TDF5G

FIRST TIME DECK REBUILD QUESTION

TDF5G

First time I've disassembled spindles. It's a 42" SD 95-42MS01-29657. This deck appears to have 3 different spindles.   The outer ones are larger diameter but have different shafts.  I'm relatively sure the PO changed out some of the spindles.  I've got bearings but last night I discovered I need one housing that is worn down (on the bottom blade end) so far that the snap ring groove is gone.  Please see pics.  The second pic is the 3 spindles disassembled.  The smaller shaft spindle being the center box of parts.

I'm going to post a wanted ad for a spindle housing, but my question is what info do I need to get the same one? 

I know there are many different spindles.  I have printed out the Spindle ID Chart from the manual section and it's a little confusing.  I need to take more time to study it.  

Thanks, Todd

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

If I am looking at the right IPL TDF all three should be the same. The entire assembly should be a 110172 superseded by 111726. I know parts tree has them but I'm afraid to look at the price.

See if this fits the bill https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Toro-111726-SPINDLE-42-48MW/dp/B003X9T2AO but double check me on the right P/N. I might be looking at the wrong IPL. Something doesn't look quite right with the shaft on the left either.

Edited by WHX12
  • Thanks 1

TDF5G
On 12/1/2017 at 2:25 PM, WHX12 said:

If I am looking at the right IPL TDF all three should be the same. The entire assembly should be a 110172 superseded by 111726. I know parts tree has them but I'm afraid to look at the price.

See if this fits the bill https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Toro-111726-SPINDLE-42-48MW/dp/B003X9T2AO but double check me on the right P/N. I might be looking at the wrong IPL. Something doesn't look quite right with the shaft on the left either.

That's looks like one that would work.  Thank you. 

I'm sure these spindles were changed by PO at some point. One outer pulley was on upside down. The parts manual shows all 3 to be the same as you mention, part no. 107405. 

My center spindle is a smaller diameter than the outers. The outers have different hexes on the shafts.  The outers have seals in the top but the center does not.  

I've studied the ID chart some more and it seems that the large hex spindle type was replaced by a smaller hex type over the years.  It shows spindle assembly part no. 110982 for the center and 110983 for the left/right for replacements.  Looks like they are still available for a small fortune. :o

I'm getting more familiar with what parts I have.  It doesn't matter if all 3 spindles match, I just want to get it going with what I have at minimal cost.  It's a good, solid deck.  I've located bearings and seals.  At this point I just need 1 housing, part no. 106063, and I think I'll be good to go.  

Edited by TDF5G

jellyghost

How did you find the right type of ball bearings?  I would like to replace mine, but I haven't been confident enough to order.

My Deck is a 48 inch from 1978.

Digger 66
18 hours ago, TDF5G said:

First time I've disassembled spindles. It's a 42" SD 95-42MS01-29657. This deck appears to have 3 different spindles.   The outer ones are larger diameter but have different shafts.  I'm relatively sure the PO changed out some of the spindles.  I've got bearings but last night I discovered I need one housing that is worn down (on the bottom blade end) so far that the snap ring groove is gone.  Please see pics.  The second pic is the 3 spindles disassembled.  The smaller shaft spindle being the center box of parts.

I'm going to post a wanted ad for a spindle housing, but my question is what info do I need to get the same one? 

I know there are many different spindles.  I have printed out the Spindle ID Chart from the manual section and it's a little confusing.  I need to take more time to study it.  

Thanks, Todd

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

ORGANIZATION IS AWESOME !!!! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

The snap ring groove missing on the housing was broken off changing the bearings at some point. I've done the same changing bearings. 

The middle spindle is a metric spindle the bearings are 6203 2RS (the 2RS is the shielding on the bearing this will be different with different manufacturers. The bearing dimensions are 40mm OD, 17mm ID, and 12mm thick.

The outer spindles use the same housing with 6203 2RS 12 bearings it is 3/4" ID.

The bearing numbers shown are with shields on both sides they are easily removed if you want to remove the inside shield to grease.

