mpoore

Value of Lawn Ranger L-155

mpoore

I am going to look at a L-155 tomorrow. It's listed as a barn find. Seller knows nothing about it. Comes with two engines. Original is locked. Non-original engine turns over. Mower deck, snow blade, and bucket plow included. Pictures show it dirty and rusty, but it looks to be complete.

What do you think it is worth and would it be better to part it or fix it knowing the original engine is likely a lost cause?

image.jpeg.ef496787c3f9b6c47f6ac118ad6904c5.jpeg

image.jpeg.d0cd7352f1dcf5b35dc70e583aae13c1.jpeg

• Like 2

Dan693

I got my all original and running perfect 156 for $300 a few months ago so maybe $200 tops since it comes with a snow plow but I would shoot for $100.

20171017_153015.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, mpoore said:

knowing the original engine is likely a lost cause?

:WRS:         The fact that an engine is locked up doesn't make it a lost cause, but this could be a bargaining point. I agree that $ 100 would be a good starting point.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Love the Lawn Ranger's.    Sturdy as the bigger Wheel Horse and worth the effort to restore.

post-339-0-57387000-1364226381_thumb.jpg

msg-339-0-83993200-1383875829_thumb.jpgpost-339-0-70106500-1391572940_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

woodchuckfarmer

Start at 50 bucks you can always go up some.      Wayne

mpoore

Thanks for the input everyone. For the sake of those reading this in the future, I made a deal at $125.

It was complete, but pretty rusty. The snow plow is in good shape, but I question if all of the mounting hardware is there. It also came with a homemade loader bucket. Someone took a bulldozer blade and welded a bottom and sides to it. Smart idea. It looks well done for homemade. I might turn that loader bucket into a project for my C-195 because I do not see how it could possibly work on that little Lawn Ranger. See the picture below.

The hood on those old machines has some great curves. The deck bearings seem good. The aftermarket engine has compression. The original engine has something going on internally. It will rotate, but you can feel it hit something halfway around. The crank can be turned 360 degrees by hand, but it gets harder after it hits something. No compression. My guess would be a valve, but I know very little about Techumseh/Lauson. I suppose engine parts are difficult and expensive to come by. If anyone has a recommendation for a supplier, please pass it along.

image.jpeg.74d81d74a8616b1ba620331888f00ca3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

I would guess one thing you are missing for the plow is the pair of mounting plates (#5) that go on the frame and hold the plow cross rod.  It is the gray thing in the picture.  i had to make mine, not hard to do.

Manual is here.

IMG_3275.JPG

385.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

mpoore

Thanks for the file. Original documents are always helpful. Unfortunately, the plow looks nothing like yours. Since the guy I bought it from had no idea what he had, there is a good chance I have stuff for other tractors. I think I'll start a new thread, once I take some pictures, called "Name that Part." Should be fun.

I got a chance to check out the engines.

Pulled the head on the original. A piece of the top land on the piston broke off. The head looks okay, but the bore has grooves. What worries me is how this would have happened. I'll post pictures once I get them.

The good news is that the second engine fired with starting fluid. I think it will run with a rebuilt carb and new fuel line.

• Like 1

dells68

Ok, where are the pics of the tractor?  My son really digs these little things.  I kind of dig them too!

• Haha 1

lou pugh

Small machine shops will bore cylinder and install new piston and rod at a very nominal cost . The last 8 hp Kohler I had done cost me 135.00 including parts also touched up valves .