out were bone dry in-spite of 18 hours of soaking....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

squonk

I would have tried one of these hand impact tools with a 3/8 socket. But it sounds like they would have broken anyway.

download.jpg.a36ea2290471561913ca5796019febfc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I would have tried one of these hand impact tools with a 3/8 socket. But it sounds like they would have broken anyway.

download.jpg.a36ea2290471561913ca5796019febfc.jpg

This is what I was going to suggest!

I have one that I used back in the early 70's on my 1967 Honda 305 Dream!. Wish I still had that motorcycle!

• Like 2

JoeM

I have take those kind of bolts out with a open end wrench, punch, hammer and a friend.

Put the box end of the wrench on the bolt, apply pressure and have someone take the punch through the center of the wrench and shock the head of the bolt.

The closer the punch fitting though the wrench the better the shock.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

I know you are done now, but if you didn't need to save the fan, you could have cut the fan off to get access to the bolts. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

ohiofarmer
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Thanks guys...patience was never my middle name.  Final score two broken off two came out. Tapping on a wrench with a hammer worked in two, Broke the third.  As i suspected the plastic fan made an effective seal.  the two that came out were bone dry in-spite of 18 hours of soaking....

"patience is not my middle name"

Well, maybe it should be....image.png.644bbd745a76240578b519751d60cded.png

Ok, so if this is the bolt you have to take out, then you are saying that the flange head seals against the plastic. Just take a tiny drill bit maybe about the size of the little red straw on your penetrating oil and drill a hole off center so it comes through the head about where the threads are on the outside of the tapped hole in the cast iron. i would bet that you will feel it when the bit breaks through the flange and bites through the plastic. That is where you stop drilling and now your penetrant will get at those threads

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/freeze-off-3327/chemicals---fluids-16461/grease---lube-16582/penetrating---fogging-oil-19005/super-penetrant/05002/4176059/2004/pontiac/grand-prix#availabilityTab_

I like this stuff ^^^ the best for loosening different metals joined together. It sure works well for steel screws in aluminum motorcycle blocks. i just succeded in taking out some Plillips screws 2" long that thread into the block of a motorcycle. Anyway, once you have that hole drilled, put that little red hose thingy in the hole you drilled and squirt a dab in there. Wait a day. Re-apply once a day or twice a day. Wait. You can also put a socket on the bolt and hit it square on the end each time you apply the Freeze-Off. wait another day. Do this for a WEEK. Finding a flat center punch and whacking on the end of the bolt will also help the penetrant go deeper into the threads. This little impact gun would have plenty of power to loosen your bolt at 1300 inch pounds. The impact action is like magic on stubborn fasteners. 1300 inch pounds might even be enough to twist off the bolt, so just give it a little burst  or don't pull the trigger all the way to limit the power. My impact gun is only 500 inch pounds or so, and it is perfect for a quarter inch bolt . Just keep at this and be calm and patient and finally the bolt will loosen up. 

I once got a kid started on repairing old motorcycles and he took my advice about applying the Freeze-off. i went down to his shop a week later and smacked the case screws a lick on the ends, and even the ones with half buggered heads came right out. Now when he buys an old barn find, as a matter of course, be gets out the freeze-off and hits every fastener he can get to with a dab of the stuff and occasionally does them againimage.png.e2213aa8e9c9431e840d7adfce2789fd.png

Here is the beast that I got removed yesterday using these methods. Not one screw could be gotten at squarely, but they all came out.Just look at how deep the penetrant had to crawl down those screw threads.

image.png.4921728645890a9dd71fb23ec2177829.png

image.png

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Excellent 1

ti-jean

Best way to remove a broken bolt take a Tig and weld a flat washer on top and then weld a nut to it with the heat of the weld you broken bolt will come out easy not for this case but other  way nut loll in french , pourquoi des noix :)