12 hp Kohler

New to me kohler k241s

12 hp Kohler

Went to an auction on Friday and picked up a kohler k241s. I thought it would go expensive but I ended up getting it for only $3 which I was very excited about. It is missing the carb, coil, condenser and air cleaner and housing. Luckily I have all of the things it is missing. The flywheel wasn’t turning the best so I took the shroud of and found a surprise, looks like not just humans like kohler. Hoping to get it running eventually and maybe pop it into my c-81. I took the fuel pump off and it seems to work okay, luckily.609F3E7F-CDFD-470B-BAC6-8277E3C64786.jpeg.165fe16bd5477909f60097d782da542a.jpeg

7FF3885B-8B78-4A99-8132-EA18C510DC9F.jpeg.ad2ddb3c1ecfdd4d2b200f1a88cab68a.jpeg94EE1F8D-C3D4-4CAB-8C76-FB041BFE0646.jpeg.99becee5ed66e0392403d811559ad94b.jpeg

AFCB889B-5EF3-401E-B971-9B81E10C33AF.jpeg

EE5016BE-EEE4-4100-AEA1-2818E07BDCBC.jpeg

5F730B4E-1588-44E1-9873-B6481D5768B5.jpeg

Edited by 12 hp Kohler
  • Like 7

953 nut

Good buy, I would say "Cool Pictures" but then I saw the last one.     :ychain:

I learned a lesson this summer. Bought a parts tractor and put it in the shop, next day I spotted a mouse, then a few more. From now on I will put some moth balls in them for a day or two prior to bringing them in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 12 hp Kohler said:

$3

great score !

12 hp Kohler

Yeah thanks, hopefully I can get it running with minimal work. The starter seems okay as well and should hopefully work but if it doesn’t I have an extra. 

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

spotted a mouse

Never ending battle here in the woods.

953 nut

Moth balls in and around everything stored in the barn and some Tomcat bait near every shop door has been doing the job so far. Have to keep putting out more blocks every week, We are right next to a national forest.

037201005.jpg?itok=qbdO8VYt

• Like 4

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Tomcat bait

We can't use that here because we several nesting pairs of at least 2 species of owls. More than one pair of Great horned and also Barred. Owls Will eat a poisoned mouse.

We've done some traps with limited success due to limited time taken checking and maintaining the traps.

• Like 4

BOB ELLISON

Every tractor I get I take the tins off just for that reason. I had mice nests in 2 of 6 tractors. My c160 sat out in a field and had a nest around the fly wheel.

You got a great steal i mean deal.

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 4

rjg854

Living in the woods, and having an older home I use the old style snap traps with raisins as bait.  I have pretty good luck keeping the mice under control that way, I notice them more in the basement of the house than in the barn or sheds.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Kohler made spec # 46681 for Gravely and the 9064685 serial is from 1978.

Many of the Gravely engines used a real short pto shaft on the crankshaft.

Does this one meet your needs for the Wheel Horse pto?

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k241-46681-kohler-k241-engine-k-series-gravely-10hp-7-5kw-specs-4600-46858/

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Achto
12 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We've done some traps with limited success due to limited time taken checking and maintaining the traps.

Try building some of these traps. No need to check them on a daily basis. I use coolant in the pail so it won't freeze & it also preserves the mice so that they don't smell bad. Make sure that the can spins freely & rub some peanut butter on it for bait. I have very good luck with these.

5a1d676cd830c_mousetrap.png.cd596a9cdfbb1a989a2fcc35906f0208.png

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Sarge

I use the common glue boards around the house , sheds and such - we have a whole town full of owls and we prefer to keep them as they control rodents extremely well . Got several barred , barn , great horned and screech owl pairs living in our neighborhood too , sounds like a chorus at night all year round . The Great Horned pair sits just outside our windows at night in a small maple and at times I swear they are watching tv with us...no poisons allowed around here .

Sarge

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Like that trap @Achto simple and easy :handgestures-thumbupright: . Also besides moth balls mice don’t like dryer sheets or mint .

• Like 3

12 hp Kohler
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Kohler made spec # 46681 for Gravely and the 9064685 serial is from 1978.

Many of the Gravely engines used a real short pto shaft on the crankshaft.

Does this one meet your needs for the Wheel Horse pto?

http://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k241-46681-kohler-k241-engine-k-series-gravely-10hp-7-5kw-specs-4600-46858/

Garry

IT has a mount for a gravely but the mount is removable so it should work on the horse 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 11/28/2017 at 5:05 AM, rjg854 said:

old style snap traps with raisins as bait

That's a new one to me... I'll try that or c'raisins and see how they do.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:43 AM, Achto said:

Try building some of these traps. No need to check them on a daily basis. I use coolant in the pail so it won't freeze & it also preserves the mice so that they don't smell bad. Make sure that the can spins freely & rub some peanut butter on it for bait. I have very good luck with these.

5a1d676cd830c_mousetrap.png.cd596a9cdfbb1a989a2fcc35906f0208.png

I did one of those last fall and got 2. Then nothing....

No idea why.

I think I'll re-visit the idea and try a new location.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:05 PM, ACman said:

mice don’t like dryer sheets or mint

I did some research online and found that mice are Very fickle with likes and dis-likes.

My parents used Dryer sheets for years in their campers and had good luck.

I tried them here and the meeces were literally using the sheets as their homes and toilets...

I may try the mint.

• Like 1