artfull dodger

Any interest in a large Indiana WH event?

artfull dodger

Is there enough interest here to get a large WH event going here in Indiana?   Somewhere in the Kokomo to Southbend area?     Being that our Horses were built right here in the Hooser state, I would like to see a yearly WH event in this part of the country.  The local tractor club holds a show at the Greentown 4H fairgrounds that while having a huge and nice fair grounds, isn't well attended.   Its ripe to be overrun by a sea of red garden tractors.  Plenty of room for parades, pulling and showing.  Last year they made the mistake of having it on the same weekend as the L&GC show in Evansville, IN.  Not sure they have posted the 2018 dates yet.  Obviously a show up in Southbend would be really nice as that is home base for WH.  Would love to help get something started that all the Hoosier Horses can look forward to each year and others as well.  Mike the Aspie

• Like 8

Racinbob

You could count me in on attending and helping out in any way I could. Scott had a meet-n-greet every October in Leesburg and had an excellent turnout. Unfortunately the last year for it was a couple years ago. There is Mentone which I attended this past summer and it's popular. I thought about having one here since I have the room but the terrain just wouldn't lend itself to it. Let's see how much interest there is and go from there. :)

• Like 1

artfull dodger

The fairgrounds in Greentown are really nice and large.  Plenty of room for show and swap plus a play area.   Weather is usually really nice that time of year.   Show is normaly in late May or sometime in June.     Central location should be a draw with easy access from all directions.  Hotels in Kokomo for those from out of state.  They had a few camping on the fairgrounds this year.  There were more full size tractors than L&G this year.  And even then its not a huge turnout, so tons of room to grow the show.  I am sure they would be open to being over run with a mass of Indiana built lawn and garden tractors.   To myself, it makes no sense that the "big show" is held clear out in eastern PA.  To me the big one should be in or close to South Bend or atleast in the home state for the brand, but thats just my way of thinking.  I have never made the big show, its 12+ hours of driving with $3.00 a gallon diesel fuel, plus hotel costs.  So lets get one started here in Wheel Horse's  home state.   I am not the best at organizing or contacting strangers(autism issue), but I am willing to do what I can to help out.  Mike the Aspie

artfull dodger

I knew why it got started out there, just didn't make sense to me when I got into the brand, being an Indiana built tractor.   Someday I will make it out there, but gonna be a few years away yet.  

Racinbob

It's well worth the drive. We went in 2015 and 2016 driving up from Florida. Didn't go this year due to the move. We're going again this coming June and it will be nice making the drive in one day. :auto-car:

I don't think it would be too tough to get a pretty good turnout in this area. We just don't want it to conflict with any other shows in the area and certainly not the big show. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ACman

:text-yeahthat:......

I’d be in too ... The Southbend area would be the perfect place to draw people in from Indiana , Ohio , Michigan, Illinois and maybe even further .  The one thing I like about the Big Show is that it all Wheel Horse and that’s what makes it great .  So to me a all :wh:Wheel Horse near Southbend makes perfect sense . Not to take anything away from the Big Show as there’s nothing like it and every :wh:Horse-A-Holic should make the pilgrimage at least once .  

Could we start a poll to see how much interest there would be ?

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

SPINJIM

I would travel all the way from PA for a spring time show in Indiana because my son's family is in West Lafayette, so I would combine it with a trip to visit them.    

It just can't conflict with the PA WH show or the L&GC show.    I would probably not bring a tractor, because of the distance to haul my old trailer, but I would be there.

We need a good spring time show, when the temperature isn't 90 degrees.

Jim

• Like 2

artfull dodger

Having it up in Southbend would be awsome, and yes, we do not want to conflict with the big show or any other large shows.  I dont know that area of Indiana as well as I should.  If there is a decent show already up there we could approach about making it the midwestern WH meet, Kind of like how the Gravely guys have thier annual "mow in" at different shows rotating around the country so everybody can attend, instead of a fixed location.  In this part of the country, we also do not want the show/meet to be during spring planting or fall harvest.  Needs to be prior to or afterwards. Heck, even Portland could be a location.  The Gravely guys have had their "mow in" there before

Agreed Jim, late summer is oppressive with heat combined with Humidity here in Indiana.  May is about the beginning of stable decent weather here.  June is nice but that is the big one month.  April can be cold and wet or nice, its a crap shot.  The August Portland show is usually really hot and humid, but was really nice this year.   There is a nice show in Rochester right along US31 that is super easy to find, closer to Southbend than Kokomo or Greentown and has room to grow.  Usually has a decent showing of local Horses, has a play area with the teeter totter already.  Just needs a mass showing of red and more vendors of parts(had only 2 guys with just a few pieces with them).  

