artfull dodger

Commando 8 diesel exhaust set up

artfull dodger

With all the stack posts, here is my Commando 8's exhaust set up right now.  Nice and quiet and blows the fumes foward and away.   But, I am getting the itch for one of those chrome turnout style exhaust stacks/muffler set ups.  I have another flange mount for the diesel engine that is just a pipe nipple, so I can do something similar.  Just have to make sure I am not riding in a plume of diesel exhaust.     Mike the Aspie.  

20170901_175453.jpg

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug: Digging the muffler you have now. 

• Like 1

littleredrider

They only blow smoke when seriously lugged or really working/tremendous load. Sometimes first starts can be smoky, but goes away quick. I'd say try what you have now, and if don't like it then change it. But if you run a stack, remember it has to be taller than your head, or would be defeating the purpose in the first place.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
14 minutes ago, littleredrider said:

If you run a stack, remember it has to be taller than your head, or would be defeating the purpose in the first place.

:text-yeahthat:

artfull dodger

Not so much deafing, I wear a set of ear muffs if working her anyways(autism issue again), but its more a health issue, not riding directly in the exhaust fumes all the time.  This is one reason for the current set up.  Works really well in that respect, and is very quiet yet free flowing.  Probably gonna soot up my snow blade a bit, but thats ok.  Yes she does burn really clean once warmed up.  A bit smokey when first started, espically when cold if I do not use the intake heater when I start it.  But clears up once the cylinder temps come up.  Only rolls coal if I snap the throttle from idle to full quickly, or really lug it down(which is quite difficult to do on a short frame!).   Mike the Aspie

pfrederi

Stacks have a way of finding low hanging branches

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

artfull dodger

That is the one reason I have resisted the urge to put a stack on her.  I found that muffler thats on her now at the summer Portland, IN show/swap.  It has an insulated lagged outer cover like a steam locomotive boiler, flows nicely(important on a diesel) and is very quiet(unlike the knocking diesel under the hood!!).  If she was a long frame, I would have put a factory style WH under hood exhaust on her, with some adaption to reach the exhaust port on the diesel.  Not enough room for that in the nose of a short frame.     Mike the Aspie

shallowwatersailor

Here are photos of my DC-105 with a Carroll Stream 10 hp diesel. Actually the stack is about the same height as my face when driving it and doesn't bother me. I do have the tip pointed slightly forward and out. I wear ear protection with everything now, as I have a case of tinnutis from the noise of the enginerooms and FD days.

DSC08231.JPG.b247cbc3987f61c35c3236e0d7b1b0be.JPG

DSC08232.JPG.22776fc63b62875b7eb5c9698abd6fd2.JPG

DSC08233.JPG.4d1d8e8b793a89926821bc7acafc99c0.JPG

DSC08230.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

artfull dodger

Looks good!!  All loud sound is very painfull for me due to sensory issues.  I wear ear muff protection all day at work, anytime we go to concerts or sporting events and when I run the horse at full power.  I am ok(usually) just idling around swap meets pulling my friend on his sulkey.  But I do take them along as if I am having a rough day already, the excess noise might cause a meltdown.  Mike the Aspie

Edited by artfull dodger

Cvans

Hi Mike:

I ran a vertical exhaust on the Lister Wheel Horse for a number of years and got tired of it. Now running a horizontal muffler like yours and loving it. If you change I would hang onto your present system in case you decide you were happier with it later. 

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Maybe you could find a motorcycle muffler of similar or slightly larger diameter and slice out a section for a chrome heat shield?. Harley guys are always doing away with stock mufflers in almost new condition and they are widely available.

Maybe a short section of chrome or stainless pipe from a big rig? I bet if you look around, something might surface.

953 nut
On 11/27/2017 at 7:20 AM, ohiofarmer said:

Harley guys are always doing away with stock mufflers in almost new condition

Worked for me!

046.JPG.9c688f788ebeba1b672b37e9f1e89eb7.JPG

• Like 2

artfull dodger

Never cared for the motorcycle exhaust turned into a stack.  If I do anything different it will be one of those custom jobs that he sells.  And yes, I would keep the horizontal set up she has now.  Not planning to change anything right away, its working well and not loud.  How well is your clone holding up.  I have seem them do ok, and others not last 50 hours of use if that much.  Mine is a genuine Yanmar L70ae out of a surplus military gen-set.     Mike the Aspie