slim67

national reciprocity passes house !

slim67

The House of Represenatives represented today and passed the national reciprocity. Now it will move to the Senate. If it passes , it will make concealed carry from state to state easier. I am for it as a gun owner but how do you all feel? Just opinions on the gun side of it please.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Jerry77

I sure hope the Senate passes it...nothing like being made out as a criminal just because you cross a state line -- this is the UNITED  states for crying out loud...

• Like 6

WHX??

Thanks for the heads up Slim but I will obstain with comment due to my steadfast rule that religious and political disscussions are taboo here on RS. I  could see this thread going the latter. Please be carefull.

Signed 

A second ammendment advocate and concealed carry permit holder.

• Like 6

SPINJIM

It's so obvious that it should pass  and become law.   I have a carry permit for Pennsylvania, and it's honored in Virginia, but I'm a criminal as I drive through Maryland.   A friend who is a Maryland state cop says they use discretion in enforcing that law.   If you're not breaking some other Maryland law, they probably won't cite you for having a gun as you drive through (unless they're having a bad day otherwise, or just had an argument with their wife).    And New Jersey probably wouldn't be tolerant at all, and New Jersey is a place I would really want to have self defense with me.   Has nothing to do with politics, just common sense

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

I believe as long as you are legally able to buy a side arm in any state (not talking about walking around with a semi-auto rifle shouldered), you should be allowed to carry and display that weapon openly on your person legally, with documentation.

It would stop a lot of this wacko assault behavior and terrorism currently going on in the USA.

A lot of "bad guys" would run up against a greater number of "good guys" willing to stop their criminal behavior.

My avatar should tell you clearly where I stand.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

Most states (not all) already "honor" your permit if you are not causing issues....and then there is Illinois....You aren't even supposed to drive through Illinois with a handgun!

I have the "non-resident" Utah permit that has reciprocity with a few more states that what my Indiana permit covers.

• Like 4

953 nut

I don't own a gun, but if the Federal government is going to make it reciprocal from state to state they also need to be sure all state's laws are standard so there won't be confusion. Minor differences would make for some confusion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

slim67
25 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Thanks for the heads up Slim but I will obstain with comment due to my steadfast rule that religious and political disscussions are taboo here on RS. I  could see this thread going the latter. Please be carefull.

Signed 

I hear you and I do not want to inject any politics into this as it is not tolerated the on gun forums either . That being said I usually go out of state every year for vacation somewhere and think this will make life easier for us CCW people. Thanks to all for keeping it on track.

2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I don't own a gun, but if the Federal government is going to make it reciprocal from state to state they also need to be sure all state's laws are standard so there won't be confusion. Minor differences would make for some confusion.

Thats the reason they are doing this because the confusion you are referring to has happened to some people already. I have on Ohio permit which had some reciprocity with certain states, then got a Pennsylvania permit which allowed me to carry in states that didnt honor Ohios. I was going to get a Florida permit at one time to. My PA permit was not renewable by mail any longer  but PA and Ohio ended up reciprocating anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Racinbob
53 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

Signed 

Well said and I agree. I'd suggest that you all that are interested to bookmark this site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Very up to date and makes it as easy as possible. I can sure see a bunch of activity on it after this announcement. :)

• Like 3

Cvans

Being a CC card holder I'm all for the passing of this bill. I believe in following the laws and this would make it a lot easier to do so. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia have "Permitless Carry." Anyone who can legally possess a firearm may carry it concealed in those states without a Permit/License.

These states allready have it correct.

If we have passed the required background checks and completed the applications  required to legally own a firearm, what is the purpose of taking another test to secure a permit to carry the weapon. 

The Pa. CC permits are now issued by local sheriffs depts.  Will this new permit be issued by the federal government in addition to the existing permit.

Signed by another Pa. CC permit holder that commits a felony every week  traveling thru Md. and Del.  to my summer home.

• Like 4

roadapples

It's about time....

• Like 2

Cvans
16 minutes ago, roadapples said:

It's about time....

