pfrederi

What do your Horses have to clear in the Winter?

oldredrider

I use a GT-14 with a 54" blade. Weights front and rear and loaded rear tires with rubber chains. My driveway is only about 125 feet long so it's a quick job. However, I usually get antsy and plow the street from my house to the main road; about 100 yds.

Then, if the accumulation is good, go thru the subdivision and save the shovelers some work. Can usually pick up some good money and people will pay $40 at the drop of a hat. I get my seat time and their driveway is clear. Everybody wins!

Totally rebuilt a short chute blower in '10 but never had enough snow where I needed it. Sold it yesterday. 

Edited by oldredrider
  • Like 3

FatJackDurham

I have a double driveway, about 75' long. I have my GT-14 with a 56" plow, and my 416-8 with a single stage 41" blower. Going to use the blower today, just 3 inches of snow. 

• Like 2

Jerry77

I have 3500 sq ft of drive that I clear and about that much again for 3 neighbors with the plow on my 516H1100.   If it is like last year I won't even have to take it out of the barn...had zero snow...In 77 we had a blizzard...They even had tanks from the National Guard to service sick people at that time..Southern Indiana weather is fickle..the only thing you can count on is you can't count on it...:lol:

• Like 2

dclarke

I have a double driveway that's only about 40' long, I also usually take care of several driveways on our block and several scattered across town. 

You sure have a nice place there, Paul.  

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I have a 250 ft double wide drive with a turn around.  My 520H with a two stage and cab makes quick work of it here in NE Pennsylvania.  I also have a backup 520H with a single stage and a 522xi with a double stage.  Can't have enough backup.  I hate working on tractor during a snow storm.

Nice place you have to play in.  Sounds like you are close to me.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I really hate to say this but I use the snow blade  to push piles of leaves to the back of the property and to hall branches etc in the cart that I hook to the 416-8. If it snows I stay home ( being retired does have some advantage). Sometimes if we get any snow , the old snow shovel clears a 25 ft path to the mail box. Surprising how much the weather is different only two hours west in oleredrider's area of the state from me.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I have a 250 ft double wide drive with a turn around.  My 520H with a two stage and cab makes quick work of it here in NE Pennsylvania.  I also have a backup 520H with a single stage and a 522xi with a double stage.  Can't have enough backup.  I hate working on tractor during a snow storm.

Nice place you have to play in.  Sounds like you are close to me.

We are close 40-50 miles at most.  Yes backups are super important. You use 50 year old stuff you have to expect problems.  i have a back up plow ready to go another Charger 12.  Back up for the blower would require waking up a summer worker.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

I usually use my GT-14 with 54" blade. I have tire chains on the rears with (inside) wheel weights.

I have also used my B-80 with 42" blade. The tires have chains and are filled with windshield washer fluid.

I may try to add my C-160 to the mix this year and store the B-80 set-up at my brothers house across town.

I don't have much driveway myself, but I do mine, dads, my brothers and in front of the firehouse (was a VFD member for 31 years).

I also plow about 10 blocks of town streets as wide as I possibly can, as the town with their 8' blade only make 1 pass each direction...Then I take over....at least my neighbors appreciate it!

• Like 7

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

just 3 inches of snow.

you go ahead and keep it over there...:P

2 hours ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Can't have enough backup.  I hate working on tractor during a snow storm.

Yes !!

My uncle once told my father - If it's important enough to have one of them, it's important enough to have 2 of them. Specifically that was a snowblower, but he used a similar phrase to describe his lawn tractor later.

• Like 5

Jerry77
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I really hate to say this but I use the snow blade  to push piles of leaves to the back of the property

Don't feel lonely - I use my blade to push leaves, dirt, branches and anything else in my way to the back of the property...don't get much chance to use it on snow.:laughing-rofl:

• Like 3

JAinVA

I have over 600' of drive to clear.I usually clear some of the neighbors drives as well as the culdesac.The single stage and 416h do me well.We don't have a lot of snow here but when we do it is a bear to deal with.When it gets bumper height on a 4wd with 33" tires plowing is not an option with a GT.Some folks look at the blower and shake their heads until the snow gets deep.Just another day in a WHs life I guess.Be safe,JAinVA.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

oldredrider

Jim, seriously? 600 inches? :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

JAinVA

Paul we all get as much seat time as possible, even if it is only fifty feet. Hope you and yours have a good holiday.JimAnderson

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

The C-105 does our double drive and two neighbor drives... Down from 8 when my son was doing his lawn / snow business...

IMG_1603.jpg

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I use a Bobcat 853 with a 66"  blade. bucket  You can push, pull, drag,pile up,carry away, or load it into a truck if need be.

I hate to scoop up any gravel, so I try to keep 4" or so left behind and then back drag it to pack it down. Once it freezes , you can really take the  new snowfall away very quickly. i never even got a snow shovel out last winter, but we usually get at least one 10 incher with occasionally 16 to 20 inches

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Snow??? What's that??? Lol I look at everyone's setups for winter and actually get a little bit jealous and wish we got more of the white stuff so I could join in on the fun. But what little snow we do get can be handled with a shovel...though I do have a blade for the 701 if I ever get it out back together

• Like 2

rjg854

I clear the circle that connects the house, the barn, and the shed, with additional 800' of drive way.  I have the 73' 12hp with a snow thrower on it and a 68 Commando with a plow and a back-up 68 Commando that I can either put a plow on or a snow thrower. Depending on the depth of the snow, usually takes about an hour and a half.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

pfrederi  Nice picks. looks it is a 2 to 3 day job when the big one hits.

Pollack Pete
17 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Totally rebuilt a short chute blower in '10 but never had enough snow where I needed it. Sold it yesterday. 

Probably get record snow falls since you sold the blower.That would be my luck anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

squonk
12 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I clear the circle that connects the house, the barn, and the shed, with additional 800' of drive way.  I have the 73' 12hp with a snow thrower on it and a 68 Commando with a plow and a back-up 68 Commando that I can either put a plow on or a snow thrower. Depending on the depth of the snow, usually takes about an hour and a half.

Now that you have a cab, you'll probably do your whole yard! :teasing-poke:

• Haha 1

rjg854

Not the whole yard, but at least around to the cellar door to get to the basement to fill the coal boiler and dump the ash. 

• Like 2

953 nut

Our driveway is about 600 feet long and has an elevation change of about 80 feet (we live in the forest half way up a mountainside). In a couple of places it is close to a 100% grade (45 degrees) which can be a challenge. I have to plow down hill then return to the top and make another pass. Fortunately we only get snow a couple of times a year and it is usually sunny after the snowfall so the driveway dries once plowed.

007.JPG.ca07e2fb5b09c31f13c89da9d9d70b85.JPG

010.JPG.0a740aada7a255890ecc5675a7f4082e.JPG

• Like 9