A little red 312 hauls in a big Deere

stevebo

That is a big boy

• Like 1

Achto

Congratulations!! That's a nice one.

• Like 2

roadapples

Nice one Ed :handgestures-thumbupright:....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
7 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Nice one Ed :handgestures-thumbupright:....

Are you talkin about the HORSE  or the DEERE   Jay?     The deer isn't as nice as those monsters you have on your back porch, but he'll do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Nice Ed :handgestures-thumbupright: is that the one you had your eye on? Rack is perfect other than that brow tine. I would guess he will go over 200 lbs easy. Lots of heart healthy eats ther!

2 minutes ago, WHX12 said:

is that the one you had your eye on?

never mind just read your other thread

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Yum!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell

Got the hide of last night.

IMG_0055.JPG.eeccc7eda17b4b7db4dbf0f5398fb333.JPG

And an old buzzard picked the bones clean today.     Yielded 80 lbs of deboned meat.

IMG_0001.JPG.246c736592a213a8c8125753f1bdfd6b.JPG

• Like 6

WVHillbilly520H

That rack looks pretty much like the one eluding me no pics of the deer but I have some of the rubs left on the trees on my property in WV, Jeff.

IMAG3780.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

WOW, now that's a serious rub Jeff. Any fresh  scrapes close by?    What is the garden hose for?    Sugar water piping?

• Like 1

JC 1965

WOW !!  That's is one nice Deer Ed. When I first saw your post I thought I would open it and see a 312 :wh: pulling a big green tractor.     :ychain:

• Like 1

WHX??
28 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

now that's a serious rub Jeff.

Yes indeed, I've been told the bigger the tree the bigger the buck. I have seen rubs like that in the woods but unfortunately  never the animal that made it!

You have a peculiar way to clean & process your deer Ed but looks like an efficient way. I usually quarter everything and then can work on them on a table. You are certainly waste not want not! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

WOW, now that's a serious rub Jeff. Any fresh  scrapes close by?    What is the garden hose for?    Sugar water piping?

For the last 3+ years I've had rubs of that size all over our 14 acres but can never seem to catch him on "film" did see him opening day 1/2 mile away though, and scrapes not this year but last 2, there's a 50+ acre "Wildlife Sanctuary" across the county road bordering our property so I believe he stays in the midst of that not to mention the big cedar thicket I caught him going into on the next property, and with school this year I really didn't have the time to invest in careful scouting, garden hose something dad had going on never asked him. Pics from the last few years...and my 2 biggest...and how you could haul your deer in...and last standing outside my truck about 50 yards away with with nothing more than woven fence separating us... and my Christmas trophy from 10 years ago...Sorry if I hi-jacked your post.

IMAG1012.jpg

IMAG1011.jpg

IMAG1585.jpg

IMAG1546.jpg

IMAG1545.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0800.jpg

IMAG1662.jpg

IMAG1663.jpg

IMAG1013.jpg

100_0127.JPG

1512149328155463190152.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, WHX12 said:

You have a peculiar way to clean & process your deer Ed but looks like an efficient way.

Yeah, I have been accused of not being normal Jim.  But I am left handed, so that is what I blame most of my peculiarities on.

Actually I have been butchering deer this way for quite a few years.   

I started using this technique when I was hunting/tent camping in some remote areas of W Va. and western Md.  when I did not have any facilities.

I carry a small rope fall, gimble, and a small meat saw and of course a knife. With this limited equipment, I can process a deer any place that I have a tree to hang it from.

The process I use weather I am in the remote woods, or at home is:

1 saw off all four legs..fronts above the knee, rears below the hock.

2 as normal, split the hide from hock to hock on the inside of the rear legs

3 install the gimble and hang the deer.

4 case skin the deer w/o splitting the hide until it gets tight over the chest area

5 at this point , it is usually necessary to spilt the hide. I do this on the back  This is necessary if the deer is to be caped for mounting.

6 continue case skinning the front legs and neck to the head.

7 saw thru the neck to remove the head and hide   If mounting, cut off the hide behind the front legs and discard.  The head, horns and cape are ready for the taxidermist.

