Big_Red_Fred

Building a FEL if Possible

Big_Red_Fred

Did anyone try Building a FEL out of thick gauge Aluminum ? Would it work ? Other then the Bucket of course ;-) I know  ! Its BRF again Jim & Richard hahaha

• Confused 1

Skipper

Not having investigated, I would say no off the top of my head. I do not think there would be any sense in it. Yes It could be done, and you could make it strong enough, but it would take some intricate construction. Probably cast parts to get the stiffness needed. Then you would have to consider the brittle factor of cast aluminum, and it would be a nightmare. In short, it will either be to soft and bend, or too brittle and crack. Unless you over dimension it a LOT, and then the idea kind of negates it self. 

Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Fred , if the sun shines on your Aluminum , you will have a lot of glare and you would bend your bucket when you run into one of those Peterbilts.

• Haha 4

953 nut

Aluminum is a good conductor of electricity so your lights would shine brightly, however that is the only bright prospect I see for this build!     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Big_Red_Fred

Plus my Eye's aint so dam good anymore LOL, i'll be wearing them Glasses like that Trooper on F Troop that fires the Cannon wrong way !

• Haha 1

ol550

Kind of sounds like the Ford pickup bashing commercials. Of course it would work or I would never get in an airplane again.

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Aluminum is a good conductor of electricity so your lights would shine brightly, however that is the only bright prospect I see for this build!     

Just a Crazy Thought my Friend LOL, Stainless hahaha, Back to the Future in a Wheel Horse ?

• Like 2

953 nut
45 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Just a Crazy Thought my Friend LOL, Stainless hahaha, Back to the Future in a Wheel Horse ?

Don't forget to install the Flux Capacitor!    :ychain:

Image result for back to the future flux capacitor

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Just search O'Reilly Auto Parts...part # 121G

121g.jpg.7aa219eef57e8453153f2062f23d6da0.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Big_Red_Fred
29 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

E Bay hahaha, sold in Lebanon

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

don't know why it wouldn't work. just use billit aluminium. you can even have some pockets machined in it:lol:

• Haha 1

Skipper
20 hours ago, ol550 said:

Kind of sounds like the Ford pickup bashing commercials. Of course it would work or I would never get in an airplane again.

Do not think anyone said it would not be possible. Anything can be done with enough money. And cost and difficulty is exactly what sinks this idea. To have solid bars machined into components or have them cast, or extruded, is really expensive. Then comes the difficult parts of having bushing steel attached to the Alu in all the joints etc.etc.etc.

Possible?  yes sure!  More difficult than using steel? Yes sure! More costly? Yes for really much sure!

I would guess that is why none of the big companies do it.  :-)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Do not think anyone said it would not be possible. Anything can be done with enough money. And cost and difficulty is exactly what sinks this idea. To have solid bars machined into components or have them cast, or extruded, is really expensive. Then comes the difficult parts of having bushing steel attached to the Alu in all the joints etc.etc.etc.

Possible?  yes sure!  More difficult than using steel? Yes sure! More costly? Yes for really much sure!

I would guess that is why none of the big companies do it.  :-)

I agree. The only advantage I see would be rust, but aluminum does corrode, it just corrodes into a fine white powder, so I'm not sure how much of an advantage it would be. 

It would be more expensive, and compared to steel, getting the same strength would probably require so much aluminum as to negate a weight advantage. 

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

You all remember BRF snacked on lead paint chips when he was in diapers so his brain waves are scattered or just not these some days.  :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Big_Red_Fred
29 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You all remember BRF snacked on lead paint chips when he was in diapers so his brain waves are scattered or just not these some days.  :ROTF:

And Vagisill for diaper Rash too

• Haha 3

Pullstart
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:34 PM, AMC RULES said:

I actually was skeptical, but that's awesome!  https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor  Too bad they quit selling them...

• Like 1