Jump to content
cschannuth

FEL Build for 520

Recommended Posts

Not really much progress but it’s back on the “road” and running/working. 

 

25359821-3910-4F7B-B635-2B1DB66DA96A.thumb.jpeg.1e5f8a52a0ea20a68f1409f015448a9c.jpeg9ACF5839-5A18-4F47-9839-70FE861D3CE7.thumb.jpeg.1656f8ebbc5b302b3995d456a052a288.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now if you were feeling really energetic you could try going 4in1 on the bucket like this TYM sub compact in Australia, the foreign markets get all the good stuff and the tractor is about the size of the xi series, Jeff.

Screenshot_20171209-193738.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a little time off this week so I’m making some progress. I welded some box to the front hitch. It will act as a bumper and give me a point to attach the front of my angle braces. It’s a tight fit getting around the wide Onan using the Cub plans from PF Engineering but I think I made it work. 

 

I also mocked up one up one of the boom arms and the bucket brackets to check clearance. As it turns out, the forward swept axle and oversized 18” front tires make things a tight fit when turning the wheels with the bucket down. The tire rubs slightly on the boom arm. I think lowering the tower boom connection a 1/2” and raising the bucket boom connection 1” will give me the clearance needed without negatively affecting performance. 

 

DC3D9DF1-EA42-4542-9435-395904D4703D.jpeg.e2e1ee64e16c657dd62fcb37301dbc1c.jpeg64A1C0FD-0B79-4535-923A-B4B8CFF64F94.jpeg.8a2d11a568a7a2f0802812155df0e217.jpeg01EF0C53-79BF-4E50-8D60-D0F032A04757.jpeg.69859472489aa453652ef9cca1157cc8.jpeg82AD5F55-A2B3-42CB-8D0B-69585840B374.jpeg.195a8064f1d1a9c3f90b65302b8943b5.jpeg

C1EE3D6C-8F0C-43F0-8046-B8A937001DD5.jpeg.681f3193b768ef63dcd007dcb5b854d4.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I also mocked up one up one of the boom arms and the bucket brackets to check clearance. As it turns out, the forward swept axle and oversized 18” front tires make things a tight fit when turning the wheels with the bucket down. The tire rubs slightly on the boom arm. I think lowering the tower boom connection a 1/2” and raising the bucket boom connection 1” will give me the clearance needed without negatively affecting performance. 

 

You do really nice work Craig and clearly have the skills and knowledge. Just a suggestion, if you haven't done it already, is to check the clearance from the front tires with the axle tilted all the way up too. It just appears from the pics that it may still hit when tilted all the way up and the tire turned. I've built stuff without doing that and discovered some clearance issues too late and had to start over or modify. And since you haven't welded on the tower boom connection, could that pivot point be moved forward? :twocents-02cents:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wallfish said:

 

You do really nice work Craig and clearly have the skills and knowledge. Just a suggestion, if you haven't done it already, is to check the clearance from the front tires with the axle tilted all the way up too. It just appears from the pics that it may still hit when tilted all the way up and the tire turned. I've built stuff without doing that and discovered some clearance issues too late and had to start over or modify. And since you haven't welded on the tower boom connection, could that pivot point be moved forward? :twocents-02cents:

 

Thanks, John.  That's a good thought.  I did that to check my front bumper/angle brace clearance so I definitely need to to that for the boom arms too.  I suppose I could weld the tower boom connection tilted forward at an angle or fab up some new ones with the connection points moved forward a couple inches.  Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking that tilting it might mess up the geometry of it, but moving the pivot point ahead would be easiest. You could leave the tower where its at and just make new pivot plates or make new plates on the bottom of the tower. 

 

 

 

Randy

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice fab work! Its gonna look real sharp when its all finished up! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, cschannuth said:

 

I contacted Paul at PF Engineering and he recommended doing the same thing.  Thanks!

 

 

 

What are the round pieces of pipe for? (Edit:) The forum software doesn't quote the picture apparently. This part was in reference to @OILUJ52's front bucket picture.

 

 

Looks great! Building my loader was the most fun I have had with my tractor, and the handiest attachment. :) 

Love your weight box too. 

 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 8:11 PM, RandyLittrell said:

I am thinking that tilting it might mess up the geometry of it, but moving the pivot point ahead would be easiest. You could leave the tower where its at and just make new pivot plates or make new plates on the bottom of the tower. 

 

 

 

Randy

 

Randy,

 

I agree and Paul at PF Eng that would work best too. I’m moving the upper and lower pivot points on the tower forward a couple inches. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never mind

Edited by wallfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

 

 

 

What are the round pieces of pipe for?

 

 

Looks great! Building my loader was the most fun I have had with my tractor, and the handiest attachment. :) 

Love your weight box too. 