Thanks for going into such detail about your feelings. I love it! :text-bravo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

roadapples
5 minutes ago, Cvans said:

Thanks for going into such detail about your feelings. I love it! :text-bravo:

'nuff said.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

slim67
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Vermont and West Virginia have "Permitless Carry." Anyone who can legally possess a firearm may carry it concealed in those states without a Permit/License.

These states allready have it correct.

If we have passed the required background checks and completed the applications  required to legally own a firearm, what is the purpose of taking another test to secure a permit to carry the weapon. 

The Pa. CC permits are now issued by local sheriffs depts.  Will this new permit be issued by the federal government in addition to the existing permit.

Signed by another Pa. CC permit holder that commits a felony every week  traveling thru Md. and Del.  to my summer home.

I don't think it means another permit but that it eliminates any differences between states. 

• Like 3

BaySide1

it's about time. I do a lot of driving for my job (self employed field service technician)

I live in Central Massachusetts. In one day, I could easily be in Three States. Example, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut or Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire or Massachusetts , New Hampshire and Maine.

It is frustrating how the current laws work to say the least.

Edited by BaySide1
typo
  • Like 4

ohiofarmer

I attend a tiny church in Ohio, about the same size as the little Texas church we all know about. Ohio only permits carry in churches at the say so of church council, I guess. If you do happen to carry into our little church you would be guilty of only a misdemeanor --. same penalty as if you fail to inform a LEO of your CCW at a traffic stop. A few years ago, you would lose your license for that.

Sometimes it might be better to ask forgiveness than permission.   Maybe some one will find a good solution to resolve any differences of opinion the congregants will have, and avoid all the drama.

There was a recent article in our local paper and some churches made no bones about the fact that they have carry guys in the congregation who have training that exceeds the state requirements. if you were the bad guy wanting to shoot the place up, it would be very difficult to perform the task and at the same time neutralize the security guys by picking them out of the group, i would think.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I look at it this way -

If we are truly a "United States" then these types of laws have to be from the Federal level to prevent whimsical changes by individual states and the confusion that can result . Our current system doesn't work - too many rules in too many directions depending upon State borders and that clearly doesn't work . I don't like back round checks per say - but I do agree that some individuals should not be allowed to carry firearms - that is clear with many recent events . If we are to stop the division in this country we need to figure out how to get along despite political differences - and stop driving this wedge in our population that is driven by politicians seeking office and using that against their opponents . We're all in this together - and we should act like it for once . I am not proud of the current attitude in our country nor how people are treating each other with so much disrespect - it helps no one in the end and accomplishes nothing other than more division . We are not paying attention to the lessons of History , instead just repeating the same mistakes over and over again .

It is far past time to move on and stop letting our bias to be used against us - we are all in this together and we will fail or succeed together . It really is that simple , but why is it allowed to be so hard ?

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

slim67
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I look at it this way -

If we are truly a "United States" then these types of laws have to be from the Federal level to prevent whimsical changes by individual states and the confusion that can result . Our current system doesn't work - too many rules in too many directions depending upon State borders and that clearly doesn't work . I don't like back round checks per say - but I do agree that some individuals should not be allowed to carry firearms - that is clear with many recent events . If we are to stop the division in this country we need to figure out how to get along despite political differences - and stop driving this wedge in our population that is driven by politicians seeking office and using that against their opponents . We're all in this together - and we should act like it for once . I am not proud of the current attitude in our country nor how people are treating each other with so much disrespect - it helps no one in the end and accomplishes nothing other than more division . We are not paying attention to the lessons of History , instead just repeating the same mistakes over and over again .

It is far past time to move on and stop letting our bias to be used against us - we are all in this together and we will fail or succeed together . It really is that simple , but why is it allowed to be so hard ?

Sarge

Unfortunately Sarge that's what the politicians do. One side is all for the 2nd amendment and the other is against it. I think it's a birds of a feather flock together kind of thing as far as constituents go. 

• Like 2

Cvans

Just think of all the people who are being maimed or worse with vehicles everyday.  How would you feel if you had to have a different drivers license for each state you drove in. :(

• Like 5