Ed Kennell

I'm Baaack

Sparky

No cell and Internet sounds great! I swear I got way more done in a day before all these electronic distractions came along.

Incredible view! I could chill out there for awhile for sure. Any good fishing spots close to it?

• Like 3

Aldon

Awesome!

• Like 2

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:  n i c e...

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Welcome back to the world of   :wh:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Ed Kennell, did you get any critters or was it like my dismal season yet again, Jeff.

• Like 3

squonk

Even the stove's smiling! :)

• Like 2

Achto

Looks like a fantastic get away. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred

God's Country !

• Like 2

tunahead72

Beautiful, Ed!  It's a different world up there, isn't it? :thumbs:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

No cell and Internet sounds great! I swear I got way more done in a day before all these electronic distractions came along.

Incredible view! I could chill out there for awhile for sure. Any good fishing spots close to it?

A few native brook trout streams can be found Mike.   Raystown Lake is about an hour away.

2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Ed Kennell, did you get any critters or was it like my dismal season yet again, Jeff.

Wasn't hunting there Jeff.  We are between seasons here.  Archery is over and firearms starts tomorrow.  I did take a doe and passed on 3-4 buck in archery season.

I've been saving my one buck tag for a decent deer that I have been watching since August and hunting for 33 days of the 37 day archery season.

May be he'll show up tomorrow morning.   

• Like 4

WHX??

Oh my Ed.... sounds like my past week! No phones no Internet just woods and hunting! Know you won't mind the pics...nothing special as far as horns but I am a meat hunter. We ended up with 4 on the buck pole.

20171122_093948-1.jpg

11710.jpg

20171122_104435.jpg

• Like 8

roadapples

Just pondering a :wh: to match your coat....nah, nevermind....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

WTG Jim.  :thumbs:   :text-coolphotos:      I gotta ask though, did that buck try to rip off your right leg. :ychain:

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

WHX??
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

one buck tag for a decent deer

Only get one buck tag for either archery or gun Ed? We get one buck tag for gun and one for archery. Our nine day gun season ended on Sunday but a 10 day season just opened today for those with a front stuffer black powder and not lucky enough to fill their gun buck tag. Also our archery season doesn't end till after the first of the year and you can bow hunt during the gun seasons but you must put away the camo  and wear blaze then.

Good Luck!

Edited by WHX12
speeling

Ed Kennell

Yep, only one buck tag / hunter in Pa.  Jim.      Legal buck in Pa must have 3 points minimum on one side.  The tag can be used in archery, rifle, or flintlock season.

Doe tags are allotted to specific wildlife management areas  based on deer populations.     Multiple doe tags can be applied for till they are depleted.

WHX??

Wow we're pretty liberal with tags here then. Legal buck only has to have only one point minimum on one side but must be 3" or longer. The one I harvested was darn near a unicorn! :lol: Seems we have lots of what we call "scrub" bucks tho. Hunters are encouraged to take them to let the nicer ones spread their genetics. Doe tags are pretty much given away, especially in the farmland zones. Not so much in the northern forest zones.  I got five doe tags alone when I bought my licenses. Speaking of tags we don't even have them this year. All you need is a pdf of the license on your smartphone! My how times have changed. No more tags & registrations stations, you phone in your animal! Sometimes hard things for us old scholars to swallow. CWD is a big concern here now. Some pics of some of the fine bucks at a processing center.

20171125_143347[1].jpg

20171125_143409[1].jpg

20171125_143356[1].jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, WHX12 said:

Wow we're pretty liberal with tags here then. Legal buck only has to have only one point minimum on one side but must be 3" or longer. The one I harvested was darn near a unicorn! :lol: Seems we have lots of what we call "scrub" bucks tho. Hunters are encouraged to take them to let the nicer ones spread their genetics. Doe tags are pretty much given away, especially in the farmland zones. Not so much in the northern forest zones.  I got five doe tags alone when I bought my licenses. Speaking of tags we don't even have them this year. All you need is a pdf of the license on your smartphone! My how times have changed. No more tags & registrations stations, you phone in your animal! Sometimes hard things for us old scholars to swallow. CWD is a big concern here now. Some pics of some of the fine bucks at a processing center.

20171125_143347[1].jpg

20171125_143409[1].jpg

20171125_143356[1].jpg

Do they have "shop your way rewards" at that processing center with the carts in the corner , :confusion-confused::hilarious: ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Those are called customer convenience carts Billy... glad they were there when I had to pick up my 100 plus pounds of trim that I am going to turn into delicious jerky, brats, sausage, hot sticks and whatnot ... your share goes to Ed and @stevasaurus :ychain:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

Excellent pictures guys...it is important to properly manage the deer population in the states...especially from a disease point of view.  I think Jim is thinking, much like here in Illinois, the conservation departments are so strapped for resources...good management is on the wish list.  :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

I really don't get how the heck the continue to say the population is somewhat low in Illinois - we have some truly huge herds running around and the number of vehicle strikes just continues to climb . We do need more management resources here badly - budget cuts have certainly hurt that department in a bad way .

Sarge

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a great place for seclusion

Glenn

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I finally scored on this one today.  I watched him all fall and when the archery season opened , I didn't see him for nearly six weeks.  He finally showed up on the next to last day of the archery season, but although I watched him all day, I could not get a good standing shot within range of the bow.    So, I had to wait for the rifle season and he showed up today and gave me a 150 yard neck shot.   And yes the horse hauled in the deere.

IMG_0050.JPG.b4b80b5a2f43d7c929d620d725dd0b09.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG.f378e809db863bcb426e28d6ba648205.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG.f5d9a87fac2b0f304e10ce2947ce3993.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ericj

I got my first buck on Nov 2 in VA this year a nice 4 point, unfortunately it was about 2:15 am on I95 close to exit 31, with the front of the wife's van, 250 + miles from home. took out the radiator, trans cooler and a/c condenser. had to call my brother at 2:30 am and ask him to bring his truck and our trailer down to get me and my family. then sat in the cold car for almost 5 hours till he made it there. lucky for me I carry comp. insurance on my vehicles and they covered it. totaled the van and got more then I paid for it but not enough to replace it with a nicer van. The VA state trooper that came upon us was very nice and hauled the wife and kids up to the truck stop to get them out of the cold. I stayed behind to make sure the van didn't get towed. 

eric j  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

Wow, sounds like a real nightmare Eric.    Sure glad the deer was the only one injured.    Did you get to keep the deer?