 

 

Thanks.  I think your talking about the 1” square box tubing. They will be my angle braces from the top of the tower down to the front bumper. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

 

Thanks.  I think your talking about the 1” square box tubing. They will be my angle braces from the top of the tower down to the front bumper. 



You replied before my edit. :) 
 

 


The forum software doesn't quote the picture apparently. This part was in reference to @OILUJ52's front bucket picture.



I thought maybe he had made an interesting attachment

5a1c3f215738c_FELBucketTiltMoreMod1.jpg.ec59e65ce2433b1ac6a744ee4c0397b6.jpg.bae07d74442000c978db2b915c595a58.jpg

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:



You replied before my edit. :) 
 

 


The forum software doesn't quote the picture apparently. This part was in reference to @OILUJ52's front bucket picture.



I thought maybe he had made an interesting attachment

5a1c3f215738c_FELBucketTiltMoreMod1.jpg.ec59e65ce2433b1ac6a744ee4c0397b6.jpg.bae07d74442000c978db2b915c595a58.jpg

 

Ah, yes. I was wondering the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here , wondered what the vertical round tubes are for on the back of the bucket...?

 

Sarge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are for a re-moveable safety hand rail. My wife stands in the bucket, holds on, and I drive around the hose while she hang x mas lights.

:D

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, OILUJ52 said:

Those are for a re-moveable safety hand rail. My wife stands in the bucket, holds on, and I drive around the hose while she hang x mas lights.

:D

 

 

Shoot, that’s right. I should have figured that out from your Christmas light post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one trusting spouse - mine would go for that like....never , lol .

Good idea , regardless - at least it's safer .

Sarge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally moved the tower pivot points forward a couple inches and did some hydraulics mock up. I’m not crazy about the lower tower mounts but I had the 1”x2” bar stock so that’s what I used. It looks a little clunky but it should work. I still need to do some welding cleanup but it looks like everything fits and will clear after some final adjustments. 

 

189A6ED7-E4A4-4881-BC58-13733DE59080.thumb.jpeg.0274ec24a3dc3c1df964b14b0d3bc34f.jpeg1B38085F-6E41-49F1-BF7A-7038C034F497.thumb.jpeg.92935dafbcaba5c390f9745635d90da3.jpegC09A397C-8FC9-41F4-B8EE-03E4A63114AA.jpeg.04065319c24ce22912b9d39efe56f11a.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job! Definitely learning and pondering some ideas of my own now for a build. But it's definitely looking good and I'm excited to see the rest of this project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Good job! Definitely learning and pondering some ideas of my own now for a build. But it's definitely looking good and I'm excited to see the rest of this project.

Thanks. It’s a slow process but very satisfying. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is going to be trial and success! Yes these projects are satisfying. Especially when completed and you start to use the machine.

I use my loader at least a couple times a month. It is a real back saver. I have even curled the bucket back and use it as a saw horse.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the bucket connection points worked out tonight. I highly recommend bolting the angle to the bucket loosely with bushings pressed in place, inserting pins through the bushings to line everything up, tightening the bolts, and then tacking the bushings to the angle. Getting the pins to slide snugly yet freely can be a challenge. 

D6438C08-F65B-4D61-9D36-08751093BFD4.thumb.jpeg.8b75c9ba400255bbed649401905e5419.jpeg1D732C55-774E-4110-957B-50BEE5EF5D0E.jpeg.728cda336f3692fb658946f0e6948fa3.jpegA190C666-5625-488A-8AAF-268334D28A29.jpeg.c343efc69e4eef6b46af8050063b7603.jpegFEF738A5-4E2A-48DD-A04D-5C054DC15429.jpeg.3d72e6a9b5c6553ca91533751076f940.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s been several months because I’ve been swamped at work but I’ve made some more progress. I need to add a couple more gussets and a plate to mount the hydraulic control and clean up a lot of welds. Then I think my ugly welding will be finished. 

D8E9CE07-1FCB-4E2A-8704-77BEE7578D03.jpeg.294a64967d8676989e49e28c6cc87fad.jpeg7188B899-3C60-4B2C-9443-63F8E4676E92.thumb.jpeg.3f44d975a8edd5f414d1082b08e7b997.jpegD6796EB4-C28C-4035-9FE2-43BAA4F5365B.thumb.jpeg.e4153679d4474ada996e465f017cf21f.jpeg804E20E2-DFD0-4743-BCE3-CCBEB96DD574.jpeg.1fb49dcc352d2a127837a177f16e834d.jpegCD2FA331-4AA6-463B-899C-2761F5314A73.jpeg.a267b0d0f53bfb4a85ba0638821bbbd4.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering how it was progressing, Craig. Looks great!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×