The center bearing being all most impossible to grease with the deck on a lot of us just leave both shields on those bearings.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TDF5G
On 12/2/2017 at 8:05 AM, Lee1977 said:

The snap ring groove missing on the housing was broken off changing the bearings at some point. I've done the same changing bearings. 

The middle spindle is a metric spindle the bearings are 6203 2RS (the 2RS is the shielding on the bearing this will be different with different manufacturers. The bearing dimensions are 40mm OD, 17mm ID, and 12mm thick.

The outer spindles use the same housing with 6203 2RS 12 bearings it is 3/4" ID.

The bearing numbers shown are with shields on both sides they are easily removed if you want to remove the inside shield to grease.

The center bearing being all most impossible to grease with the deck on a lot of us just leave both shields on those bearings.

I've done a bit more research and study.  You are absolutely correct on the 6203 bearings.  I found a part number on those and found some on ebay.  Notice in the pic 2 new bearings in a plastic bag, those are new 6203 metrics.  Thank you.

As to the worn down spindle housing: I found the snap ring down in the lower cup part that goes at the bottom of the shaft.  The lower bearing just fell out when I pushed the shaft out through the housing.  There was also about a 10 gauge piece of wire wrapped around there about 2 times around, among all the grease, grass and debris.  So I'm thinking this spindle was not assembled correctly by PO at some point.  

Edited by TDF5G
  • Thanks 1

TDF5G
On 12/1/2017 at 11:49 PM, jellyghost said:

How did you find the right type of ball bearings?  I would like to replace mine, but I haven't been confident enough to order.

My Deck is a 48 inch from 1978.

Lots of study and research.  I got the bearings removed and looked up the part numbers in the deck parts manual and went from there.  I found a Stens replacement number on RCPW and tracked down some on ebay.  I have a digital caliper to measure the thickness, I.D. and O.D. to verify what I'm ordering. I shop around to find the best deals.  I ordered some of the larger shaft bearings from Walmart.com too.   I also got info from past threads here on RS.  The Spindle ID chart is very helpful also, found in the manuals section, once I figured out how to understand it.

I've done my homework on this one.  It's been fun, interesting and educational working on something new to me.  I'm enjoying it.  I'm pretty much learning as I go here. 

I did get one incorrect piece of info from and old thread though.  The Harbor Freight pulley remover tool would not work on these pulleys.  I found this out after purchasing one and then returning it.  The groove on the pulley shaft is too far down on the shaft for the tool to reach.  I removed the pulleys with a bearing separator I got from HF and it worked very well.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:48 AM, Digger 66 said:

ORGANIZATION IS AWESOME !!!! 

It's the only way I can keep track of stuff.  I had to keep the parts separate after I realized the spindles were not all the same. This is a side project I've been working on for about a week and a half now, a little at a time.  I work full time and play music on the side so I don't get as much :wh: time as I like to!  It's an extra deck I'm going to keep for backup and mowing leaves in the fall.  I mow regularly with a RD.  I like the SD deck to blow leaves in rows and then mulch with the SD deck. :)

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

That's what I do. I use the rubber sealed ones like these and buy in quantity for the shelf. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-10-6203-2RS-rubber-seal-bearing-6203-rs-ball-bearings-6203rs-ABEC1-C3-/112504556775?hash=item1a31cb4ce7  I seem to go through a few of theses bearings but I do wash my decks a lot. I Also put a 90 deg zerk fitting on the center one to make it a little easier to get at.

Good Luck on the refresh Todd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TDF5G
On 12/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, WHX12 said:

That's what I do. I use the rubber sealed ones like these and buy in quantity for the shelf. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-10-6203-2RS-rubber-seal-bearing-6203-rs-ball-bearings-6203rs-ABEC1-C3-/112504556775?hash=item1a31cb4ce7  I seem to go through a few of theses bearings but I do wash my decks a lot. I Also put a 90 deg zerk fitting on the center one to make it a little easier to get at.

