ronhatch

DOUBLE PULLEY DECK QUESTION

ronhatch

For one of my winter projects, I would like to increase the blade speed of my (1967?) 42" SD deck by replacing the middle double pulley with a double pulley from a 36" deck.  Are they interchangeable as long as they both have the double 'D' bore? Has anyone tried this before? If so, what were the results?            Thanks, Ron

953 nut

Believe it or not the pulley size was not randomly selected, there was actually a great deal of engineering that went into it. There are two things that will improve the performance of your mower deck. Sharp blades and mowing frequently will improve the results.

• Like 1

WHX??

I am thinking why Ron? What's your thoughts behind making them go faster? Not sure the speed that blades are supposed to run but @gwest_ca does. So many feet per second measured at the blade tips with engine at 3600 rpm.  

• Like 1

ronhatch

Please read my post from September of this year titled "IMPROVING MY 42" SD DECK" to see what successful modifications I already made on my deck.. My final step is to increase the RPM of the blades for more vacuum to lift the grass, cut it cleanly and discharge it in a large fan like pattern, (i.e. think modern deck design).  The engineering for my 50 year old may have been fine in 1967, but there has been many improvements in deck design since, so why not mimic that and bring our old decks up to modern standards and performance without buying a new crappy lawn tractor from a big box store?:twocents-02cents:  Even Henry Ford made improvements to his beloved Model T over its19 year run.   All I want is the best of both worlds.    

Are there any answers to my pulley interchangeability question?    Thanks,  Ron

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 1