Lee1977

Bushings on the PTO and clutch shafts

Lee1977

I posted this before but as you know the pictures disappeared. 

I planed to use bushing with a flange, but I had some with out so I used them. The bushing are 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD and a inch long. I sawed them in half as I didn't need them that long. First I drilled the frame out to 5/8" as the original bushing were thinner. I also drilled for the PTO.

SAM_0315.jpg

Next I clean up the shafts with some emery cloth and tested the bushing fit .

SAM_0311.jpg

I then drove the bushing in to place. I busted one but it's been in place since Jan 2013 and has given any trouble.

SAM_0307.jpg

I had a little trouble getting the clutch shaft and back bushing lined up. The PTO shaft went right in.

SAM_0310.jpg

All back together and working as it should. The reason for this the PTO bushings were coming apart and the clutch shaft raddled like it was falling out when depressed.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 4

Sarge

If you ever need those thinner bushings - McMaster carries the thin walled type in stock . I use them in places where they had originally used the thin plastic bushings - sometimes you have to ream the hole slightly , but they last and work far better .

Sarge

• Like 1

953 nut
17 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

sawed them in half as I didn't need them that long.

They will probably last a long time, but the longer the bushing the longer it will hold up. We are talking pounds per square inch of pressure here so if it is twice as long it will feel only half the pressure.

Lee1977

The original bushings in the PTO lasted 36 years. The clutch shaft was metal to metal, could have been fixed a few years earlier. The oililes are at least three to four times better so I'm not worried about them wearing out soon. :D

• Thanks 1