tpuppo3

Briggs & Stratton high idle on a C161

tpuppo3

Hello all.  I spent about 30 minutes sorting through thousands of topics related to "high idle" but none of which answered my question, so apologies to all if this is a repeat.

I recently bought a C161 (8 speed manual) with a Briggs & Stratton 18hp twin.  According to Briggs' manual they recommend idle to be set at 1400rpm.  I'm not claiming to be smarter than the engineers who designed it, but this seems incredibly high and wasteful on gas.  Realistically, a tractor engine isn't spending a lot of time idling (not like a car stuck in traffic or at a light) but it's more of an annoyance than anything. 

My question is, does anyone know 1.) why it's idle is so high, and 2.) has anyone tinkered with it to get it lower-without compromising other performance aspects of the engine?  All my personal preferences in relation to idle speed aside, the engine runs like a top (knock on wood). 

Thanks to all for your help. 

pfrederi

Issue is lubrication and cooling.   Kohler specifies an idle speed of 1200 on their KT series twins.  Even the MAgnum Twins that have a pressurized oil system spec 1200.  One thing to consider these pressurized systems are fairly low pressure so some splash is helping out. .  i do not know if you B&S has an oil pump or relies only on splash.   Cooling an aircooled relies on the flywheel fan.  Slow speed low air flow.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tpuppo3

Ok that makes sense.  I'm pretty new to the tractor scene but am quickly becoming obsessed.  I printed out the parts manual and operators manual, I'll read through and see what they specify for oil lubrication.  I definitely don't want oil starvation or overheating, as I stated earlier, I'm not smarter than the engineers who built this. 

Thanks for the input.

Edited by tpuppo3
  • Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, tpuppo3 said:

am quickly becoming obsessed.

:WRS:                     That is what we like to hear around here!          :WRS:

5a1e12589f448_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.06b0bb3d7abbe383a06dd3d6e6cdf421.jpg

• Like 1

tpuppo3

Man it's badass.  I'm pretty pumped for some snow, I have a plow and slow blower attachment.  My driveway is at a slight grade, I'm hoping the wheel weights and tire chains +200lb of me compensate for it. 

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• TractorEd
      By TractorEd
      I’ve decided to start this thread to keep this info together.  It’s about this C-161 I have.

It showed up at my house one day around mid-2021 as a “parts” tractor.

I had no idea this was going to be left at my door, abandoned, tired, unwanted.  I can’t remember a lot of what I was being told about it as I was staring at it wondering why I was chosen, apparently, as the one who was to strip it of it’s organs and transplant them into some other “being”.

By the time those who brought it left, even though I never said it until just now, I knew I was going to attempt to resuscitate her.

No longer an “it” she was certainly worthy of a shot at another life.  16 HP Kohler, Sunstrand Hydro and hydraulic lift!  I had already fallen in love with the C-100 I grew up with that I later inherited, but this girl had something extra, something different about her that I thought was …
      appealing.

Parts tractor?  Not if I can $@%# help it!

She was glistening.  Maybe it had something to do with the rain that day on the ride over.  But she IS glistening!
    • Team70R
      By Team70R
      Well I scored a gently used Briggs 900 series to repower my new 606! Doesn't have an air cleaner cover for it so I zip tied the filter on after I cleaned all the junk out of the carb and it ran good. Now it will rev slow and die after it idles a second. I'm guessing there's some more gunk in the carb that I either missed or broke free?? 

• elicountryboy1996
      By elicountryboy1996
      I have a wheel horse c161 Hydro, and I want to put on a stack type exhaust as the muffler that is currently on it appears to be to large and burns the paint on one side of the hood, what will I need to do this job, such as pipe size and stuff.

The picture is what I want my muffler and pipe to look like, it is not my tractor

• gwess
      By gwess
      Hello,

So i finally got my Wheel Horse running after some work. I have rebuilt the carburetor and now I need to fine tune it. However, I have an issue. My engine idles lowest, but not all the way, at mid throttle. If i push the throttle down all the way my engine revs back up. While i go through the throttle i can witness the idle adjustment spring body go like this:  
      Throttle all the way open, Idle Spring and body all the way up.
      Throttle midway, Idle spring and body close to all the way down.
      Throttle closed, idle spring goes back up a bit to midway. 

Any thoughts would be great. 
      Thank you,
    • Aldon
      By Aldon
      I bought a C-161 last year which I knew would need body off restoration.

I did not get the priority job of remodeling the wifes kitchen done in time to tackle before we got to grass season.

It runs well now that I have replaced starter...and flywheel (don't ask why on the flywheel   ) and I had hoped to use it to mow this summer and resto it over winter.

But It has a gas leak. I fixed one leak which I had hoped was the only leak by replacing the grommet.

This bigger leak is on bottom. There are two indentations. Might have been slightly threaded a long time ago to hold it in place.

Question is....Do any of you know what type of plastic are these made of?

Will the epoxy glues at auto parts box stores adhere to it?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Aldon