8 you probably think I missed gutting the deer.   No, this is where I open the body cavity and clean the inside

.   By waiting till after skinning, three is absolutely no hair on the body, and no debris inside the deer

This takes about 60 to 90 minutes to get to this point.

If the temp is 40 degrees or less, the deer can hang for several days before deboning.

The deboning actually is easier if the meat is stiff from hanging as it slices easier.

I find by doing the deboning while the deer is hanging from a fixed object, it makes it easier and gravity helps to separate the meat from the bones

There is a health safety advantage also to this method.  Due to the Mad cow, CWD etc., it is recommended the spinal cord and the bone marrow should not be exposed.

Sorry for the long post Jim,  But I blame it all on being LEFT HANDED.

4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

..Sorry if I hi-jacked your post.

Not at all Jeff.   :text-coolphotos:  and we luv stories.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
19 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

blame it all on being LEFT HANDED.

:lol:

Lemme get this strait Ed you gut the deer after it's been hung and skinned out not out in the woods before it's been brought in? I would guess if that's the case it is hung from the head up allowing the guts to fall into a suitable container? I guess it makes sense as I would think that's how it's done in a slaughter house with beef?  Never heard or saw it done that way with deer tho.

19 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

temp is 40 degrees or less, the deer can hang for several days before deboning

Yes they say that is actually best...aging it abit.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

That's right Jim,  I gut after skinning.    I hang it by the rear for skinning and for gutting.  When I open the body for gutting, I start at the neck and work up to the rear end.  Everything rolls out into the bottom half of a plastic barrel.     Obviously, this process should  only be used if it can be completed within several hours of the kill.   After the butchering is completed, everything but the meat is returned to the woods and usually is completely consumed by the critters in several days.  I have the boned carcass in the field close to the house trying to attract two bald eagles close enough for some photos. They were on it yesterday, but left before I could get the pics.  I finished caping out the head yesterday and ordered the form for mounting.  This will be my non-tractor winter project.

IMG_0003.JPG.cd2170b975a26714475648ad23130c7c.JPGIMG_0001.JPG.9910bbf411347b0cc24111e2352f0c1e.JPG

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell Ed are you going to mount the head yourself? Do you have any spare time ( you know sitting , sleeping etc ) ?

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Yep Jim, I've been doing my own taxidermy since harvesting my first deer with a bow in 1965.

I do have time to relax....I fact I'm sittin in the recliner now   Sippin on some shine and talkin to some :wh: friends.   What could be better ?

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

I was going to suggest put a good trail cam on those gut piles for :text-coolphotos: of those critters but sounds like you might have that covered. It does give a whole new meaning to bird feeding.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

buckrancher

Great deer ED congrats:woohoo:

Brian

• Like 1

Vinylguy

picture worth a thousand words!! Wow

5a24343516d11_edkennell.png.c3a2eaa1a2645cdb258130ca520bb0e3.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

@Ed Kennell, I think this one must haven gotten into your 'shine...:omg:

041.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Definitely one laid back deer Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I did receive the shipment from Mckenzie today. So I have all I need to mount the deer.  I'll mount the antlers and eyes in the form, but probably won't add the cape till Jan.

I did make a few creatures from the feet.....yes, I use it all.  The tail hair will be used to tie flounder flies.

IMG_0015.JPG.137536fcac29506de487fe606fd2b891.JPGIMG_0018.JPG.e5cb536d7c552d68fba2aa7d9b6c666f.JPG

Anyone ever seen a striped deer foot?  This is the first one I have ever seen and I have processed well over 100 deer.   I googled striped deer foot and was surprised to find some info.IMG_0019.JPG.5941597dd00aa7c3b3cb4b7109599116.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Anyone ever seen a striped deer foot

Never  ..now I'll have to pay more attention. If you get the time Ed I'd like to see how you prep (tan??) the cape.

There was a good article in Wisconsin Outdoor Newspaper  on things to make out of what most folks would consider unusable parts. Bow strings from sinew, coat buttons, all kinds of cool stuff. Probably some good stuff on the 'net as well   I have made lots of gun racks & foot stools out of deer legs.

• Like 1