Good Luck on the refresh Todd

That's what I plan to do. I saw a video on youtube that showed how those bearings that are sealed on both sides don't have much grease in them when new anyway.

The 90 degree zerk is a good idea. Thank you

I just found a used housing on ebay.  I should be good to go now, just waiting for parts to arrive.

• Like 1

doc724
On 12/2/2017 at 6:48 AM, Digger 66 said:

For the spindle housing that is worn down, someone forgot to put the spacer between the lower bearing inner race and the dust cap.  You can assemble it this way but over time, the steel cup will wear the soft magnesium die casting and then the hole assembly will be loose.  I had one exactly the same way.  The spacer is about 5/16 inch high.  Check your "boxes" I think the spacer is there in all three but on the right box, the spacer may have been assembled between the hex on the shaft and the steel cup.

I also use only double sealed bearings and get rid of the zerk.  Too easy to over fill with grease and then the outer seal will pop off

• Like 2

TDF5G
1 hour ago, doc724 said:

For the spindle housing that is worn down, someone forgot to put the spacer between the lower bearing inner race and the dust cap.  You can assemble it this way but over time, the steel cup will wear the soft magnesium die casting and then the hole assembly will be loose.  I had one exactly the same way.  The spacer is about 5/16 inch high.  Check your "boxes" I think the spacer is there in all three but on the right box, the spacer may have been assembled between the hex on the shaft and the steel cup.

That is exactly what I suspected.  The spacer is there.  I don't know exactly how it was assembled though, but the bearing, spacer, snap ring all fell out when I pushed the spindle through from the top, while the housing was still attached to the deck.  I'm just sure it was not assembled correctly. 

Thanks.

TDF5G

Wow, it's been a long time since I began this project. :unsure:  But I eventually accumulated all the parts I needed.  I got a chance to get it all back together yesterday.  Put a new belt on too.  All seems to be good.  Haven't mounted to tractor and tried out yet though.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:wwp:

• Like 2

TDF5G
15 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

:wwp:

I'm sorry, I didn't take time to take assembly pics.  Here's the bearings I used.  I removed the seal from one side and put the zerks back in like it was originally.  Everything went back together very well.  I had to get reacquainted with all the parts though, it had been a long time.  The used spindle that I got was slightly different but I made it work.  

5a3bcd6b19349_IMG_41981.JPG.0badcc8fb9a8e5ebf4ecc10320a7258f.JPG

5a3bcd76d3450_IMG_41991.JPG.3bdf41f507cae8f3afe35a8b9173ed1d.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

WHX??
3 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

reacquainted with all the parts though, it had been a long time

Story of my life ...that's why I take disassembly pics ... so wayyyy down the road when it has to go back together I can remember how it goes back together. That way I have pics to show the clowns here too! Thanks God for IPLs to show me where that dang c-clip goes! :lol:

• Like 1

TDF5G
16 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Story of my life ...that's why I take disassembly pics ... so wayyyy down the road when it has to go back together I can remember how it goes back together. That way I have pics to show the clowns here too! Thanks God for IPLs to show me where that dang c-clip goes! :lol:

I found the Wheel Horse Mower Deck Spindle Chart in the manuals section very useful too.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Excellent 1

GREYGHOST
19 hours ago, WHX14 said:

WHX14,Now that's Funny. I do the same thing BUT, I have lost some photos. Only because I took so long to get back to that particular project. Sometimes, No, just about ALL the time I've got to many irons in the fire all at the same time. But, it does work great.

• Like 1

TDF5G

I found one more pic!  This is the used spindle I bought from ebay. :rolleyes:

IMG_4173.JPG

TDF5G

Final chapter:  I got a chance to put the deck on my B-100 this past Sunday afternoon and test 'er out.  Cuts like a hoss and runs smooth and quiet.  B)  

Thanks to everyone for the assistance and info.:greetings-clappingyellow:

On to the next project!

Todd

Edited by TDF5G
  • Excellent 1