• Like 2

artfull dodger

I would love to do a raffle or fundraising to benefit either Autism Speaks or a local group in that area that helps others on the spectrum like I am.  Many ways we could raise money for this excellent cause. Plus bring attention to the fact that the disorder does not go away when the child turns 18 or goes off thier parents insurance.  This fact is often not talked about much with all the focus on childhood treatment, therapy and support.   Just an idea.   The Rochester show might be a good spot to have the first gathering.   The Great Midwest Gathering of the Herd, Wheel Horses that is! 

• Like 2

artfull dodger

The problem is, Rochester is usually the weekend before the WHCC show.   Are the dates anounced yet for next years big show?   That would help as i research what show we could possible use for an initial midwest gathering

BOB ELLISON

Count me in. I'm in Michigan and would like a show closer to me. I did attend the 2016 Big Show in PENNSYLVANIA  and the 6 hour drive wasn't bad by myself. 

But a 3 hours drive would be great before the big show if I have trouble driving to PA. And I could make it and drive home that night with out a hotel reservation. I LIKE IT.

squonk

PA show is always the Fri &Sat after Fathers Day

artfull dodger

The Fulton Co group is very interested.  Do we have someone here up that way that is willing to be the point man and get together with thier board and help me put this together?   They want to know how many vendors(if we can get one or two guys to bring stuff to sell, or more that 2 would be wonderful) along with a rough idea how many tractors might show up.  With my social difficulties due to my disorder, this is one area I need help in.   Via email I can handle, in person, not so much.     Thanks for the help in advance.  I hope we can make it happen    Mike the Aspie

asheric29

I'm the contact person for the garden tractor section at the show in Rochester any one interested in making this happen.please fill free to contact me.

Cell 574 205 2507 

Email asheric29@gmail.com 

Thanks Eric Halterman 

• Like 2

artfull dodger

Speaking of Eric!    Now is up to the RS group to make it happen.  I will bring my horse!   This is an excellent place guys for a warm up to the big one out east or for those that are unable to make the long drive to PA.  Mike

• Like 1

ACman

What is the dates? I could bring at least six maybe more (I do need to sell a few) more plus some parts .

Edited by ACman

asheric29

Father's day weekend.

• Like 1

artfull dodger

Ok, guys and gals, who can commit to bringing some horses to this years show so the gentleman can get an idea, as well if you know someone with WH parts to sell.   Lets try to get something started, even if its in a small way this year and build into something really nice

AlwaysLookin80

I’ll bring my daughters suburban I restored for her. I’m in northern Indiana. I’m looking for a 64 and older horse to buy to restore too so if there’s one there I’d be interested. IMG_6712.JPG.7f2b1f726306a02487a17ceb34433aae.JPGIMG_6710.JPG.53a6dbea88f9887e8e55c0105c5cdcfa.JPG 

Here’s a few others I’ve restored. If something annual comes around every year I’ll attend every year.IMG_0540.JPG.d448e280bb13e7b6604a9fa77cda7d1f.JPGIMG_2917.thumb.JPG.48a790640560fa0b440b4f16ad81d81d.JPG

• Excellent 3

asheric29

Beautiful tractors.yes please bring them.We need all we can get.We have our show father's day weekend every year.We will do whatever to accommodate.

artfull dodger

I am hoping we can develop this into a yearly gathering of Indiana and close by Horses.   I will have my autism horse there and I hope to pick up a second one for my wife to ride this spring.  Beautiful tractors BTW.    Mike the Aspie

jay bee

I am planning on being there and hopefully bringing a tractor.  Sounds like a good spot for a show for people in this part of the country.

WHX??
On 11/26/2017 at 8:58 AM, Racinbob said:

You could count me in on attending and helping out in any way I could. Scott had a meet-n-greet every October in Leesburg and had an excellent turnout. I thought about having one here since I have the room and would be willing to throw the grand  Suarez if those guys from Wisconsin would come!

Sorry......Couldn't  resist Bob!:ychain:

• Like 1

asheric29

Come one come all.we will be glad to have you all.